Get in that all-important quality family time and save bank this year with free and fun family activities! Not sure how to find them? Don't worry—we'll show you how to search “family events near me” and ACTUALLY find something your kids and teens will want to do!
If you think it's impossible to find something your whole family will enjoy that's also FREE, then we've got news for you. You really can! While a basic “family events near me” Google search may not pull much up, we have a few tricks up our sleeve we think you're really going to love. Trust us on this, mama.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
We know how hard it is to get in quality family time during our busiest seasons of life. Between the kids' extracurriculars, jobs, and just life in general, it's easy to put family fun on the back burner without even realizing it. Well, say no more! These handy dandy resources are going to make finding free family events near you so much easier.
HOW TO FIND FAMILY EVENTS NEAR ME
We are all about finding fun and free things to do near you! So much so that we've compiled some of the best resources we've found to help you find FREE (or nearly free) fun family events near you. Check these out and give them a go!
WORD OF MOUTH
We know it's a no-brainer… but just in case you forgot to do this, ask around! Talk to your mom friends and see if they know of any free family events in the area. You can also try asking the clerk in a local downtown business. They usually know the latest town news and events and they'll be glad to help!
If you haven't heard of Hulafrog, you are seriously missing out. Walk, no… run to check out hulafrog.com right now! Organized by moms, this resource is genius for parents looking for family-friendly activities! Search your area for tons of fun family events. Everything on this list is mom-approved and kid-focused. Plus, they've even included loads of virtual events for those days when you can't get out.
Did you know you can actually search “free things to do with kids” on Yelp? Try it! It's a great way to start the search in your local area. Bonus? It shows you reviews, too! This free resource is a total gem and often gives more specific results than a Google search alone.
PINTEREST IS YOUR FRIEND
Have you ever gotten on Pinterest for one thing only to come away with 23 new recipes to try, 17 home projects to DIY, and 100 reasons to love vinegar? Wait, what were you searching for again? Ha! Yeah, we get it. Well, in this case, Pinterest is a GOLD MINE!
Search free family events in your city and see what comes up. If you live in a smaller town, try searching in the nearest metropolitan area for better luck! You may be surprised how many people are looking for the same thing you are.
GO TO THE LIBRARY
The public library is one of the best places to find out about free family events in your area. Not only do they usually have information on family-friendly town events, but they often host them. While you're there, get yourself a library card and check out this post on 10 awesome library card freebies!
NARROW YOUR SEARCH TO FIND “FAMILY EVENTS NEAR ME”
Before you start typing “how to find free family events near me” in your Google search bar, check out these ideas to help you get more specific with your search. Searching specifically for one of these events or activities in your city or county will help narrow down your results, saving you time and stress!
- State and National Parks – Not all state and national parks are free to get into, but many are! Even if there is a fee, it's typically only a few dollars per vehicle. Score!
- Lakes and Rivers – There are lakes and rivers everywhere! Search spots local to you and find out what there is to do there. There may even be a free beach where you can play and swim for the day!
- Live Music Events – Who doesn't love live music? We sure do… Some towns host free live music events downtown to encourage traffic for local businesses. Take advantage! Pack a blanket and a picnic if it's outside and don't forget to pack the glow sticks if it's an evening event.
- U-Pick Farms – Tons of U-Pick farms are open to the public without a charge to get in. Sure, they want you to grab a bucket and pick some fruit, but often it's optional. Instead, enjoy the great outdoors and the free live music if they offer it.
- Free Museum – Check your city website or Facebook page for local museums that don't have an entrance fee. There are so many out there!
- Seasonal Festivals – Local town festivals are a great place to take the family for a day full of fun. There are often tons of free kid-friendly activities and plenty of live music for some impromptu family dancing! Pack a lunch and you never have to spend a penny.
- Farmer's Market – Do a quick search and find out where your local farmer's markets are. Depending on where you live, they may be seasonal.
- Free Zoos – Yes, believe it or not, there are several free (and awesome!) zoos throughout the country!
While this list isn't exhaustive, it's a great resource to get your search started!
GET CREATIVE TO FIND FAMILY EVENTS NEAR ME
If you're still struggling to find free family events near you, get those creative juices flowing and make your own. Here are a few of our favorite FREE family activities you can do on your own with little to no planning at all!
- Have a picnic.
- Watch the sunset at the lake.
- Take a hike.
- Host a backyard projector movie night.
- Go fishing together.
- Take a family bike ride around the town.
- Have a chalk day.
- Host a family game night.
With these awesome resources by your side, you'll be scoring info on free family events near you in no time! Not only will your kids have a blast, but you'll also be saving money and scoring big on quality family time. Shhh, we won't tell them it didn't cost a penny. 😉
What is your family's favorite free event to do together? Tell us in the comments below!
Want more awesome fun, cheap, and free content? Check out these posts, too!
- Check out our ultimate summer bucket list and grab the free printable today!
- We know you're busy, mama! Check out this brain dump tip and free up space in your mind fast!
- Get our best productivity tips and our new productivity planner TODAY! It will change. your. life.
Now, go forth and make those memories!