The grass is green, the sun is shining, the birds are chirping… IT'S SUMMERTIME!!! Soak up those rays with your family every chance you get; you know it'll be gone in the blink of an eye. Use our free printable summer bucket list to help you make the most of your time together!
With summer comes all the fun things! School is finally out, it's warm enough to go jump in the pool, and you've got alllllll day to do those fun summer activities… “Wait, what? Now I have to come up with fun ideas? How are we going to fill our day? OMG what am I gonna do???”
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
You know we've got your back! We've rounded up the most fun summer bucket list ideas and put them on a super cute and free printable, just for you. With fun ideas to do at home, cheap ways to get out of the house, and our favorite summer foods, you'll be able to fill your days with fun without having to wrack your brain for ideas.
SUMMER BUCKET LIST IDEAS FOR INSIDE
Sometimes you just can't get out of the house and that's okay! You can still have fun while staying at home and it's usually much cheaper. We've got lots of great summer bucket list ideas you won't want to miss out on.
- Homemade Playdough – It's so much fun to make your own playdough!
- Tie-Dye Shirts – This is always a fun craft, especially since you get to wear your creation when you're done!
- Paper Plate Crafts – The sky's the limit when it comes to this! Make animals, dinosaurs, rainbows, and more. Pinterest has some great ideas!
- Marshmallow and Toothpick Houses – Let those little minds get creative! Have a competition to see who can build the biggest or tallest house.
- Homemade Finger Paint – Finger paints are so fun and this homemade version won't disappoint.
- Paper Airplanes – It's contest time! Learn how to make paper airplanes and test out which folding technique will get your airplane to fly the furthest.
- Painter's Tape Race Track – Painter's tape is great because you can put it on your floor and it'll easily come off without leaving a sticky residue. Make a race track and it'll keep your kids busy for a while with their little cars!
- Bird Feeder – Save your toilet paper rolls and make some cheap and easy bird feeders. Cover them with peanut butter and seeds, run a string through the middle, and tie them up in a tree. The birds will love it!
- Puffy Paint – Grab some shaving cream and food coloring and you've got some easy DIY puffy paint. Perfect for finger painting and paint brushes, alike.
Don't those all sound like so much fun? Not only are they a great way to bond together, but they're just as much fun for the adults as they are for the kids!
SUMMER BUCKET LIST IDEAS TO GET OUTSIDE AT HOME
Get outside while you're at home! The whole family will love these ideas to have fun and be active together. If you put the effort and focus into really bonding with your kids, then you'll be making some of their most fun and cherished memories this summer!
- Fairy Garden – Make your own fairy garden! You can either grab some cheap figurines from the dollar store or use whatever figurines you have at home. Who says Mickey and Minnie can't be in a fairy garden?!
- Play with Sidewalk Chalk – Chalk is always so fun! Up your chalk game and make sidewalk paint the next time your kids want to play with some.
- Fire Pit – What's better than sitting around a fire pit during the summer?! Just don't forget the bug spray.
- Hopscotch – Grab your chalk and make the ultimate hopscotch pattern.
- Jump Rope – You can never go wrong with a jump rope! It's always fun to see how fast you can go.
- Bubbles – Oh bubbles, they're so fun for everyone! Whether you're blowing them on your own or using a bubble machine, they're always fun to chase around and try to pop.
- Ride a Bike – Get on those bikes and get some exercise! Bonus points if you go on a family bike ride around the neighborhood.
- Wash the Car – Skip the carwash and wash your cars at home. It's a great way for the whole family to have some fun, especially if it ends in a water fight!
- Homemade Slip n Slide – All you need is heavy-duty plastic sheeting, landscape anchors, baby soap, and a water hose. You can easily make a fun slip n slide that'll last you all summer! Just be sure to move it around so it doesn't kill your grass.
- Water Balloon Fight – Is it really summer if you don't have a water balloon fight??
- Outdoor Movie – We love a good movie night! Take it outside and watch a movie under the stars! Use a projector on a sheet or move your tv outside.
- Stargazing – Let the kids stay up late and look at the constellations!
- Play in the Sprinklers – Water your yard while the kids have fun!
- Obstacle Course – Let your kids make their own obstacle course. It'll provide hours of entertainment and they'll get to be creative.
If you're loving these ideas, then you definitely want to make sure you grab our free summer bucket list printable! We've got all of these ideas on there, plus some extra blanks for you to fill in your own.
SUMMERTIME FOOD YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS OUT ON
Alright, on to our favorite topic… FOOD! You definitely don't want to miss out on these. They don't have to be expensive or extravagant for everybody to have fun with them.
- Homemade Popsicles – Help to beat the heat! Keep a constant supply of homemade popsicles in your freezer that you can easily grab when the urge strikes.
- Host a BBQ – We love throwing outdoor parties! Have one just for your family or invite all your friends over. You'll have a blast and it's possible to do it on a budget!
- Have a Picnic – Grab a blanket and head outside! Keep it easy by going to the backyard or pack everything up and head to the park. We have lots of picnic ideas in this post to make it extra fun!
- Lemonade Stand – Make your own lemonade stand (they're a great way for kids to make money!) or go on the hunt for one.
- Local Produce Stand – It's always fun to let the kids pick out fruit and veggies at a roadside stand. Bonus points if it's part of farm where you can pick your own fruit!
- S’mores – Marshmallow, chocolate, and graham crackers… Need we say more? You can even make s'mores in the microwave if you don't have a way to make them outside!
- Peach Cobbler – It doesn't take much to make a peach cobbler! You can use fresh peaches or canned, it'll be delicious either way. Make it together as a family and it'll taste that much better.
- Dirt Cake – What's more fun than eating a dirt cake for kids?! Put it in a clean sand pail and top with gummy worms to make it extra fun.
- Homemade Ice Cream – It's so fun and easy to make ice cream! An electric ice cream maker will do all the hard work for you and all you have to focus on is deciding if you want it to be fruity or chocolate.
- Goodies for Fire/Police Station – It's always a nice gesture to make some treats for those who work so hard to keep our communities safe! Just make sure to ask what their policies are on receiving homemade goods.
- Snow Cones – These are life around here during the summer. We keep our snow cone machine and a variety of syrups on hand so we can have this refreshing summer treat whenever the urge strikes… Which is pretty much every day. 😉
- Homemade Jam – One of the best parts about summertime is all the delicious fruits. Use the cheap fruit to your advantage and make a bunch of jam or jelly to eat on all throughout the year!
Ummmm, yes please! Plan for them and work them into your weekly grocery budget. It is possible to have some treats while not going over budget! And it's so much cheaper than running to the ice cream shop or snow cone stand in town.
FREE PLACES TO GO
Let's get out of the house! Here are our favorite free places to get you out, about, and having all kinds of fun.
- 4th of July Party and Fireworks – Celebrate the 4th with a BANG!
- Park – Go fly a kite, play on the playground, throw a ball, play basketball, play frisbee golf… So much fun and free things to do!
- Fishing – Catch and release or take home for dinner, fishing is always a fun way to bond! (And a good way to work on everybody's patience, too.)
- Camping – This is always a fun one! Keep it free by heading to the backyard. Still just as fun but you don't have to worry about paying a nightly rate.
- Hiking – Take to the trails!
- Beach or Lake – It's always fun to head to the beach or lake. Play in the sand, skip rocks in the water, and look for shells!
- Scavenger Hunt – It's always fun to make up a scavenger hunt for the kids! You can do it inside or outside, just use what you've got.
You're definitely going to make some wonderful family memories as you check items off your summer bucket list. As you can see, it doesn't take any money at all to get out of the house and have fun! Pack up food and items from around your house to take with you to keep the cost down.
NOSTALGIC SUMMER BUCKET LIST IDEAS
When you think back on your childhood summers, what sticks out to you the most? We bet some of them are below! You don't have to break the bank to be able to do these, either. Start looking for specials and deals now. Sometimes places will have free or discounted days of the week or times. Groupon is a great resource to find these type of deals!
- Zoo – Go early in the morning and make a day of it to really get your money's worth! Look into whether or not you can take food and drink in to save money.
- Swimming Pool – Load up for the day and head to the pool! Don't forget your sunscreen and towels.
- Aquarium – Go see the fish and marvel at all the colors. They're usually indoors, so the air conditioning is a plus!
- Water Park – This was always a kid favorite!
- County or State Fair – Between the rides and the sites, the whole family will have fun at the fair.
- Ride a Train – Trains are so fascinating, no matter how old you are. Find a train you can ride near you and we promise that the whole family will love it!
- Mini Golfing – PUTT PUTT! This is something the whole family can get behind.
- Day Trip – Been wanting to visit an area near you? Make a plan to go enjoy the sites!
- Neighborhood Block Party – Don't miss out on your neighborhood block party! Don't have one? Plan one and get all the neighbors in on it.
- Museum – Get some education in while also seeing some cool exhibits and enjoying the refreshing A/C.
Ahhhh, to be a kid again. Lucky for you, you get to do all of these fun summer bucket list ideas with them! Add your family favorites to the list and you'll have the perfect summer, whatever that means to you.
Yes, we know, this is what you really wanted! We have two options for you. This summer bucket list printable has been filled out with all of these great ideas so all you have to do is print and start having fun!
This summer bucket list printable is blank and you can fill out as a family, to make all of your summer dreams come true!
Alright, well there you have it! Our favorite summer bucket list ideas to help you make the most of your summer with the whole family. What's something that you like to do every summer? Let us know in the comments!
Looking for more ideas to make your summer more enjoyable?
- Use these summer life hacks to make the most of your time together at home.
- Keep your sanity at home and help everybody remember what they need to do during the day by using the daily summer checklist.
- You've got to try these awesome summer date night ideas!