If you're tired of scrolling Pinterest for the perfect dinner ideas, then you're in the right place! Today we're sharing an incredibly yummy and easy Mexican sandwich recipe that we think your whole family will love. Let's taco about it, eh?!
We've never met a Mexican dish we don't love. Sign us up for all the Taco Tuesdays and Mexican Mondays in the world, and we're there! But, now and then, it's nice to serve something besides tacos. Like, say, this Mexican sandwich.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
This foolproof dish is a perfect way to turn your leftover chicken into a meal everyone will love. With just a handful of ingredients, these sandwiches come together in no time. So, what do you say we start cooking?!
GATHER YOUR INGREDIENTS: HOW TO MODIFY THIS MEXICAN SANDWICH RECIPE
As any frugal foodie would, we cook using what we have on hand before rushing to the store and buying more ingredients. If you're used to following recipes to the tee, that might sound scary, but trust us. Once you start shelf cooking, you'll never go back! Learning how to tweak recipes is one of the easiest ways to save time and money. Here's how you can modify this Mexican sandwich recipe to fit your needs:
- Chicken – If you don't have time to cook chicken, pull a bag of shredded chicken out of the freezer. You could also use leftover rotisserie chicken!
- Garlic – No fresh garlic? Use 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Cheese – Literally any kind will work. As long as it's shredded, it's fair game.
- Salsa – The brand doesn't matter, but we suggest a chunkier salsa so your bread doesn't get too soggy. In a pinch, you can sub in diced tomatoes.
- Bread – We used French bread, but you can use whatever thick bread you have on hand.
- Seasonings – Mix and match with whatever you have. Some fresh cilantro or a nice squeeze of lime is a perfect addition!
If you don't want to use chicken at all, leftover turkey is an option. Using up leftover meat reduces food waste and saves you a heck of a lot of time, so we're all for it!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH YOUR SANDWICHES
The beautiful thing about having sandwiches for dinner is that you can keep the sides really simple. Here are five quick ideas:
- Chips and Salsa – You HAVE to try this easy black bean and corn salsa!
- Corn on the Cob – Enough said!
- Mixed Greens – Sandwiches and salads are the perfect combo!
- Soup – You know what else is great with a sandwich? Soup! If you love Mexican food, this easy taco soup will be right up your alley.
- Fresh Fruit – Slice up your fruit and call it good!
You don't have to stress over the sides, so keep it simple. A bag of steamed veggies is a-okay, too!
HAVE LEFTOVERS? HERE'S WHAT TO DO!
If you end up with some extra chicken mixture, set it aside for later. While sandwiches don't make the best leftovers, this filling is pretty much gold! Here are few other quick ways to use up this Mexican chicken:
- Make a burrito bowl
- Add it to an omelet
- Put it in stuffed peppers
- Make zucchini boats (Pssst…try this zucchini boats recipe from Shelf Cooking!)
- Top a tostada shell
- Make taco salads
You get the idea, right? A little extra chicken will go a long way, so save any leftovers in an airtight container and plan to use them within three days.
Pro Tip: One of the best ways to save money on your grocery bill is to make meat a feature in your meals rather than the main ingredient. Recipes like these are the perfect way to stretch that meat!
OUR FAVORITE MEXICAN SANDWICH RECIPE
It's recipe time, you guys, and this one sure is GOOD! Cheap, easy, and delicious, these Mexican sandwiches check all the boxes. Here we go!
Easy Mexican Chicken Sandwiches
- 1½ tbsp oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp Cayenne pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1½ cups shredded cheese, divided
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 4 slices French bread
- ½ cup chunky salsa
- Preheat your oven to broil.
- While oven preheats, combine your oil and seasonings in a mixing bowl, then brush over your chicken.
- Over medium heat, saute your chicken for 7-8 minutes per side.
- While your chicken cooks, combine the mayonnaise and cheese in a small bowl and slice your bread into eight pieces.
- Place the bread in the oven to broil for around 2-3 minutes. Then, remove from oven and slather four of the pieces with the cheese and mayo mixture.
- Put one piece of chicken on each slice of toast with the mayonnaise and cheese, then top with salsa and each of the remaining slices of bread. Once you've assembled the sandwiches, serve and enjoy!
Can you even handle how good those look?! Give them a try. You won't be disappointed!
Now you've got another go-to option for your weekly meal plan. We bet your family will ask for these Mexican chicken sandwiches again and again, so just be prepared!
Before you go, will you leave us a comment? We'd love to know what your all-time favorite Mexican dish is, so drop a comment below.
Want to try a few more of our favorite recipes?
- This 10-minute mini quiche recipe is a foolproof go-to.
- You have to try these quick and easy donut holes!
- Our cheap and easy party punch is a crowd-pleaser!
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
Made this tonight- it was yummy! I just used whole wheat hamburger buns since that's what I had on hand.