We love a quick and easy dip, and this black bean and corn salsa recipe does not disappoint! It's delicious by itself with chips and is the epitome of shelf cooking. Bonus? The leftovers really spice up anything that you add them to!
We love a delicious, cheap, and easy Mexican recipe in our house! It's what makes the world go 'round, really. While we love a good homemade salsa, sometimes we just want a little more oomph, pizzazz, and heartiness to our snacking.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
That's where the easiest and most delicious black bean and corn salsa recipe came into our lives and rocked our world. It's one of our favorite ways to snack on some tortilla chips and it's actually filling when you eat it! We also love repurposing the leftovers. Adding it to other meals keeps it from going to waste while also upping the flavors of your other meals! Now that's a win-win in our book. So first, let's get started with…
HOW TO SHELF COOK BLACK BEAN AND CORN SALSA
Our black bean and corn salsa doesn't call for a ton of ingredients, which is what we love about it! There are a few substitutions you can make using your pantry staples to keep from running to the store when the desire strikes you.
- Beans – The recipe calls for a can of black beans, but you can easily substitute kidney or pinto beans if you have those instead. You can also use dry beans and make your own! Just be sure to drain whatever beans you're using.
- Corn – White shoepeg corn tastes the best, but don't be afraid to use good ol' regular yellow corn. Canned, fresh off the cob, and frozen will all work great!
- Tomatoes – Canned diced tomatoes are always a quick and easy way to throw some flavor into a dish. You can also dice your own fresh tomatoes and throw them in your black bean and corn salsa.
- Onion – A red onion is our choice in this easy recipe because it tends to have a milder flavor. You can also sub in a yellow or white onion if you're still wanting that crunch and flavor. And when all else fails, use onion powder if you're out of fresh!
- Other Veggies – If you have any other veggies in your fridge that need to be used up, go ahead and toss them in! Bell pepper, avocado, cucumber… we've even added in mango a time or two.
Pretty simple, right? As you can see, there's no one-and-only way of making this easy recipe. You're going to be a pro shelf cooker by the end of this! 😉
OTHER WAYS TO USE IT
Since you really want to eat up the salsa the same day you make it, our favorite way to devour this is to take tortilla chips and just dig in. But don't make yourself sick just because you don't want to have any leftovers go to waste! Here are some other ways you can use it once it's not so fresh.
- Put it on top of beef, pork, or chicken tacos
- Add to taco salad
- Mix it in with scrambled eggs or omelets
- Add it to a fajita bowl
- Give quesadillas a little something extra in the filling
- Add it to taco soup
- Mix it in with enchilada filling
- Add it to a burrito to give it some extra flavors
- Make southwestern baked potatoes
- Make nachos by adding it to some chips and cheese
Sometimes we make extra just so we can add it in with other meals once we eat it fresh with chips! It's sooooo good. And you put that effort in to making it, so why not make it last as long as possible?? 😉
THE EASIEST BLACK BEAN AND CORN SALSA RECIPE
Alright, are you ready for the simplest and most delicious thing that you'll make this week?!
Black Bean and Corn Salsa
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 can white shoepeg corn
- 1 can diced tomatoes, partially drained
- Diced avocado, optional
- Diced jalapeño, optional
- Diced red onion, optional
- Lime juice, to taste
- 1-2 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- Mix beans, cilantro, corn, diced tomatoes, diced avocado, diced jalapeño, and onions (if desired).
- Add lime juice and red pepper flakes, if desired. (Red pepper will make it spicier!)
- Cover and cool in the fridge for at least 3 hours so the flavors can mix and the salsa will get cold.
- Serve and enjoy!
Thank you, Aunt Alison, for the delicious black bean and corn salsa recipe! It's seriously gorgeous and tastes SO GOOD. We make this for parties all the time and people just gush over it. It's so easy to double or triple the recipe for larger crowds!
Alright, well now that you're a black bean and corn salsa master, don't waste any time making it! Let us know how much you love it in the comments!
Have you checked out ShelfCooking.com yet? Our brand new site is dedicated to helping you cook delicious, homemade, down-home-cooked meals for your family without spending all your time in the kitchen!
Basically every parent's dream, right? Join our Shelf Cooking Community today!
Looking for more delicious recipes?
- Try out these 37 Mexican food recipes that black bean and corn salsa would go amazingly well with!
- Make Mexican chicken sandwiches to go along with your fresh black bean and corn salsa!
- You definitely don't wanna miss our Mexican hot chocolate!