Warm up on a cold day with this easy taco soup recipe. You can put it together in a snap and you likely have most of the ingredients on hand already!
Everyone has a go-to meal. It’s one that you can make in a flash and you usually have the ingredients on-hand. (Hello, shelf cooking!) It's quick, easy, cheap, and tastes good. What's yours? Mine is…(drumroll, please)… taco soup!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
It's seriously the easiest thing ever and tastes delish. It’s so filling and is one of the best things to eat on a cold day. The best part about this easy taco soup? It can be made on the stove or in the crockpot. Alright, alright, enough talking! Let’s get to the recipe and mouth-watering pictures…
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS EASY TACO SOUP RECIPE
Taco soup is a very versatile recipe. There are some basic ingredients that you need, but you can really use whatever you have and it’ll still taste as delicious as ever!
- Ground Meat – I prefer to use ground beef. I usually stock up when it’s on sale, cook it all up and freeze it in 1 pound freezer bags. That way it's already cooked and ready to simply throw in, no cooking needed! You can also use cooked ground turkey or chicken.
- Onion – I buy the huge bags from Costco and leave them in my fridge. They last for-ev-er! I’ve also used frozen onion and powdered onion for those times that I’ve completely run out of onions.
- Corn – I tend to stock up on corn when it’s on sale (if you haven’t learned that about me yet). You can use canned, fresh off the cob, or frozen.
- Beans – I love buying these by the case during case lot sales so I always have lots of them on-hand. I usually use kidney and black beans. Ranch Style Beans are good, too (and you don’t have to drain and rinse them)!
- Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies – AKA Rotel, but the store brands taste just as good and are cheaper!
- Tomato Sauce – This helps to give the soup some good flavor. If you have tomato paste, you can make your own tomato sauce by adding water until it reaches the right consistency.
- Taco Seasoning – This is clutch in taco soup. I buy the big containers from Costco. You can also buy the little envelopes when they are on sale or make your own (which is super easy and you probably have all of the ingredients already)!
- Ranch Dressing – This adds a little extra creaminess and zip to it. You can buy the big containers of ranch dressing mix, or grab the packets when they go on sale. You can also substitute in regular ranch dressing if you don’t have any of the powder on hand.
- Cilantro – I don't always have this on hand, but when I do, I like to throw some in the soup.
- Beef Stock – If you are using fresh or frozen ingredients, then you may need to add a little extra liquid to make it reach your desired soupiness. I like to add in a little Better Than Bouillon Beef Base with some water when it’s not quite soupy enough for me. You can also add in regular beef stock or just plain old water. Just taste it to see if it needs any extra seasonings if you’re just adding water!
WHAT GOES WELL WITH TACO SOUP
This easy taco soup is delicious on its own, but you pair it with these extras and it’ll go above and beyond!
- Crushed Tortilla or Corn Chips
- Cornbread (Try out my super easy cornbread recipe that’s ready in 20 minutes!)
- Mexican Rice
- Sour Cream
- Red Onions
- Green Onions
- Jalapeno Peppers
- Sliced Avocado
EASY TACO SOUP RECIPE
You really couldn’t ask for an easier recipe to make on a cold day! You can whip this up on the stove in no time. However, I will say that the longer it sits and simmers, the more flavor you’ll get!
I absolutely love eating it for leftovers and it freezes really well, too. Feel free to double it if you plan on feeding a lot of people or are wanting to freeze it for later!
Easy Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 Lb Ground Beef
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 1 Can Whole Kernel Corn, Not Drained
- 2 Cans Beans, Rinsed and Drained
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies, Not Drained
- 1 Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 Pkt Taco Seasoning
- 1 Pkt Ranch Dressing Mix
- Cilantro, To Taste
- Beef Stock (Optional)
- Brown ground beef and onion until cooked all the way through. Drain, if needed.
- Add in all other ingredients. Add beef stock to reach desired consistency.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer until ready to eat.
- Serve with desired toppings. Enjoy!
Told you it was super easy!
HOW TO MAKE IT IN THE SLOW COOKER
If you have the time to cook this easy taco soup recipe in the slow cooker, it really is the way to go! It gets plenty of time to simmer and really have all of the flavors come together. Cook your ground meat and onion on the stove and add taco seasoning. Grab your slow cooker and put a liner in it for easy clean up (that makes it totally worth the cost for me!).
Add your meat and onion mixture, along with all of your other ingredients (minus the cilantro). Rinse and drain your beans before adding them. Add beef stock or water to make it the desired consistency and any extra seasonings to taste. Cook on low for 4-8 hours. Add cilantro the last 30 minutes, if desired.
HOW TO FREEZE TACO SOUP
This is a great recipe to double when you make it because it freezes so well! Make it like normal, then put it in a freezer container and label it with the date on a sticky note. Since it will likely still be warm, put it in the refrigerator until it completely cools. Once it reaches that point, you can stick in in the freezer and voila! You have a quick, easy and delicious meal for those busy nights.
HOW TO THAW AND REHEAT
When you're making your meal plan for the week, mark which day that you'll need to stick your taco soup in the refrigerator to start thawing. Depending on how much you froze in the container, you may need to stick it in there two days before you're wanting to eat it to give it plenty of time to thaw.
To reheat the whole batch, dump it in a pan and heat it until it's warmed all the way through. If you're not going to be able to eat it all at once, then put it in a microwave-safe bowl and heat it in 30 second increments until it's warmed all the way through. Top it off how you like and enjoy! 🙂
Are you seeing why this is the easiest and most delicious taco soup recipe, ever?! I’m curious, what are your favorite things to pair with your taco soup? Let me know in the comments!
Have you checked out ShelfCooking.com yet? Our brand new site is dedicated to helping you cook delicious, nutritious and budget-friendly meals for your family without slaving away in the kitchen!
Basically every parent's dream, right? Join our Shelf Cooking Community today!
Looking for more soup recipes?
- Try out the world’s best butternut squash soup!
- If you like potatoes, then you’ll LOVE this loaded baked potato soup!
- This slow cooker creamy tomato and basil soup is a definite winner.
- Here’s another slow cooker winner – creamy turkey soup (made from leftovers!).