This loaded baked potato soup recipe is sure to be a family favorite during the cold weather! It's super easy, hearty, can feed a crowd, and reheats like new out of the freezer.
Cooler weather calls for warm foods that'll heat you up from the inside out. We call for delicious foods that'll keep you from breaking the budget. Our loaded baked potato soup is the best of both worlds!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
This recipe is not only incredibly quick and easy to toss together, but it's an extremely affordable meal. (Hashtag, WIN-WIN.) It's the perfect shelf cooking recipe since it uses things you most likely have on-hand. It's also a great way to use up leftover baked potatoes!
Plus, creamy soup is the ultimate comfort food, so this soup is basically as functional as a Swiss Army Knife. Ready to see what it's all about? Let's get to it!
SHELF COOK YOUR WAY THROUGH OUR LOADED BAKED POTATO SOUP
This recipe is so simple, yet so delicious! There are a number of ways you can change up the different ingredients within this recipe and still turn out with an amazingly tasty loaded baked potato soup. #ShelfCooking for the win!
- Potatoes – The recipe calls for freshly diced potatoes, but you can totally make potato soup from mashed potatoes or leftover baked potatoes! When you use leftover potatoes, it just cuts down on the cooking time. You'll have a steaming, hearty bowl of loaded baked potato soup in front of you in no time! Use the same amount of potatoes and add directly to the milk pot to heat up.
- Onion – Talk about a great way to flavor your loaded potato soup! The recipe calls for a freshly diced onion, but you can also use frozen diced onions if you have those instead. You can also use dried, minced onion or onion powder to taste to get that delicious flavor.
- Milk – Any type of milk will work, but skim may be a bit thinner than if you use higher fat milk. You can also substitute in half and half or heavy cream for a portion of the milk if you don't have enough regular milk, but going over half may make it super thick! Dairy-free milks will also work, you'll just have to play around with the different types to see what your family likes best.
- Chicken Bouillon Seasoning – We always keep Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base in stock. It's a definite kitchen staple around here! You can also use the chicken bouillon cubes or plain ol' chicken broth or stock.
- Corn – Canned corn is simple, but you can also leftover corn on the cob (cut off the cob, of course) or frozen corn. If you go for frozen, give it plenty of time to heat up in the soup or thaw it in the microwave and drain before adding it to the soup.
- Bacon – We love bacon bits because they'll keep forever in the refrigerator or freezer! You can also cook up your own bacon and chop it up before adding it to your loaded baked potato soup.
Pro Tip: If you want a less chunky soup, then use a potato masher once it comes to a boil to knock down any of larger chunks. If you want a super creamy soup, use an immersion blender to get rid of all the chunks!
WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVERS
Eat them, of course! 😉 You may be surprised, but the loaded baked potato soup leftovers are somehow even better than when it's freshly made. They'll keep for up to a week in the fridge and you can either reheat in individual bowls in the microwave or on the stovetop.
HOW TO FREEZE AND THAW LOADED BAKED POTATO SOUP
This soup freezes spectacularly well! Put it in an airtight freezer container, allow to cool, and stick it in the freezer until you're ready for an easy meal. When that time comes, stick it in the fridge overnight to thaw. Then, reheat it in your soup pot on the stove, low and slow.
You'll never believe that the weird-looking glob of potatoes in your pot will eventually turn back into the creamy potato soup that we all know and love! Just keep stirring it and it'll magically come back to life in no time, right before your eyes.
THE EASIEST POTATO SOUP RECIPE
This recipe is so delicious, you'll be drooling by the time it's done cooking! Stick to the recipe or use what you've got and make substitutions… Either way, it'll be your new favorite loaded baked potato soup recipe. You can thank us later. 😉
Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe
- 6 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp chicken bouillon seasoning
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup flour
- 6 cups milk
- 2 cans corn, drained
- 1 cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup bacon bits
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Onion powder, to taste
- 2 Tbsp ranch dressing seasoning
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small pot, add diced potatoes and onions. Add water until potatoes are just covered. Stir in bouillon.
- Bring to a boil. Boil until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large stock pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour until smooth and thick.
- Gradually stir in milk 1 cup at a time, whisking constantly until thickened.
- Stir in the drained potato & onion mixture and the corn.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Add salt, pepper, and additional seasonings to taste.
- Stir in sour cream and bacon.
- Serve in bowls and top with cheddar cheese and parsley or chives for garnish.
So easy, right? Our loaded baked potato soup recipe can feed an army, but feel free to double or triple the recipe (as long as you have a large enough stockpot!) if you need to feed more people. Serve with your favorite crusty bread and you'll have a new family favorite!
Easy peasy, right? Give our loaded baked potato soup a try! Let us know if your family loves it as much as ours in the comments below. Just don't stress out so much about the recipe. It really is fail-proof. Add ingredients until it tastes good and POOF. There you go!
Have you checked out ShelfCooking.com yet? Our brand new site is dedicated to helping you cook delicious, homemade, down-home-cooked meals for your family without spending too much time in the kitchen!
Basically every parent's dream, right? Join our Shelf Cooking Community today!
Looking for more great ideas?
- Stick to your grocery budget by shelf cooking with recipes like this delicious potato soup!
- Learn how to meal plan with easy meals like this and make your week a whole lot easier!
- You don't want to miss out on our easy and delicious taco soup recipe!