It's no lie that I have a deep, unwavering, unbridled love for my slow cooker (especially lately with how busy we've been, getting ready to move!). I LOVE a good, easy, slow cooker recipe (which is why I have an entire slow cooker ebook!), especially one that falls in the “comfort food” zone. I happened to have found the most AMAZING slow cooker tomato basil soup recipe, and went to nuts over it, I asked the author (Amanda from The Chunky Chef) if she'd be willing to share it with us! Now that we're all slobbering let's get on with the recipe. Take it away, Amanda!
* * * * * *
Hello FunCheapOrFree readers! I'm Amanda, and you can find me cooking and blogging over at The Chunky Chef! I've brought you one of the very first recipes I posted on my blog, and it's definitely a fan-favorite! The best part? It cooks in the slow cooker! I looooove my slow cooker on cold days…which, this winter has been full of them. Hope you enjoy this recipe as well!
Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Basil Soup Recipe:
- 2 15-oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 10-oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable stock to make it vegetarian)
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese, shredded
For the Roux:
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, onion, basil, salt, pepper, heavy cream and vegetable or chicken broth to your crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (although it can be done on high for 2 hours as well). Stir occasionally and scrape down the sides (if you can).
- minutes before serving, transfer soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Return to crockpot.
- Make your roux by melting your butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add the flour and whisk until it's incorporated. Slowly whisk in the heavy cream until the cream is smooth and thickened.
- Add Parmesan cheese and roux to the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Cook for another 20-30 minutes. Cheese should be completely melted into the soup. Stir thoroughly before serving. Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and basil if desired.
Again, Get the printable recipe HERE
Here's a visual breakdown for you:
Follow step 1 and add the ingredients to your slow cooker.
Now you simply make your roux, add the cream, let it thicken slightly, then pour into the crockpot, add the parmesan cheese and let it cook another 20-30 minutes. Top it off with extra parmesan and basil if you'd like!
Again, so delicious, you're bound to make it again and again! Hope you enjoyed that favorite recipe from my blog. You can find me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and Google +, so follow me if you'd like… I love keeping in touch with all of you!
Thanks for sharing, Amanda! This is definitely on the menu for us now. Like recipes like this? Then you'll LOVE my Slow Cooker Ebook!
Spoiler alert: come back next week to see how Amanda transforms canned crescent dough and string cheese into the most magical garlic surprise you've ever beheld. In the meantime…
Question: what kinds of recipes would you like to see more of on this blog? Leave a comment and share, and we will make it happen!
Have you checked out ShelfCooking.com yet? Our brand new site is dedicated to helping you cook delicious, nutritious and budget-friendly meals for your family without slaving away in the kitchen! Basically every parent's dream, right? Join our Shelf Cooking Community today!