Nothing else can hit the spot when you are craving the flavorful goodness of Mexican food. We've compiled some of our favorite Mexican food recipes for you to make whenever the urge strikes!
Is there ever a wrong time to enjoy a Mexican dish? We sure don't think so. From breakfast all the way to dessert after dinner, these savory dishes will hit the spot and fulfill all your Mexican food desires.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Whether you're looking for a quick meal to whip up for your family or you're planning to host a Mexican fiesta for Cinco de Mayo, we've got a recipe just for you. Some are authentic, some are not—but they are ALL delicious. Now, let's get cooking!
The most important meal of the day, or so they say, breakfast has the opportunity to start your day off with a bang! Make one of these recipes for breakfast and you'll be feeling like you're on a vacation in Mexico.
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl – This recipe is cheap, easy and it freezes in airtight containers well, too!
- Quick Freezer Burritos – For a quick Mexican breakfast on the go.
- Southwestern Omelet – Toss in bell peppers, onions, jalapeños and then top with homemade salsa and sour cream. Yum!
- Breakfast Tacos – Use any leftover meat seasoned with homemade taco seasoning for a tasty and affordable Mexican breakfast!
- Sunrise Sausage Enchiladas – A morning twist on a Mexican favorite.
- Easy Spanish Rice with Poached Eggs – Turn this Mexican side dish into breakfast!
- Mexican Egg Casserole – Like a traditional egg casserole with added tomatoes and green chiles for a Mexican kick.
These hearty Mexican breakfasts will have you ready to grab your sombrero and take on the day!
MEXICAN FOOD MAIN COURSES
There is something for everyone with these Mexican food recipes. Try one for lunch and one for dinner!
- Mexican Chicken Sandwiches – It looks impressive, but it's simple!
- Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Bowl – This copycat recipe is to die for.
- Carnitas Street Tacos – It's called Taco Tuesday for a reason!
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Quesadillas
- The BEST Chimichangas
- Baked Taquitos – Fill 'em up with cheese, taco chicken, beef or veggies… whatever your heart desires!
- Crockpot Chicken Salsa
- Easy Bean Tostadas – Super cheap and sooooo yummy. Just layer seasoned beans, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and guacamole on a crispy, flat tortilla!
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Steak Fajita Bowls – A great way to stretch your steak.
- Enchiladas – There are so many variations, don't be afraid to try them all!
- Steak Quesadillas Another great way to make that steak last. This one is also great to make with leftovers!
One of the BEST things about Mexican food recipes… they involve a LOT of super cheap pantry staples. Corn, beans, rice, tomatoes—not only do they taste amazing, many of them are so easy on the budget!
MEXICAN SOUP AND SALAD RECIPES
Sometimes you just want something a little lighter. This Mexican-inspired soup and salad list packs a flavorful punch without all the heaviness of a full entree. They make a perfect starter OR a light (but still filling) lunch!
- Easy Taco Soup
- Santa Fe Cheese Soup – Velveeta… not authentic, but so dang tasty.
- Mason Jar Taco Salad – The best way to prepare salads ahead of time!
- Authentic Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chili – What could be more south-of-the-border than a piping hot bowl of chili? Make it traditional or make it white!
- Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup
Add a side of rice to any of these dishes for a cheap and filling addition.
MEXICAN SIDE DISHES
Here is a list of the BEST Mexican side dishes to go alongside your main course.
- Homemade Salsa – This one is so easy—all you need is ingredients and a blender.
- Perfect Guacamole – Don't forget the chips!
- Cafe Rio Cilantro Lime Rice
- Grilled Street Corn – Leave it on the cob for a fuss-free side dish.
- Homemade Refried Beans
- Pico Salsa – So cheap to make and so good!
- Mole-Style Baked Beans – Chocolate, honey, and… CHILI!?
- Easy Spanish Rice
- Green Cilantro Rice – Mmm. This stuff is so mouth-watering you could eat it plain!
- Cheddar Jalapeño Poppers – Control the spice by removing all the seeds.
Anyone else currently hearing mariachi tunes in their head?
MEXICAN DESSERT RECIPES
And now to the final course! These Mexican dessert recipes are mouthwateringly tasty. Just go ahead and put your stretchy pants on, okay? 😉
- Mexican Hot Chocolate – Perfect for those nights when you just want a little something sweet.
- Cinnamon Chips – With fruit salsa and black bean dip!
- Mexican Flan – Use this incredible caramel sauce for the top.
- Tres Leches Cake – Easy and INCREDIBLE!
- Sopapilla Cheesecake – Uhhh, you're drooling a little there…
These Mexican food recipes hit all the marks for delicious south of the border cuisine. Plus, most of them are very budget-friendly… woohoo! Now, close your eyes, pretend you're in Cozumel, and let your taste buds take you away.
What is your favorite way to enjoy Mexican cuisine? Tell us in the comments below!
If you haven't already heard, we love shelf cooking here at Fun Cheap or Free. It's not only a great way to save money on your grocery bill, but it's always a great way to use up your food before it goes bad.
This brand new site is dedicated to helping you cook delicious, homemade, down-home-cooked meals for your family without spending too much time in the kitchen! Join the Shelf Cooking Community today!
Looking for other delicious posts?