Whether you like to grow pears or buy them at the farmer's market, 'tis the season! How can you use up all that juicy, delicious fruit? We'll show you what to do with pears!
Asian Pears are a favorite around here. The Page family used to grow them on trees, and those harvests? Well, holy fruit, batman! Let's just say we learned a thing or two about what to do with pears.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Being the resourceful Freebs nation you are, we asked you to share some of your best pear suggestions, and boy, did you guys deliver! Your ideas, and a few things we found on Pinterest, were just so good that we had to share all this pear-fection (sorry, couldn't resist)! Even if you don't have an Asian Pear tree, this post is still for you! Pick up a bag at your local grocery store or orchard, and you can join in on the fun too!
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH PEARS? GIVE THEM AWAY?
All of the ideas we're about to share are pure awesome sauce, but this first set of options gives us all the feels. Here are a few ways to use up your pears while doing some good for the world:
- Donate to a Local Food Bank – If you have more pears than you know what to do with, take a big bushel to your local food bank. They'll find a family who can use them!
- Gift for Neighbors – Treat your neighbor “just because” or give a few pears to the new family on the block.
- Include Them in a Teacher's Gift Basket – Apples aren't the only fruit teachers love.
- Hold a Neighborhood Produce Swap – Trade your extra pears for other fresh produce you need.
- Bring Them to Church or School to Share – Sharing is caring, right?
- Make a Fruit Stand – Let your kids sell them to make a quick buck or, even better, donate the money to a local charity.
If giving back is your jam (pun intended), then check out our ideas for summer service projects! Now, back to the pears. We've rounded up a few genius ways to make pears a part of your self-care routine.
HOW TO MAKE PEAR SELF-CARE A THING
You deserve a little self-care, mama, and those pears can make it happen! Wondering what the heck we mean? Try these ideas:
- Sugar Scrub – We can't wait to try making Hale Groves' pear sugar scrub! By the way, you should check out our lemon sugar scrub, too.
- Soap – Turn this DIY project into an afternoon of self-care, and make some extras for holiday gifts! We can almost smell Soap Deli News' pear soap already. We have tons more homemade soap recipes for you to try, too!
- Pear and Honey Facial Mask – Looking for an idea for your next girls night? You just found it! Mash up one peeled, cored, and diced pear and combine it with one tablespoon each of honey and plain yogurt. Rub it on your face, then rinse after 15 minutes.
We feel more relaxed already, but it's time to keep going. We've got TONS more ideas left to share!
A FEW SAVORY WAYS TO USE ASIAN PEARS
If you thought all of our recipes would be for desserts, you're in for a surprise! It turns out pears are the star ingredient in several decadent, savory dishes. Try one of these:
- Salad – We like to use arugula and feta cheese in ours.
- Warmed Brie Cheese Appetizer – Top some pear slices with the cheese, then drizzle with Shelf Cooking's easy balsamic glaze.
- Pizza Topping – Add some caramelized onions and feta cheese for good measure.
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich – Add some pear slices and arugula for a fancier take on a childhood classic.
- Crostinis – We found this EASY crostini recipe from Camille Styles, and we're obsessed.
- Pear Salsa – Have you tried our fruit salsa recipe from Shelf Cooking? Toss some pears into the mix!
- Slice and Eat on Toast – Avocado toast better watch its back. #JustSaying
- Asain Pear Slaw – Toss your average slaw with some shredded pear and throw in some sunflower seeds and teriyaki sauce.
- Bread Mix-In – Add some pear shreds to your next batch of zucchini or banana bread.
- Chutney – Make a chutney to top your meat. One of our Freebs shared this pear chutney recipe from All Recipes!
- Glazed Chicken Thighs – Someone shared this Asian pear marinade from All Recipes with us, and let's just say we're in love.
Raise your hand if you were today years old when you learned that Chutney was a real word. 😉
WAYS TO PRESERVE PEARS
Want to save all your pears for a rainy day? Not quite sure how you want to use them? Preserve them! Here are four ways:
- Dehydrated Pear Slices – Food dehydrator, for the win! Add one to your wishlist for occasions just like this. We think pear chips sound like a great snack idea!
- Freeze Dry Them – You can contact your County USU Extension Office to rent a freeze-dry machine. They can also provide you with test recipes for preserves.
- Can Them – Canning works for all sorts of foods, pears included.
- Pickle Them – We bet you can't say pickled pears five times fast!
If you're looking for other preservation techniques, you could always make a jam, too. And that brings us to our next point, so let's talk about all the ways you can turn pears into a tasty sauce or beverage.
MAKE A SAUCE OR BEVERAGE
Liquid pear is pretty much liquid gold. Don't believe us? You will after you try one of these:
- Juice – If you have a juicer at home, put it to good use! Mix and match with different fruits to find your new favorite flavor.
- Pear Lavender Jam – Shoutout to the awesome Freeb who shared this pear lavender jam recipe from Food in Jars!
- Pear Butter – Use your favorite apple butter recipe, but swap in pears.
- Smoothies – If you can dice it, mash it, or juice it, you can use it in a smoothie, too. Why not try it?
- Cider – Apple's not the only fruit worthy of its own cider.
- Vinaigrette – Learn how to make your own vinaigrette. It's one of the best ways to use up fruit!
- Lemonade – Strawberry lemonade gets lots of love, but have you ever tried added pears to the mix? Sounds good to us!
- Pear Sauce – Ya know. Like applesauce, but with pears.
Those all sound pretty pear-fect, huh? Oh, just you wait! We've got desserts coming your way next.
SWEET ASIAN PEAR RECIPES YOU HAVE TO TRY
Whip out your apron for this next set of pear ideas because it's dessert time! Here are some recipes worth trying:
- Poached Pears – It doesn't get much easier than this! Break out this poached pear recipe from All Recipes for your next tea party.
- Pear Pie – Turn grandma's favorite apple pie recipe into pear pie.
- Fruit Leather – We have a fruit leather recipe on our Shelf Cooking blog that you need to try!
- Pancakes – Take our easy apple ring pancake recipe and use pears instead!
- Pear Cobbler – Modify this peach cobbler recipe by using pears instead!
- Muffins – Use a box mix for a shortcut! Just add some diced or mashed pear to spice cake muffins for a nice, easy treat.
- Oatmeal – Chop it up and add to your breakfast cereal with some cinnamon.
- Caramel Dipped Pears – Who says apples get to have more fun? Try making a batch of our homemade caramel for dipping.
- Baked Pears – Several Freebs suggested this baked pears recipe from Delish.
A FEW MORE AWESOME WAYS TO USE PEARS
Oh, we're not done yet! Some might say we saved the best for last, so check out these pear ideas:
- Make Baby Food – Do you know who loves pears? Babies! Puree them or bake and mash them for an easy homemade baby food.
- Pear Stamping Craft – Slice those pears in half, dip them in paint and have some fun.
- Edible Centerpiece – Use those pears as a dining table centerpiece, then eat them when you're done!
- Pear Potato Soup – It may sound a little strange, but this pear potato soup from Reluctant Entertainer looks mighty good to us.
- Place Cards for Dinner Party – Break out the sharpies! Number or label each pear and use it as a seating chart.
Pretty clever, eh? Freebs nation really blew us away with these suggestions!
HAVE ANOTHER IDEA TO SHARE?
There you go! 45+ things to with pears (and Asian pears). This list seriously couldn't have happened without your help Freebs, so thanks! If you don't see your favorite use for pears in this list, then make sure to share!
Have you checked out ShelfCooking.com yet? Our new site is dedicated to helping you cook delicious, homemade, down-home-cooked, and budget-friendly meals for your family without spending too much time in the kitchen! Every parent's dream, right? Join our Shelf Cooking Community today!
Looking for a few more summer recipes to try?
- Here are 100+ dinner ideas that will make meal planning a breeze.
- Everyone will love this cheap and easy party punch!
- You can't eat this one, but this Kool-Aid playdough is so much fun!
Have a pear-fect day!