If you were on Instagram yesterday, then you may have seen the post I shared about all the Asian Pears I picked from my fruit trees. Our harvest this year has been amazing, but holy fruit, batman! There are literally pears for days (maybe even years) here at my house, and I don't quite know what to do with them all.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Being the resourceful gal that I am, I took to social media and asked you amazing Freebs what you would do with a million and one Asian Pears; and boy did you guys deliver! Your suggestions, and a few things I found Pinterest, were just so good that I had to share all this pearfection (sorry, I couldn't help myself) with you! Don't have an Asian Pear (or any kinds of pear) tree? This post is still for you! Pears are in season right now, so simply go to your local grocery store or orchard, buy a bag full of your favorite pears, and you can join in on the fun too! It's a great way to work pears into your shelf cooking repertoire, all year long.
Okay, let's get on with it…shall we? I now give you…
50 things to do with pears! (and Asian Pears!)
All of the ideas I'm sharing are pure awesome sauce, but this first one is my favorite. Especially because it's all about doing some good.
- Donate some to a local food bank
- Poached pears
- Preserve your pears by canning them
- Pear sauce-like applesauce, but with pears
- Pear fruit leather
- Dehydrated pear slices
- Pear salad with arugula, feta cheese , walnuts and fried pears
- Use as a pizza topping paired with caramelized onions and feta cheese
- Freeze dry them! You can contact your County USU Extension Office to rent a freeze dry machine. They can also provide you with test recipes for preserves.
- Make pear juice
- Pear butter
- Top pear slices with warmed Brie cheese then drizzle a white apricot balsamic vinegar
- Pear and honey facial mask
- Make a fruit stand and let your kids sell them to make a quick buck
- Gift to neighbors
- Pear lavender jam
- Slice and eat on toast
- Chop and put in pancakes
- Pear crisp
- Do a produce swap with a neighbor, family member, or friend
- Make baby food
- Share at a church or community function
- Add them to smoothies
- Make a marinade
- Teacher gift
- Pear hand pie
- Edible centerpiece
- Pear chutney
- Chop up and eat in oatmeal
- Add as bread mix-in
- Grilled pear and cheese sandwich
- Bleu cheese and asian pear crostinis
- Asian pear slaw
- Cinnamon pear cake
- Pickled pears
- Pear vinaigrette
- Pear sorbet
- Caramel dipped pears
- Pear cider
- Baked pears
- Pear lemonade
- Pear potato soup
- Place cards for dinner party
- Pear candle votives
- Sugar scrub
- Pear salsa
There you go! 50 things to with pears (and asian pears). This list seriously couldn't have happened without your help Freebs, so thanks! If you don't see your favorite use for pears in this list, then make sure to share! Also, don't forget to, check out this post I did a few years ago about 100 dinner ideas for busy nights if you are in need of some new recipes. I think you're going to love it!
Have you checked out ShelfCooking.com yet? Our brand new site is dedicated to helping you cook delicious, nutritious and budget-friendly meals for your family without slaving away in the kitchen! Basically every parent's dream, right? Join our Shelf Cooking Community today!