Self-care is SO important for our mental and physical health, especially during hard times. Use these tips and self-care ideas to help you make it a priority. Bonus: they're all ways to do it on the cheap AND they'll make you more productive!
We spend most of our days serving others. They may be small with sticky hands and diapers to be changed, grown hunka hunka burnin' loves, or even co-workers who are looking for assistance. Regardless, there is probably not a lot of time focused on YOU. And that is really stressful!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
There is an old saying, “You can’t pour water from an empty cup.” Let's be honest and say that we have all felt like an empty cup many times in our lives. The early mornings, little sleep, and constant needs of the family really burn you out if you're not careful. Now, this isn't to say that you don't completely love your life and what you're doing in it! But when you don’t put energy and time into yourself and are not considerate to your own needs, it can really take a toll on you. What's a mama to do?!
Lucky for you, we’re talking all about how to make a plan for your own self-care. AND we've got twenty-one ideas on how to practice self-care without spending a fortune. (Most are without spending a literal dime, whaatttt?!)
WHY SELF-CARE IS SO IMPORTANT
When you don't focus on yourself every now and then, your mental and physical health can really suffer. You start to feel worn down, possibly even depressed, and it can feel like you're drowning. Don't let that happen! You will be amazed at how much more productive you are when you're feeling good.
HOW TO WORK SELF-CARE INTO YOUR DAY
Start focusing on your self-care with these ideas and tips and work a few of them into your day. The block schedule and Productivity Planner are the perfect ways to make this happen! Stick your self-care activity into one of your blocks and make it happen when you're in that block.
If you have young kids at home, then plan ahead with your spouse, get a babysitter, wake up early before your kids, or do whatever you have to do to make it happen. Put it on the calendar and then follow through. This is so important because your self-care time is not going to happen just by hoping that the time will be there!
Pro Tip: Keep the details as consistent as possible. Something along the lines of every other Tuesday night, Mom self-care time from 7-9p. This way it’s easy to plan around and everybody knows what to expect when the time comes.
Self-care for women is often shown as buying something sparkly or taking a dreamy vacation. But for so many women, that’s just not practical and wouldn’t solve the problem, anyway! Do things that will protect your well-being and mental health and use your time wisely.
This self-care tip is one that many of us struggle with because it is so hard to just SLOW DOWN. We're too busy, there’s too much to do, we haven't checked everything off the to-do list, everybody needs something from you, the list just goes on and on!
When you feel like you're moving at too fast a pace for too long, it's always good to find ways to take a step back and focus some energy into your self-care. Now, this doesn’t have to be fancy like a full manicure and pedicure at a spa. Just find peaceful pockets of time to relax and take care of yourself.
I make sure that I have time to do a few minutes of makeup in the morning, ideally with the door shut so it can be a relatively calm experience. Sometimes that means waking up before the kids. I choose to get up 30 minutes early because it centers my morning and reminds me that I took care of myself first.
SELF-CARE IDEAS FOR SLOWING DOWN
- Start Your Morning Off Right – Wake up and spend time in scriptures and prayer or meditate in the mornings before doing anything else. Work on grounding yourself before starting your day.
- Do Something For Yourself – Spend time doing something for YOU. Do your makeup (use code JORDAN for 10% off) and hair in the mornings. Put clothes on. Even if you're not leaving the house, it's amazing how much better you'll feel when you take a little bit of time to yourself!
- Relax in the Bath – Take a bath or shower with the door shut and no one sneaking in or calling your name. Use a nice bath bomb for an extra touch!
- Daily Gratitude Challenge – Follow along with a gratitude practice, like the one shared by the Alison Show Podcast.
- Tune In – Listen to an audiobook or podcast while you're driving or cleaning the house.
- Read – Grab your favorite book that you've read 100 times or find a new one to read.
- TV – Watch your favorite show or movie.
- Go to the Spa… at Home! – Grab a cheap mask from the store or make your own and give yourself a facial! You could also give yourself a manicure or pedicure.
Don't those all sound wonderful? Just reading through those is relaxing. 🙂
One of the best ways to change your mindset is to move your body. It helps to take your mind off things, destress, keeps you healthy and so much more. If you have a gym membership, then great! But you can also easily find ways to practice that self-care at home.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Take a Walk – Stick to your neighborhood or load your kids up and go to the park!
- Workout Videos – Follow along to a workout or yoga video on YouTube, there are so many!
- Work Out at Home – It's really not as hard as you would think and you don't need a ton of expensive equipment.
- Have a Dance Party – Bonus points for having a disco ball speaker that makes it SO much more fun!
- Stretch – Find some good stretches and try them out! Yoga mats are REALLY helpful for this!
Pro Tip: Don’t worry about how far you go or what your time is per mile. This exercise is all about YOU and how YOU feel at the end of it. No worrying about calories burned!
HAVE A LITTLE “ME” TIME
If you're a mom, then it's likely you are touched and needed all. day. long. by your sweet kiddos. It makes sense, they love you and just want to be around you! Plus, who else is going to feed them or change their diapers? 😉 Combat the burnout that usually follows by striving to create space for yourself. It's one of the best self-care ideas we have!
Here are a few ideas on how to create space for yourself:
- Work on a Hobby – You can do this during your kids' down time or in the evenings after they go to bed. Hello crafting!
- Take a Drive – After your kids are in bed, take a drive and enjoy the peaceful scenery.
- Go to Dinner by Yourself – This may sound weird, but try it out! You may be amazed at how peaceful it is.
- Get Together with Friends – Friends are so important and can really help to fill your cup!
- Journal – Either in a book or on your phone.
- Color – Adult coloring books are so fun!
- Sit in the Sun – Get outside and enjoy looking at the beautiful sights!
- Date Your Sweetie – Let us not forget the one who is so important in your life! Try out some at-home date nights or get some cheap ideas for going out on the town together.
Whatever it is, make it something you love!
PRODUCTIVITY BOOT CAMP WILL HELP WITH YOUR SELF-CARE
If you need help to find the time to do the things that you WANT to do so you can practice your self-care, then check out Productivity Bootcamp! We'll help you to organize your life so you can get more done in a day in less time, giving you more time to work on your self care.
We know that you're going to love it! Use the code FCFBLOG for 10% off, just because! 😉
Alright! You have made it through! We're so proud of you for making it a priority to read this. After all, this could be considered a form of self-care! As women and moms, our needs often get shuffled to the bottom of the priority list. Sometimes seasons of life demand that to be true. However, there is power in slowing down, creating space, and/or getting moving. That power comes from a deeper well of gratitude and giving. Because, after all, “You can’t pour from an empty cup.”
We'd love to hear what your favorite forms of self-care are! Share them with us in the comments.
Here are some more great self-care ideas!
- Check out our easy 10 minute makeup routine!
- Get some great tips on how to get more sleep, plus how it makes you more productive!
- Use these cheap ways to treat yourself, stay motivated and celebrate success!
You forgot a very important one: Delegate! You don’t have to do it all by yourself. Your spouse has the same kids as you have. So now is your spouses turn to take care of the kids, or some housework. And (like you show in your video’s : your kids have 2 hands as well. Even small kids can help out. So DELEGATE! before mom gets a burnout!
Yes, this so SO. TRUE. Thanks for that reminder!