Looking for a warm, filling, and delicious breakfast idea that's also freezer-friendly? You just found it! Today I'm sharing a favorite family recipe: apple ring pancakes!
We are big breakfast people here at the Page house, and the easier the breakfast item is to make, the better. Bonus points if it's a recipe that can double up as a freezer breakfast. Recently, I came across this amazing apple ring pancake recipe on Pinterest that is super easy to make, can easily be stored in the freezer, and is absolutely delicious. Um, yes, please!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
These apple ring pancakes are seriously the perfect combination of pancake batter and apples. Plus, the main focal point of this recipe is fruit, which means you can help give your kids a healthier start to their day.
You can easily make these in the morning before your kids get up for school. However, if your mornings are anything like mine, then I would suggest making these apple ring pancakes a few days beforehand and storing them in the freezer. That way, when your kids wake up for school, all you have to do is pull your pre-made pancakes out of the freezer and nuke them in the microwave. Super easy! Now, let's get down to business!
SUPER EASY WAYS TO MODIFY THESE APPLE RING PANCAKES
This pancake recipe is so easy, you won't believe it! Plus, it has a few surprise ingredients that I think you'll love! But what happens if you're short an ingredient or two? Well, try one of these recipe modifications:
- Apple Substitute – Any apple you have will work great. Red Delicious, Granny Smith, you name it! If you have it, use it. If you don't have any apples to spare, pears will work well in this recipe!
- Baking Powder Substitute – Who hasn't run out of baking powder a time or two? Here are two options! A 1/2 cup of buttermilk + 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda = an easy swap for baking powder. You could also replace the baking powder with an extra 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice, plus an additional 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Sugar Substitute – Running on low on sugar? Need to cut some calories? One packet of Stevia will do the trick! You could also swap in honey–just use the same amount as the sugar called for in this recipe!
- Buttermilk Substitute – Not everyone keeps buttermilk in the fridge, so no worries! Add either one tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to one cup of regular milk, and you'll have “buttermilk” in no time.
And there ya go! See how easy it is to get creative in the kitchen and use what you have to make things happen? Speaking of using what you have, let's talk about what you could add to these tasty apple ring pancakes!
ADD-INS TO TRY WITH THESE PANCAKES
There are SO many fun ways to spruce up pancakes! Looking for ideas? Try adding one of these ingredients to your batter for an extra treat:
- Chocolate Chips
- Peanut Butter Chips
- Coconut Shreds
- Orange Zest
- Zucchini Shreds
- Extra Fruit
Want to add a nice garnish to the top? Here are some options:
- Butter (A must, IMO!)
- Caramel Drizzle (Pssst… learn how to make your own caramel! YUM!)
- Whipped Cream
- Apple Sauce
- Apple Butter
- Extra Cinnamon
- Brown Sugar
- Confectioner's Sugar
I could keep going, but you catch my drift, right? Take a quick peek in the pantry and fridge and see what you need to use up! For a fun weekend brunch, set up a pancake topping bar and let your kids mix and match.
LEARN HOW TO MAKE APPLE RING PANCAKES
Are you ready to try your new favorite pancakes? Grab that apron, and let's start cooking!
Apple Ring Pancakes
- 2 large apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 7½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- Core and thinly slice apples cross-wise into 10 pieces.
- In a medium bowl, toss the apple slices and lemon juice, then sprinkle the fruit with 3 teaspoons sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining sugar and cinnamon with the baking powder, baking soda, flour, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Add the flour mixture and whisk into a slightly lumpy batter.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt ½ teaspoon butter.
- Spoon batter over and apple slice, letting the excess fall back into the bowl (this coating method will keep the slices from breaking).
- Place the pancake in the pan, then repeat with two more apple slices.
- Cook the pancakes until golden brown on each side, about 5 minutes per side. Cook the remaining apple slices, adding butter to the pan as needed.
- Serve immediately or store in the freezer for another time.
So simple, so easy, and deliciously different take on your typical pancakes! The whole family will love them.
SHELF COOK YOUR BREAKFAST
Have you checked out ShelfCooking.com yet? Our brand new site is dedicated to helping you cook delicious, homemade, down-home-cooked meals for your family without spending too much time in the kitchen!
Every parent's dream, right? Join our Shelf Cooking Community today!
Do you have a breakfast recipe that your kids absolutely love? If so, please share below, because I'd love to know!
Also, before I go…have you seen some of my other recipe posts? Here are a few of my favorites:
- Get our best tips for prepping make-ahead breakfasts! Feed your family delicious meals without spending too much time in the kitchen with these awesome tips!
- Try out the world's best cinnamon roll recipe. You won't be disappointed!
- Ready for a banana bread recipe that'll change your life? This is it!