Today I'm sharing my Grandma's famous banana bread recipe. This is really the best, easiest, and most fool-proof recipe EVER. I hate baking and even I can't mess it up.
Why am I discussing banana bread today? Well, did you know that the best banana bread is made with black, brown, stinky, mushy, gross bananas that you would otherwise throw out? Talk about a #FrugalTip! Any time that I post about my banana bread on Instagram, people go crazy and want my recipe.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Well, here's the thing…It's my late Grandma's super top secret world famous* family banana bread recipe. So I'll tell you…but then I'll have to kill you**.
*um…so not technically top secret nor world famous, but it's good enough that it should be.
**you know I'd never do that to you, but you also know I'm a glutton for drama so just go with it.
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST BANANA BREAD RECIPE
Ready for some easy banana bread tips? Prepare to have your socks knocked off:
- If the tops start to brown faster than the center is cooking, lower the bread to the bottom of the oven to keep the tops from getting too brown too fast. Or you can lightly rest a little foil on top of the bread to keep the tops from getting too brown.
- I like to make mini loaves for neighbors and friends. Just set the timer for 30 minutes initially and watch them so they don’t over-cook. You can also make muffins with this delicious banana bread recipe. Set the timer for about 20 minutes and pull them out when a toothpick comes out clean.
- The recipe is easily doubled or tripled, depending on how many mushy bananas you have. You can also use frozen bananas! (Have some nasty bananas but aren’t ready to bake them yet? Just peel them, stick them in a ziplock, and toss them in the freezer for when you’re ready. Then let them thaw before making the banana bread.)
- I like to sprinkle extra sugar on the piping hot bread as soon as it comes out of the oven. Gives a nice, sweet little surprise! This is optional, of course. But always so good!
HOW TO FREEZE
Let the banana bread cool completely! Wrap the bread in foil and put in a ziploc bag. It freezes like a CHAMP. When you're ready to eat it, take it out of the freezer and thaw it on the countertop. It tastes best reheated, slathered in butter (duh).
GRANDMA'S FAMOUS BANANA BREAD RECIPE
Since I love you all so much, I thought I'd share the recipe with you! Now, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I absolutely haaaaaaaaate baking. I. hate. baking. BUT, even I can get this recipe to turn out. So it's basically fool-proof. Plus it's easy and delicious, so you'd be crazy not to try it! Hope you enjoy as much as my thighs do! 😉
Banana Bread Recipe
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 cups flour
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- Cream butter. Add sugar, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients. Add bananas. Mix well. Add nuts at the end (optional).
- Bake in 2 full-sized, well-greased bread pans. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 350°F, or until the middle is no longer gooey. Test for doneness by using a toothpick! Once it comes out clean, your bread is ready to be devoured.
See, isn't that easy? Really, you'd be crazy to toss out another stinky little banana again. I have many fond memories of eating this bread with my Grandma before she passed away. Hers always ALWAYS tasted better than mine ever has, but you can't really bottle Grandma Magic. I've tried.
Give this recipe a try and let me know how you like it in the comments!
Have you checked out ShelfCooking.com yet? Our brand new site is dedicated to helping you cook delicious, nutritious and budget-friendly meals for your family without spending all your time in the kitchen!
Basically every parent's dream, right? Join our Shelf Cooking Community today!
…While you're here, you've just got to check out my Budget Boot Camp program!
It's a super fun video program that makes your budget understandable in an easy and fun way! Use the code FCFBLOG to get 10% off!
Want even more great recipes?
- This strawberry spinach salad and homemade honey poppyseed dressing makes the perfect addition to any meal!
- You can whip this cornbread up from scratch in about 5 minutes and have it on the table in 20. Boom, baby!
- Been wanting to try your hand at homemade cinnamon rolls? Then you just HAVE to try our easy recipe out!