Today I'm sharing my Grandma's famous banana bread recipe. This is really the best, easiest, and most fool-proof recipe EVER. I hate baking and even I can't mess it up.
Why am I discussing banana bread today? Recently #TheFrugalMinute tip of the day I posted on Instagram was about how great it is to make banana bread with black, brown, stinky, mushy, gross bananas that you would otherwise throw out. Many people thanked me for the reminder to never throw anything out, including stinky fruit. But mostly, people just wanted my banana bread recipe.
Well, here's the thing…It's my late Grandma's super top secret world famous* family banana bread recipe. So I'll tell you…but then I'll have to kill you**.
*um…so not technically top secret nor world famous but it's good enough that it should be.
**you know I'd never do that to you, but you also know I'm a glutton for drama so just go with it.
Grandma's Famous Banana Bread Recipe
Since I love you all so much, I thought I'd share the recipe with you! Now, if you remember from my “random facts about me” post, I absolutely haaaaaaaaate baking. I. hate. baking. BUT – even I can get this recipe to turn out. So it's basically fool-proof. Plus it's easy and delicious, so you'd be crazy not to try it! Hope you enjoy as much as my thighs do!
(Printable version of this recipe found HERE)
Tips for the BEST Banana Bread:
- If the tops start to brown faster than the center is cooking, lower the bread to the bottom of the oven to keep the tops from getting too brown, too fast. Or you can lightly rest a little foil on top of the bread to keep the tops from getting too brown.
- I also like to make mini loaves for neighbors and friends – just set the timer for 30 minutes initially and watch them so they don’t over-cook.
- The recipe is easily doubled or tripled, depending on how many mushy bananas you have.
How to Freeze Banana Bread:
- Let the Banana Bread cool completely! Wrap the bread in foil and put in a ziploc bag and it freezes like a CHAMP.
- Tastes best reheated, slathered in butter (duh).
- If you have nasty bananas but aren’t ready to bake them yet, peel them, stick them in a ziplock, and toss them in the freezer for when you’re ready. Just let them thaw before making the banana bread.
(again, printable version found HERE)
Banana Bread Recipe
- 1/2 Cup Butter 1 Stick
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3 Cups Flour
- 3 Bananas Mashed
- 1 Cup Nuts Chopped (Optional)
- Cream butter. Add sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla. Add dry ingredients. Add bananas. Mix well. Add nuts at the end (optional).
Bake in 2 full-sized bread pans that are well-greased. Bake for 45 minutes - 1 hour at 350, or until the middle is no longer gooey. I like to sprinkle extra sugar on the piping hot bread as soon as it comes out of the oven. Gives a nice, sweet little surprise!
See? Isn't that easy? Really, you'd be crazy to toss out another stinky little banana again. I have many fond memories of eating this bread with my Grandma, before she passed away. Hers always ALWAYS tasted better than mine ever has, but you can't really bottle Grandma Magic. I've tried.
Have you checked out ShelfCooking.com yet? Our brand new site is dedicated to helping you cook delicious, nutritious and budget-friendly meals for your family without slaving away in the kitchen! Basically every parent's dream, right? Join our Shelf Cooking Community today!
Want even more great recipes? Check out the links below: