This Kool-Aid playdough recipe is seriously SO. MUCH. FUN. Why buy boring, expensive stuff from the store when you can make your own?! This playdough costs just pennies to make, but it smells like a million bucks!
Kool-Aid makes such a fun, yummy, and inexpensive drink for the kiddos, but did you know it also makes the best playdough?! Yep! This stuff is so stinking easy to make and it smells ah-mazing.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Cherry scented playdough? Grape scented? You decide! But before you can make that call, here's everything you need to know to whip up a super fun and clever batch of Kool-Aid playdough.
SUPPLIES FOR THIS FUN PLAYDOUGH RECIPE
We bet you already have most on these ingredients on hand, but before we get going, here's what you'll need to round up!
- A large mixing bowl
- A spoon
- A small pot for boiling water
- A packet of your favorite Kool-Aid mix
- Some oil (we like to use baby oil, but any cooking oil works, too!)
- A plastic bag or container for storage
Want to have even more fun with this recipe? Flex your creativity and add your own signature touch with these quick ideas for optional add-ins:
- Food coloring (the Kool-Aid makes pretty colors on its own, but it's always fun to mix and experiment)
- Cocoa powder (chocolate covered strawberry scented playdough? Heck, yes!)
- Instant pudding mix (if you don't have any Kool-Aid, you can use pudding mix for this edible playdough recipe from Simply Being Mommy)
If you're looking for even more ways to make this dough your own, we've got TONS more ideas in our softest playdough ever recipe! Spoiler alert: you can use items you already have in your kitchen to keep the kids engaged.
HOW TO MAKE FUN & EASY KOOL-AID PLAYDOUGH
Now that you've gathered all your ingredients, you're ready to have some fun! You can include the kids in this process. They'll be amazed to watch these simple ingredients turn into playdough in just a matter of minutes.
You can even play a fun guessing game! Hide the packet and let your kids vote on which color they think the playdough will be when it's finished.
Kool-Aid Playdough Recipe
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup salt
- 1 packet Kool-Aid
- 1 Tbsp baby oil (or any cooking oil)
- Bring water to a boil.
- While the water boils, thoroughly mix the flour, salt, and kool-aid packet in a large bowl.
- Add oil to boiling water and stir.
- Slowly add water to the bowl with dry ingredients. Stir.
- Continue to add water and stir until you achieve the desired consistency. If needed, you can add an additional tablespoon or two of water.
This recipe is so much fun, and it seriously smells SO good! Your kiddos may even be tempted to sneak a taste, so be sure to keep an eye on the younger kids because it is NOT edible.
It's also a clever party activity to make and send home with the kiddos! And because we predict you're going to want to make all the flavors, it only makes sense you need to know…
HOW TO STORE YOUR KOOL-AID PLAYDOUGH
The worst thing about store-bought playdough is that it dries out SO quickly. Crumbly, dry playdough is no fun! Don't let your DIY masterpiece go to waste. Store your playdough in an airtight container and pop it in the refrigerator to make it last longer!
If you're short on containers, a plastic bag will do. Just be sure to let out all the air and seal it completely.
Your homemade Kool-Aid playdough should last for a good two months. Three if you're lucky!
Pro Tip: If you're keeping your playdough in the fridge, be sure to store it on a lower shelf. We guarantee your kids will ask to take this out again and again. We're all about raising capable kids, so let the bigger ones help if you need it!
HOW TO CLEAN UP PLAYDOUGH MESSES
We all know that most fun things in life can get a little messy. Playdough is no exception! Here's a bit of good news, though. While Kool-Aid stains your tongue and lips, Kool-Aid playdough won't stain your hands!
A couple of words of caution: Kool-Aid playdough and wood surfaces don't mix. If you're going to play with your playdough at a wooden table, we suggest pulling out some newspapers or parchment paper to keep your surface clean and protected.
Playdough and carpet don't always make the best combo, either, so try to keep the kiddos contained while they're playing. That said, we know accidents happen!
If you find some Kool-Aid playdough in your carpet, don't panic! First, let the dough dry up completely. It will make a big, crumbly mess, but you can vacuum it right up without any major issues. Easy peasy!
THIS KOOL-AID PLAYDOUGH RECIPE IS SO MUCH FUN
Your kids are gonna love this most-awesome-ever Kool-Aid playdough! Bring out some cookie cutters, buttons, or pipe cleaners and let them go to town. Guaranteed fun for hours! You knead to try this!
What's your favorite scent or color of Kool-Aid playdough to make? Comment below and let us know!
Looking for other ways to keep your kids busy?
- If your kids are restless, this roundup of at-home entertainment ideas will give you life!
- Get outside and enjoy a family picnic! We've got ideas that will suit any budget.
- Give this easy and fun DIY sidewalk paint recipe a try.
Super excited to try this out with the boys, I know they will have such a good time making playdough!