It's so much easier to keep track of your food in your pantry when it's all organized so nice and neat with a pretty bow on it… But sometimes life gets in the way and it can turn into a hot mess, quick! I filmed a quick video where I show you how to organize a pantry. It's quick, easy, and you'll get some great organizational tips!
I'm talking inventorying, making zones for your pantry, and some great food hacks along the way. So come watch me tackle my mess of a pantry… See how it goes from crazy messy to crazy organized!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Be sure to subscribe for notifications on our YouTube channel, we release new videos weekly! I can promise you, you don't want to miss out on that fun! 😉
Click to watch online HERE, or keep scrolling to watch how to organize a pantry below:
Wasn't that crazy to watch?! It may be a little overwhelming at first, but once you use my tips on how to organize a pantry, you'll be able to tackle your mess, big or small, in no time! Want to see how bad my mess was before I cleaned my pantry?
Quite the wreck, right? But don't worry, you'll see the end results soon enough!
WHY YOU SHOULD ORGANIZE YOUR PANTRY
I believe that a well-stocked, well-organized pantry can help you to save money. It allows you to keep track of what you have (by keeping an inventory of your food) and what needs to be used first. That way, when you're shelf cooking (learn all about that HERE!), you know exactly which foods you need to use up first when you're shopping your pantry staples for your meals.
For those of you who are going to ask, HERE is a more in-depth tour of my pantry! I go over the complete set up of how I have my pantry organized, as well as where I got all of my baskets (that were total game-changers for this pantry!).
HOW TO ORGANIZE A PANTRY
Alright, so let's get down to the nitty gritty on how to organize a pantry! It really isn't hard, especially if you stay on top of it once it's organized. It'll definitely be worth the time and effort that you put towards organizing it! You'll want to grab a trash bag (to throw away all of the stale or expired food), a Sharpie, a pen and paper (or my printable kitchen inventory), a cleaning rag and a handheld vacuum.
CLEAN UP THE PANTRY
This may sound like a no brainer, but do it while you're going through your pantry instead of waiting until the end!
- Tidy Up – Do a general tidying up and getting like things together. This allows you to assess what all you have. You can then get a game plan together for where you want it to go.
- Throw Away Old or Stale Food – Throw away old or stale food as you come across it to make room for everything else. Feel free to do a taste-test to see if your food is still good or getting on the stale side!
- Wipe Down or Vacuum Messes – While you're tidying, clean up any messes that you see. Wipe down or vacuum anything that you come across on the shelves or in the floor.
Now, let's get on to how to organize a pantry! Use these tips and see how they can transform your messy pantry into a super organized one.
- Function Over Form – When you organize a pantry, think about its function. It's not as much about how it looks as it is about how it works! You can find some pretty pantries on Pinterest, but most of the time, they're not really that functionable.
- Organize By Zones/Frequency Of Use – Keep the items that you use the most often on the shelfs at eye level. Put less used items up high and heavier items down low. Also keep like things together so that you can easily find what you're looking for in that group of things.
- Use Large Baskets and Containers – Baskets are great because you can pull them out and grab what you need out of them. Large containers can hold a lot more food than small containers. For the most part, this means that you should be able to throw away their packages. That will really help to clean up your pantry!
- Store Extras Behind Front Containers – In this house, we've got our dream pantry (after years of having little tiny ones)! The shelves are huge, so I'm able to store extra or unopened boxes behind the front food storage containers. Utilize the open space behind any containers of food, just don't forget about it back there because it's hidden!
- Use Corner Shelves For Bulky Items – Corner shelves are usually pretty deep. They're a great spot to store those bigger, bulkier kitchen gadgets.
A FEW EXTRA PANTRY HACKS
Use these last few pantry hacks to take your pantry organization to the next level!
- Write Small Expiration Dates In Sharpie – Most expiration dates are either really small or are hard to see. Make your life easier and write them on the packages with a Sharpie so that you can easily see them. Do this every time that you go to the store and it'll be easy peasy to keep up with.
- Reuse Plastic Bags for Smaller Items – We keep our plastic bags and reuse them. (Hello, frugal living!) One way that you can reuse plastic bags is to help keep smaller items together in a basket. Oatmeal packets can get lost or hidden in a basket. Throw them in a baggie and they'll all stay together so you can easily find them.
- Cut Off Excess On Large Packages – If you buy in bulk, then you know that the struggle is real when it comes to getting down towards the end of the bag. Cut off the top of the bag and use a chip clip to close them. This also helps to make them more airtight, which keeps them from going stale as quickly.
- Use Flat Soda For Baking – Did you know that you can use stale soda for baking?! Go over to THIS post to see just how you can do that.
- Keep Extras in Basement/Other Area – Where are all my bulk-lovers at?! If you have the space, store your extras in the basement or somewhere else in your house. This will help to free up space in your pantry. Just don't forget that you stored them outside of the pantry when you run out of something!
Now, are you ready to see the end result?!
Doesn't that just make your organized heart happy?! I know that it definitely does mine!
PRODUCTIVITY BOOT CAMP
If you loved these tips and want more like them in your life, then check out my Productivity Boot Camp program! It's a fun video program that will help you to be more productive and organized in your day so that you have more time to do the things that are important in your life.
Make sure that you check this program out! You can use the code FCFBLOG for 10% off just because. 😉 You won't regret it!
Alright, well there you have it! Now you know how to organize a pantry the easy way! Let me know what your favorite pantry organization hacks are in the comments, it's always fun to share with everybody to give more ideas.
Looking for more ideas?
- Come learn how to get and stay motivated in your daily life!
- Want to know what a day in the life of a productivity expert looks like? Come watch and see!
- Needing help with your laundry? Check out how I do mine the unconventional way!