If you've known me for 30 seconds or longer, you know we LOVE to host parties and entertain at our house. Food, family, friends and fun—what's not to love? But, when the party is over… what the heck are you supposed to do with all that leftover party food!?
We've learned how to entertain and feed a crowd without breaking the bank, but a lingering challenge we face when throwing a party is what to do with all those leftover party foods? Today we are sharing several clever ways to reuse party food so you can eat them again and again, in different ways, without wasting a single morsel!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Thursday is New Video Day over on my YouTube channel, so today's tips are coming to you in video form. Be sure to subscribe to my channel, that's really where a lot of attention and focus is going lately since y'all have voted to see more videos! (Ask and ye shall receive, eh?)
Now, onto the tips!
Watch the video online, or click and watch below:
See? SO. STINKING. MANY ways to reuse food! Hopefully that gives you some confidence to get creative, and try some for yourself. Here are some links and resources to the ideas and recipes I mention in the video:
LEFTOVER PARTY FOODS TO REPURPOSE
Don't let a single thing go to waste! Use these tips and tricks to repurpose and reuse that leftover party food without having to eat the same thing over and over again.
REPURPOSE LEFTOVER PARTY SANDWICHES
Sandwiches may seem like a simple leftover, but who wants to eat sandwiches day after day, just trying to use them up before they go bad!? Not us! Here's how we get creative and use them in different ways.
- Cut and Freeze – See my freezer meat and cheese sandwiches post, and my freezer PB&J posts for more details and ideas.
- Deconstruct Them – You can make croutons or bread crumbs with the bread and meat and cheese roll-ups for lunches with the rest. You can also chop up the meat and cheese and use it in omelets, or breakfast egg muffins. YUM!
- Bread Them, and Bake Them – See how I do this by checking out my Baked Italian Sandwiches post.
There are SO many to reuse those handy little sandwich trays without wasting a single bit.
HOW TO REUSE VEGGIE TRAYS
Veggie trays are great for a party because they are affordable and they offer a variety of healthy snacks for all your guests to munch on. Well, guess what… they make GREAT leftover party foods, too! Here's what you can do with all those leftover veggies.
- Freeze in Baggies
- Send With Your Kids for Lunch – Separate into small lunch-size bag portions.
- Make Your Own Baby Food – Here's how I do it HERE.
- Make a Stir Fry
- Roast the Veggies – Make a side dish for dinner!
There are so many options when it comes to leftover veggie trays. Incorporate them into your meals for the week and save on your grocery budget.
REUSE LEFTOVER PARTY CHIPS
Party chips may be one of the easiest things to repurpose and not let go to waste. You can simply put them into your kids' lunch boxes or save them as a snack… OR you can take those giant bags of leftover party chips and repurpose them into something even better! Here's how we do it.
- Incorporate Them Into Recipes – There are SO MANY RECIPES that call for potato chips! Just google “recipes that use potato chips”, or go to Allrecipes.com and do an ingredient search.
- Make “Walking Tacos” – You can make them right in the mini bags of chips, or put some chips in the bottom of a bowl. Top with anything you would normally put on a taco and eat like a delicious…chippy…taco bowl. Just trust me on this!
Cooking with chips is SO yum. Seriously, try it!
SAVE THE LEFTOVER CAKE
Ahh, cake… the pennacle of the birthday party! As delicious as that cake is, what on earth are you supposed to do when you have half a cake left after everyone has gone?? Here are a couple of tips to get it off your counter and out of sight without wasting that yummy deliciousness.
- Freeze It – Cut into individual portions first, so you aren't committed to the whole thing when it comes time to thaw.
- Make Cake Pops – Since you already have a frosted cake, just blend it together. Add a little bit of flour to get them stiff enough to roll into balls.
These tricks will help you divvy out that leftover cake in a perfectly respectable way. Sometimes we all need a little something sweet, right?
WAYS TO REUSE SODA
So, your party is over and you have a bunch of half empty two liter sodas. Don't throw those babies away! We've got a way to reuse those, too.
- Bake a Cake – All you need is 12 oz of soda and one boxed cake mix. That's IT! Mix together, and bake as directed. If you use light soda (like Sprite), use a light cake mix like vanilla or yellow. Dark soda (like Coke), use chocolate or a dark mix. Easy peasy! (But HERE's a recipe in case you're nervous.)
This trick will elevate that cake to the next level, we promise!
LEFTOVER PARTY FRUIT
We love when there is leftover fruit after a party because there's so much you can do with it! Eat it as a snack or use one of these hacks to repurpose into something new.
- Make-Ahead Smoothie Bags
- Make Fancy Fruit Ice – Perfect for diffused water, or to be extra fancy at parties.
Alright! Next time you have a party, don't let a single crumb go to waste. Use up your leftover party food like a pro!
Those are some of our ideas, what are yours?? Be sure to share below, and good luck at your next partaaaaay!
Have you checked out ShelfCooking.com yet? Our brand new site is dedicated to helping you cook delicious, homemade, down-home-cooked meals for your family without slaving away in the kitchen!
Basically every parent's dream, right? Join our Shelf Cooking Community today!
Looking for other helpful posts?
- Learn how to throw a rockin' birthday bash without breaking the bank!
- Use these fun game night ideas for your next get-together and have a BLAST!
- Love hosting parties but don't think it's in your budget? Use these tips to entertain on a budget without sacrificing anything!
Hope you enjoyed!