Ready to turn your boring chicken night into something special? This cheesy bacon chicken recipe is a dream! Learn how to make it using ingredients you already have, plus get the recipe for our favorite homemade honey mustard sauce! #Bonus
If you're looking for the world's healthiest dinner option, you should probably keep scrolling. But if you like yummy food and want to bring back family dinners, you're in the right spot! This chicken dish is loaded with cheese and bacon, and it is so dang delicious.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
You know that chicken dish they serve at the Aussie restaurant chain? It's a lot like that! We love this recipe so much because it's easy, it's a crowd-pleaser, and it's dang easy to throw together! It's also cheap to make, especially when you shelf cook. We'll show you how to use whatever you have on hand in your kitchen to bring this tasty cheesy bacon chicken to life. Oh, and we've got a bonus honey mustard recipe for you, too! Here we go, you guys.
HOW TO MODIFY THIS CHEESY BACON CHICKEN RECIPE
If you're new to the concept of shelf cooking, prepare to fall in love! We save money on our groceries and waste a heck of a lot less food by using what we have instead of running to the store every time we try a new recipe. It's game-changing and way easier than you may think! We'll show you. Here are some ways to modify this cheesy bacon chicken recipe if you need to:
- Chicken Breast Substitute – Use frozen or fresh, either will work! Just be sure to thaw before you cook. No chicken breasts? Thighs are okay, too.
- Worcestershire Sauce Substitute – Is your pantry missing Worcestershire? Try a little soy sauce and a pinch of brown sugar. We honestly just eyeball it!
- Bacon Substitute – If you're looking to cut calories, try making this recipe with turkey bacon instead!
- Mushrooms Substitute – Don't have any mushrooms? Just don't like 'em? It's fine to leave them out of this recipe.
- Onion Substitute – No onions in sight? Before you panic, just reach for dried minced onions or take the onions out altogether and sub in garlic.
- Cheese Substitute – We used mozzarella, but any cheese will work!
- Honey Mustard Substitute – If you don't want to make our super quick honey mustard, you can use barbecue sauce instead. You could also try a batch of campfire sauce or copycat Chick-fil-A sauce!
You could totally add more veggies to this chicken dish, too. For example, try topping that chicken with red or green peppers or sliced squash and zucchini. We don't think you could wrong either way!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS DISH
Now that you've gathered all your ingredients, let's make dinner, eh? Not so fast! We need to talk about the sides first. Here some side dishes we recommend:
- Potatoes – We like to serve this chicken with potato wedges, but mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, and cheesy scalloped potatoes are all great options, too.
- Rolls with Honey Butter – If you want to go for the full restaurant experience, whip up a quick batch of these dinner rolls with some incredible honey butter.
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts – Since you've already got the bacon out, why not make these roasted balsamic bacon Brussels sprouts?
- Side Salad – You can never go wrong with a simple salad!
- Roasted Carrots – Add a bit of color to your plate! These roasted carrots are delicious!
HOW TO STORE AND USE YOUR LEFTOVERS
Let's say you happen to end up with a leftover chicken breast or two. Or maybe you decide to double this recipe so you have extras for later! Well, good for you. Just place those leftovers in an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator for up to three days. When you're ready to warm up those leftovers, you can pop them in the oven at 350°F for around 20 minutes, or you can nuke them in the microwave.
Want to turn your leftovers into something new? Here are a few ideas:
- Cheesy Chicken Sandwich – Reach for those leftover hamburger buns! You know what to do.
- Chicken Wrap – No buns? Make a wrap instead! Go to town with the toppings. Wraps are the perfect way to use up veggies before they go bad.
- Breakfast Bowl – Scramble some eggs, warm some potatoes, toss them in a bowl, and top with your leftover chicken. Boom! You just made a breakfast scramble bowl.
- Creamy Chicken & Potato Soup – Slice up your chicken, and toss it in a big pot with chicken broth, heavy cream, and some diced potatoes. Making soup from scratch is way easier than you may think.
- Mixed Grill – Have a few other leftover slices of meat hanging around? Make it all feel so much fancier by serving it up together with some roasted veggies. Hello, mixed grill!
This cheesy bacon chicken is just as yummy the next day, so if you decide to heat the leftovers just as they are and call it good, you won't be disappointed! Now, ready to get to that recipe?!
HOW TO MAKE CHEESY BACON CHICKEN
The wait is over! We're about to share one of the tastiest, heartiest ways to cook chicken. Warning: your family will ask you to make this one again and again!
Easy Cheesy Bacon Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- ⅔ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices bacon
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese
Honey Mustard Sauce
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- ¼ cup honey dijon mustard
- Poke chicken breasts with a fork a few times, then place in a Ziploc with Worcestershire sauce. Refrigerate for at least one hour (or overnight).
- While the chicken marinates, start working on your other ingredients.
- Fry four slices of bacon over medium heat until they reach desired crispiness. When finished, remove the bacon from the pan and place it on a paper towel.
- Meanwhile, slice your onion and cut up your mushrooms, then sautee over medium heat. (Use a separate pan from the bacon.)
- Sautee the chicken in the same pan you used to cook the bacon. Cover with a lid to keep your meat extra juicy!
- Cook the chicken on medium heat until no longer pink in the middle.
- When your chicken is golden delicious, start layering on a foil-lined baking sheet!
- Layer the bacon first (breaking it into smaller pieces), then add the mushrooms and onions, and finish with the cheese.
- Put it in the oven on low broil and watch it closely. Everything is cooked, so you just want to let the cheese melt, bubble, and brown slightly.
- While the chicken broils, mix your honey mustard.
- When your chicken is done, remove it from the oven, serve with your sauce, and enjoy!
How good does that look?! Just wait until you try that juicy, cheesy, bacony (it's a word; we decided) goodness.
The next time you get the craving for some cheesy restaurant chicken, grab this recipe and whip up your own batch at home! This recipe is way cheaper, and it's so stinking easy.
What's your favorite sauce for dipping chicken? Leave a comment below and let us know!
Want to try a few more of our favorite foods?
- This foolproof mini quiche recipe is a party go-to!
- You will love these mini donut holes, and they come together in just minutes.
- Give grandma's legendary (and easy) banana bread recipe a try!