This homemade roll recipe is legit SO YUMMY. Every time we make it, it's a crowd-pleaser — even for the pickiest kids! Use our recipe to learn how to make your own homemade rolls plus a great honey butter to go with it that's uh-mazing!
It’s the time of year for all the yummy scrumptious homemade food. If you have been asked to bring the rolls to your holiday feast this year, you’ve found the perfect recipe right here! This recipe is adapted from the Lion House, which is a yummy restaurant in Utah. Be sure to try it out if you are in town.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
If baking is not your strong suit, don’t be intimidated by this recipe. This one is super easy to make. You can whip them up and impress everyone at your next family meal. If you want to go the extra mile, mix up some homemade honey butter to really take your rolls to the next level.
TIPS FOR EASY HOMEMADE ROLLS
We’ve done all the testing for you, so you'll have baking success the first (and every) time! Here are a few things to remember when baking your rolls:
- Measure First – Measure out your ingredients first in cups like these, then you can just pour them all in.
- Use Jarred Yeast – Buy a jar of yeast because it's easier to measure out than the packets.
- Use a Pizza Cutter – To cut your dough super fast, use a pizza cutter.
- Portion Into Balls – If you don’t want to use a pizza cutter, you can portion out the rolls in balls and place in muffin tins or on a cookie sheet.
- Use Parchment – We recommend you use these pre-cut parchment paper sheets. They're perfect for sheet pans!
Once you make these delicious rolls and find out how super easy they are, you'll want to keep making them (just send us a few). Now for the recipe!!!
THESE HOMEMADE ROLLS ALSO USE HONEY BUTTER
You will absolutely LOVE this recipe for all your family feasts. They are truly the perfect roll. If you make the extra effort to whip up some butter, even better! The two of these together makes for a recipe that's so good, you might as well make a double batch. They're going to get snapped right up!
Homemade Rolls with Honey Butter Recipe
EASY HOMEMADE ROLLS
- 2 cups warm water
- ⅔ cup dry milk
- 2 Tbsp dry yeast
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup butter, softened – plus a little more for brushing
- 1 whole egg
- 5 cups flour
YUMMY HONEY BUTTER
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup honey
- In a stand mixer or large mixing bowl with a whisk attachment, combine the dry milk and water. Mix until milk dissolves.
- Add yeast, then sugar, salt, butter, and egg. Mix the yeast in first and then let it mix for a few seconds. As the mixer is still going, add the rest of the ingredients one by one.
- Turn off the mixer and add 2 cups of flour. Mix the flour on low until incorporated, then mix on medium speed for two minutes.
- Switch out the whisk attachment for a dough hook if using a stand mixer.
- Add 2 more cups of flour. Mix on low until incorporated, and then mix on medium for two minutes.
- Add flour ½ cup at a time. Dough may become too hard to mix so knead by hand until you get a soft, smooth, not stiff dough. It shouldn't be too sticky.
- Coat another bowl with about a Tbsp of vegetable oil and add the dough turning around in the oil so it is covered. Cover with plastic wrap or towel and let rise about 45 minutes until it doubles in size.
- Flour your counter or board and coat your dough in the flour. Flatten dough and roll out in a rectangle, about 18 inches long and 9 inches wide. It should be about 1/4 inch thick.
- Brush the dough with melted butter and cut the dough in half long ways. You will have two long strips. Cut the dough the opposite direction to have two inch strips.
- Roll each strip up and place it seam side down on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Space them about 4 rolls across.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 1 to 1½ hours.
- Bake at 375°F for 15-18 minutes until light brown.
- Brush with melted butter. YUM!!
HONEY BUTTER INSTRUCTIONS
- Add butter to a bowl and mix for about a minute using a whisk or paddle attachment until butter starts to get light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and mix for a couple seconds until incorporated.
- Add in honey and mix for about 20 minutes on low until butter is soft and airy.
- Spread on your homemade rolls and enjoy!
HOW TO STORE YOUR DINNER ROLLS AND HONEY BUTTER
You can bake up and freeze these rolls (assuming you have any extras), too! Wrap the cooled rolls tightly in aluminum foil. Then place the foil-wrapped package in a freezer bag, and label the bag with the contents and the date. They'll keep this way for up to a month.
To thaw your rolls, remove them from the freezer bag the night before you need them. Lightly loosen the foil. Let thaw at room temperature overnight. Before serving, gently reheat them (still wrapped in the foil) for 10 minutes in a 300°F oven.
To store your honey butter, keep covered, and refrigerate for up to a week.
WHAT TO DO WITH LEFTOVER HOMEMADE ROLLS
If you have leftover rolls after your feast is over, there are several ways to use them up creatively! Here are just a few to get you started.
- Mini Sandwiches – We're big fans of make-ahead freezer sandwiches. Use your leftover rolls to make a mini sandwich using turkey or ham and cheese. Freeze your sandwiches inside a freezer bag and pull them out when you're ready to use.
- Mini Pizzas – Split the rolls in half and top with pizza sauce and cheese for a simple homemade pizza for lunch.
- Homemade Croutons – Cut your rolls up into small cubes and toss with a splash of olive oil and Italian seasoning. Bake for 6-8 minutes at 400°F to make them extra toasty.
- Bread Crumbs – Need some bread crumbs for another meal such as chicken parmesan? Blend up your stale rolls to get yummy homemade bread crumbs.
- Bake a Strata – Want a yummy breakfast strata casserole? Use those leftover rolls to make one like this Grandma's Anything Goes Strata from Food Network.
You just may think that the rolls taste even better the second time around with these clever recipes! We're so excited to hear how you like them. Leave a comment below and tell us if you made some honey butter, too!
Have you checked out ShelfCooking.com yet? Our brand new site is dedicated to helping you cook delicious, nutritious, and budget-friendly meals for your family without spending too much time in the kitchen!
Basically every parent's dream, right? Join our Shelf Cooking Community today!
Need more great recipes for your next family meal?
- Master that mashed potato recipe with our sneaky tips.
- Learn four amazing ways to cook a turkey.
- Use leftover rolls and turkey with these recipes.