As you read in my first post, we had a family of 5 over for dinner on Sunday…on a whim…without having gone grocery shopping at all that week. Potentially a BAD idea, but it turned out amazing! It forced me to get creative and search my pantry, fridge, and freezer for ingredients I had on-hand, to feed 4 adults, 2 teens, 1 tween, and 4 little kids a full-blown, homemade ham dinner! It turned out amazing. I made Brown Sugar Slow Cooker Ham, roasted carrots & mashed sweet potatoes, Easy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes (below), a Chocolate Bundt Cake with caramel drizzle, and Strawberry Spinach Salad with homemade Honey Poppy Seed Dressing! Yes, you read that right. (And I don’t even like to cook!)
Click any of the other recipes above to get details on them, but for now I’m here to share the my no-fail, delicious, easy-peasy crowd-pleasing Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes recipe with you! Let’s get on with it!
Easy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes:
Wow, again, please disregard the nasty pic. I promise these are UHMAYZING and easy to make!
Get the printable recipe here:
- 1 cup white onion, chopped (1 large)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 ½ cups milk (I used half and half because we ran out of milk!)
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese
- 8 cups potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (red, white, or yellow)
- Cook onion and garlic in a saucepan until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Add milk. Cook, and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat, and mix in cheese. Stir until cheese is melted, then set aside.
- Place half the sliced potatoes in a greased, 3-quart rectangular dish. Top with half the cheese sauce, repeat layers. Bake, covered, in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes, then uncover, and bake an additional 40-50 minutes (or until potatoes are tender). Let stand, uncovered, 10 minutes before serving.
Have you checked out ShelfCooking.com yet? Our brand new site is dedicated to helping you cook delicious, nutritious and budget-friendly meals for your family without slaving away in the kitchen! Basically every parent's dream, right? Join our Shelf Cooking Community today!
Again, see any of the other recipes here:
- Brown Sugar Slow Cooker Ham
- Roasted carrots & mashed sweet potatoes,
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Chocolate Bundt Cake with Caramel drizzle