You know that container of peroxide that's sitting in your medicine cabinet? Let's put it to work! We're going to share fifteen hydrogen peroxide uses that just might blow your mind.
Who knew a $0.99 item could do SO many things?! Hydrogen peroxide isn't just for disinfecting cuts. In fact, there's not much it can't do.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Once you learn these new hacks, you'll be kicking yourself for not trying them sooner! From beauty to cleaning and everything in between, peroxide is pretty much an unsung hero. These genius hydrogen peroxide uses are going to knock your socks off!
5 CLEVER WAYS TO USE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE FOR CLEANING
We've all used hydrogen peroxide to clean a cut or two, but the real magic happens when you use this cheap product as a household cleaner! There are hundreds of ways to put peroxide to use, but here are five of our favorites:
- Clean Tile/Grout – Mix ½ cup baking soda, ¼ cup peroxide, and one teaspoon dish soap to form a paste. Apply to your grout and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes, then scrub clean.
- Stain Remover for Linens – White sheets are so clean and inviting, but they're not very forgiving. If you have a stubborn stain to remove from your white linens, hydrogen peroxide might do the trick! Just spray a little on the stain, let it sit for a few minutes, add some dish soap, and wash as usual.
- Disinfectant Spray – Hydrogen peroxide is the perfect disinfectant for hard surfaces that attract germs, like your bathroom counter, kitchen countertop, or even doorknobs. Spray it on any surfaces you need to clean (no need to dilute) and allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes before you wipe. You should notice some bubbling. That's a sign it's working! Just be cautious not to overuse this hack on granite or marble, as too much peroxide can damage the stone.
- Carpet Cleaner – Need to get a tough odor or stain out of your carpet? Mix ½ cup of hydrogen peroxide with 2 cups of water and spray on any stains. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then blot clean with a rag.
- Toilet Cleaner – Skip the pricey bowl cleaner! Pour half of a cup of peroxide in your toilet, let it sit for 30 minutes, then brush clean. It sanitizes, too!
These cleaning tricks alone can save you a ton of money, but we've got a few more hacks to share! Let's talk beauty next.
3 HYDROGEN PEROXIDE BEAUTY HACKS
- Treat Acne – If you wake up with a zit and you're out of acne cream, just reach for the peroxide! Dab a little on your trouble spots with a q-tip or cotton swab.
- Whiten Teeth – Keep those pearly whites looking pearly! Mix water and peroxide in a 1:1 ratio, and swish every day for 30 seconds. It will freshen your breath and keep your gums healthy, too.
- Brighten Nails – Starting to regret that lingering black nail polish? Noticing a yellow tint after taking off your acrylic nails? Hydrogen peroxide whitens nails just as well as teeth! Just rub a little on a cotton ball and start polishing.
Pretty handy, huh?! Now for the next set of hacks! Let's talk about ways to use hydrogen peroxide in the kitchen.
4 BRILLIANT PEROXIDE KITCHEN HACKS
Hydrogen peroxide definitely belongs in the kitchen, too! Try these tested ideas and prepare to be amazed:
- Keep Vegetables Fresh – Mist a mixture of 1/2 cup of water, plus one tablespoon of peroxide on your greens, and it will help those veggies stay fresh longer! (P.S. We have a ton more tips for keeping produce fresh on our Shelf Cooking blog.)
- Clean Your Glass Stovetop – If you have a glass top stove, then you know the struggle. Well, that $1 bottle of peroxide can save you a ton of hassle! Squirt some dish soap on your stovetop, then add a little baking soda. Finally, sprinkle two tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide. Scrub with a sponge, then allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes before wiping clean.
- Save Old Baking Sheets – We know you know what we're talking about here! Before you toss that crusty baking sheet, reach for the peroxide. This is almost like a fun science experiment! Sprinkle baking soda on your pan, then spray a generous amount of peroxide on top. Let the solution sit overnight, then wipe clean with a cloth or sponge.
- Clean Burnt Pots – If you've ever let a pot of rice cook too long (guilty!), then you know what happens to the bottom of burnt pots. It's not pretty, but it is fixable. Add a little dish soap to the pot in question, then about 1/2 inch of peroxide. Bring the pot to high heat and wait for the peroxide to boil. Remove from the stove and let the pot sit for around 15 minutes, then scrape away the burnt debris.
Be right back! We're off to boil some peroxide.
3 MORE RANDOM & HELPFUL HYDROGEN PEROXIDE USES
Feeling funky? Ouchy? Is your morning (or your shirt) the pits? Check out these three totally random but oh-so-awesome ways to use hydrogen peroxide:
- Eliminate Skunk Odors – We hope you never need this hack, but just in case, hydrogen peroxide is one of the best remedies if your pet gets skunked! Mix a quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1 teaspoon of cutting dish soap, and 1/4 cup of baking soda. Spray, allow it to sit for 5 minutes, then bathe/rinse.
- Heal Canker Sores – Have a pesky mouth sore that won't go away? Ouch! Here's a quick tip. Mix one part water with one part peroxide, then dab the solution on the sore three times per day until it goes away. The disinfecting properties will keep bacteria at bay and help the sore heal faster.
- Remove Armpit Stains – The next time your favorite white tee ends up with a grimy yellow stain, you'll know what to do. Mix one part baking soda, one part hydrogen peroxide, and one part water. Make a paste, and apply it to your stain with an old toothbrush. Gently scrub, then allow it to sit for 30 minutes to one hour. Loosen any residue, then wash as usual.
And there you have it! Kinda random? Yes. Totally awesome and useful? Also, yes.
DO YOU HAVE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE HACKS TO SHARE?
Feel free to share this post with a friend or bookmark it for later! You never know when these hydrogen peroxide uses might come in handy. As you can see, peroxide is SO much more than a first aid kit filler. Buy a bunch from the dollar store and keep it in stock!
What's your favorite hydrogen peroxide hack? If you have other tips to share, we're all ears!
Looking for a few more of our best cleaning or beauty hacks?
- This free cleaning schedule will make deep cleaning your house SO much easier!
- Check out these genius ways to use vinegar!
- Start your day off right with these quick and easy hairstyles.
Now grab a bottle of peroxide and go to town!