Today, we've got some great tips on how to save on your electric bill! Stop wasting your money and put it towards something useful. Dream house, anybody? Come see how many of these tips you're already doing!
Do you cringe every time you walk to your mailbox at the beginning of the month, just knowing that your massive electric bill is going to be waiting on you? Maybe you're considering acting like you're on vacation so that you don't have to check your mail that day… We won't judge!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Rather than throwing all of your hard-earned money out the window, make some changes! Reach that dream house quicker by applying these great tips! Come learn about how to save on your electric bill and see if there's anything that you could be doing differently. You might just read something new that you didn't know about! Let's get to it, shall we?
HOW TO SAVE ON YOUR ELECTRIC BILL
The first step on how to save on your electric bill? Your heating! It can really be a drain on your electric bill. We've compiled a very thorough list of ways to save on your heating so that it'll help to lower your electric bill. Hop on over to that post and make sure that you read all about it, you won't be sorry!
LOWER YOUR BILL WITHOUT SPENDING A THING
These are the best ways that you can lower your electric bill without spending a dime out of pocket! They're really not hard to do once you incorporate them into your routine. But you'll be amazed at how quickly these tips will help you save on your electric bill!
LOWER YOUR ELECTRIC BILL WITH THOSE BIG APPLIANCES
- Use that dishwasher to its potential – Don't run the dishwasher unless it's full. Better yet, if you have a newer dishwasher, stop rinsing your dishes before putting them in! Scrape food particles off and anything really sticky, but leave the rest and throw it in. Yes, it may sound gross, but trust us on this! It'll save loads of money in water and electricity when you stop pre-washing. Air dry the dishes instead of heat drying them. Just crack the door open once the washer is done and let them dry on their own. Using rinse aid products like Finish Jet Dry will help a TON with this!
- Wait to run the washing machine – Don't run the washing machine unless it's full! There's no need to run the washer more than you need to. If you really want to save some money, only wash your clothes in cold water. Pretty much all laundry detergents are made for cold water now, so it's super convenient. If you want more great ideas like this, then be sure to check out our unconventional laundry hacks that are sure to change the way that you do your laundry!
- Use the dryer sparingly – Line dry your clothes whenever you can! Either outside on a clothesline or inside on a drying rack. If you do need to use your dryer, be sure to clean the lint trap of the dryer every time you use it! This will keep it running efficiently. Most newer dryers have an energy saver setting, so always use that if you can!
OTHER WAYS TO SAVE FOR FREE
- Turn the electronics off – You should only have lights, fans or electronics on in the room that you're in. When the last person leaves the room, make sure that it's all off!
- Use natural light – Open those blinds and use the natural light for as long as possible before turning the lights on! This can really help to lower your electric bill.
- Take shorter showers – This will not only be good for your water bill, but will help you save on your electric bill as well! There are TONS of low flow shower heads out there that will reduce your water usage AND electricity to heat that water in HALF!
- Turn the fan on – Before turning the air conditioner down or the heater up, turn the fan on! It will make the room feel cooler (or warmer) and it's a fraction of the cost that of running the air conditioner or heater.
See? Those didn't sound so bad, right?! Think of all of that money saved that you can put towards your financial goals. If you want to save even more money, then we've got some great ideas coming up for you!
INVEST IN THESE TO SAVE ON YOUR ELECTRIC BILL
If you already do all of those and are wanting to take your savings to the next level, consider investing in some of these for your home! You don't have to do them all right this second, so don't worry about that.
Figure out what would make the most impact for your home and what is the most reasonable for your budget. Then once you do that, try out the next tip that works for you!
USE SMART TECHNOLOGY
- Cut that energy flow – Did you know that most electronics that are plugged in still pull energy even when they're turned off? You could go through the house and unplug things as you don't need them. Or you can use smart power strips and let them do that work for you! You can either turn them off on your own or set them up so that you can use your phone to turn the power on and off to the specific cords.
- Automate your life – If you watched our day in the life of a productivity expert video, then you saw how you can automate your life to make your day more productive. But not only that, it also helps to save on your electric bill! C by GE products are so helpful and can allow you to easily turn a lamp off with your phone that you accidentally left on when you went to bed.
LOWER HOW MUCH YOU SPEND ON LIGHTING
- Energy efficient light bulbs – Change out all of your light bulbs to energy star label bulbs. LED lights last FOR-EV-ER and they're so much more efficient!
- Dim those lights – Some lights can be so bright when you don't need them to be. If you find yourself being blinded by the light when you're eating dinner or hanging out in the living room, install dimmer switches. You'll still be able to have the lights on, but you can adjust the amount of light that you're using, which will help to lower your electric bill.
- Use motion sensing lights – If you have kids (or other family members, cough cough) who don't know how to turn the lights off when they leave a room, then install motion sensing lights! They'll turn on when someone enters the room and then turn off once they stop detecting motion. No more hollering at your loved ones to turn off the lights! 😉
OTHER WAYS TO HELP YOU SAVE
- Seal leaks in your house – Weather stripping can go really far when it comes to keeping your cold air in and the hot air out during the summer. Also be sure to check the outlets and caulk anything that's letting hot air in.
- Get help in your shower – If you've cut your showers short, but wish that there was a way to continue saving, then get a low flow, high efficiency shower head. It restricts the amount of water that it lets out at a time so that you're not getting more than you need.
Starting to see how easy it is to save on your electric bill? Start applying these tips to your life TODAY and be amazed at home much you will save!
What are your favorite ways to save on your electric bill? Let us know in the comments!
Looking for more ways to get your budget in check? Then you have to check out Budget Boot Camp! It's a super fun video program that teaches you about money in an easy-to-understand way.
We're so sure that you'll love it that we even offer a 100% money-back guarantee if you complete the program and don't save at least how much you spent on it. Plus, use the code FCFBLOG for 10% off at checkout, just because!
Looking for more great ideas to help you save money?
- Don't stop with your electric bill! Get some great tips for lowering your water bill, too.
- Start doing these 12 uncommon habits of frugal people and watch how much money you can save!
- Needing to save cash fast? Do a spending freeze!
- This day in the life of a large family's frugal living has some great tips that you can start applying to your life now!