Since your water bill is probably NOT one of your more pricey expenses, it is often overlooked when it comes to finding ways to save a buck! Take advantage of these money saving tips and you may be surprised what an impact they have!
Okay, Freebs… we asked and you answered—big time!! We took to Facebook to find out just what you guys do to save money on your water bill and maaan, you guys came up with some pretty ingenious ideas!! From running only a full load of laundry to using a rain barrel to water plants… these tips are SURE to save you money on your next water bill.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
We are alllll about helping each other on our journey to financial freedom, so we have compiled some of the BEST and most effective ways for you to save money on your water bill, right here, all in one place! Well… what are you waiting for!? Let's get started!
HOW TO SAVE ON YOUR WATER BILL
Don't miss a second of savings! Use these super easy and totally FREE tips to start saving money on your water bill today. Every penny counts!
- Turn off the Water When Brushing Teeth – It's been said you waste 200 gallons a month when you don't turn the water off!! Whaaat!?
- Take a Short Shower – Skip the relaxing bath. If you just gotta have it, commit to only taking 2-3 baths a week and shower on the other days!
- Save the Extra Water – While you are waiting for the sink water to warm up, fill a pitcher and stick it in the fridge for an ice-cold drink later! Genius!
- Stop Hand Washing Dishes– Using a dishwasher is actually more efficient than hand washing. While a normal dishwasher uses between four and six gallons per load (depending on how efficient it is), water flows from a faucet at a rate of about two gallons per minute. You do the math!! BONUS! Use JetDry to help speed up the drying process and save electricity.
- Skip the Flush – Okay, so this one is not for the faint at heart!! Obviously this does not apply for EVERY trip to the bathroom (you know what we're saying) but skipping a flush or two a day can really add up!
- Fully Load the Washing Machine – This one applies to clothes and dishes. Don't waste water on a small load when you could use the same amount and get twice the cleaning done! BONUS! Wash clothes with cold water using a good detergent like Tide to save money on your electricity bill!
- Reuse Your Towels – Don't toss that towel into the hamper just yet. Hang it to dry and use it twice—or even three times before you toss it into the wash!
These free and simple tips are a fantastic way to start saving money on your water bill today—but that's not all, folks!! Keep reading for some other awesome ways to save even MORE!
INVEST TO SAVE ON YOUR WATER BILL OVER TIME
Once you've implemented those FREE ways to save money on your water bill, it's time to look into even bigger ways to save for years to come! While some of these may cost more upfront, we promise they will have a major impact that will last!
- Buy Energy Star Appliances – Replace those old water guzzlers for a more efficient appliance.
- Use a Faucet Aerator – These handy little devices are relatively cheap and can cut back on water usage by a few hundred gallons a year! They work by mixing air with the water coming from your faucet so you don't feel like you are losing any water pressure but you're actually using less.
- Use Low-Flow Shower Heads – These shower heads still provide great pressure without the excessive water usage!
- Buy a Rain Barrel – Sooooo much of our water goes to watering gardens, flowers and lawns. Save big time by investing in a rain-catch system and use the FREE rainwater to do all of those jobs!
- Landscape with Drought Resistant Plants – If you love to fill your garden beds with flowers every year, look for drought resistant varieties that will require less water to thrive. Consider a succulent garden!
Although some of these come with a pretty hefty upfront cost, many of these are relatively inexpensive and easy to implement. Make a budget and determine if it is worth it to start saving for the larger, more expensive swaps. We are all about saving money, but it's important that you don't break the bank to save a few bucks!
OTHER WAYS TO SAVE ON YOUR WATER BILL
Here are a few additions tips and ways to save on your water bill each month.
- Have Your Meter Re-Read – If you get an unusually large water bill one month, have your meter re-read. You may have a leak or your meter reading may have been inaccurate!
- Inspect Your Appliances – Any leaks or drips (even small ones!) can really add up over time.
- Never Let a Drop Go to Waste – Pouring half-empty glasses of water down the sink at night? Use that to water plants and fill pet water bowls. Even those dropped ice cubes can be put to good use!
- Mow LESS – Leaving the grass at least two inches tall helps to shade the roots, allowing them to hold more moisture. Less water needed to keep it green and healthy!
While there may not be an opportunity to save HUGE on your water bill each month… every little bit counts when you have big financial goals! Even a savings of $20 a month adds up to an extra $240 in your pocket at the end of the year. Wahooo!
How do you save money on your water bill each month? Share with us in the comments below!
Looking for more ways to get your budget in check? Then you have to check out Budget Boot Camp! It's a super fun video program that teaches you about money in an easy-to-understand way.
We're so sure that you'll love it that we even offer a 100% money-back guarantee if you complete the program and don't save at least how much you spent on it. Plus, use the code FCFBLOG for 10% off at checkout, just because!
Check out these other helpful money saving posts, too!