Save some major dinero on your heating bill and put that money towards your financial dreams – like a vacation to Hawaii!! See how many of these 30 awesome money saving tips you’re already doing!
Who likes to spend an arm, a leg, and their kids' college money on their heating bill? Seriously, that's what it feels like sometimes! We all want a nice, warm house. But at the same time, heating our homes during the winter can be so. darn. expensive. You could just throw your hands up in the air and live with your heating bill… OR you could change things up a little bit! Not sure where to start??
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
We've got your back! We're sharing our genius, out-of-the-box tips to help you lower your heating bill. We want you to take that vacation sooner, rather than later, after all!
HOW TO SAVE MONEY ON YOUR HEATING BILL
Almost everybody has a few great ways to save on their heating bill. We polled our Freebs to see what all of their best tips are for saving money on their heating. As usual, they came through and gave us some great ideas in addition to our own ideas and experiences for saving money on our heating bills! Oh, and don't forget about the great tips we've already given you in our frugal living post!
FREE WAYS TO SAVE MONEY ON YOUR HEATING BILL
Yep, you read that right! These are the best frugal tips to save on your heating bill without having to spend any money out of your pocket! What whaaattt?!? They're so easy, too.
EASY TIPS YOU MAY ALREADY BE TRYING
- Lower the Thermostat – How obvious is this one? Start off by lowering your thermostat during the day AND at night. You don't want your house to be frigid, but try lowering it by a few degrees and see how that works!
- Put on Warm Clothes – If you're worried about getting cold when you lower the thermostat, then bundle up! Make sure that you're wearing socks, house shoes, warm pants, and a sweater.
- Keep Blankets Handy – When you're sitting down, cover up with a blanket! Our favorites are Minky Couture because they're so warm and cozy. (P.S. Use the promo code JORDAN45 with our Minky Couture signup link and get 45% off!) But really, it doesn't matter what blanket you're using as long as it helps keep you warm!
- Get Up and Moving to Warm Up – If you just can't seem to shake the cold, then get up and get moving! You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll warm up when you go run the vacuum or broom. 😉
- Reverse Ceiling Fans – When you're running the heat, put those ceiling fans to use! Reverse them so they're in the winter setting. This pulls the heat off the ceiling and brings it back down into the room without actually running any extra heat!
- Lower the Water Heater – It's really tempting to take a long, hot shower on a cold winter day to help warm you up when you're cold. But that hot water heater can really cost you some money! Lower it to 120°F and see how much of a difference it makes on your heating bill.
SMART HEATING TIPS
- Open Curtains and Blinds – When the sun is shining, open up those curtains and blinds and let that sunlight in! It's free heating for that room, especially those southern-facing windows.
- Dust Vents and Radiators – Dust the build-up on vents and radiators regularly to maximize the heat is coming out. The dusting glove from e-cloth is the BEST! (Use code JORDAN for 10% off.)
- Don't Use Kitchen and Bathroom Fans – Unless you're cooking something that's really stinky, don't turn on those fans. Fans pull the heat in the kitchen. The same goes for the bathroom. Just open the door when you're done showering to transfer the heat.
- Use the Oven in the Morning – Bake first thing in the morning so your oven will help to warm your house up!
- Only Heat Rooms You're Using – Most of us have parts of the house we don't use very much. Rather than heating the whole house, only heat the rooms that you're in! Space heaters or electric fireplaces work great for this.
- Use Fireplace/Wood-Burning Stove – Use these to your advantage! These now only warm the room they're in, they help heat the rest of the house.
- Close the Chimney Flue – When you're not using your fireplace, keep the chimney flue shut to keep your warm air in and keep cold air out.
- Close Vents in Unused Parts of the House – Some houses have vents everywhere… But do you really need a vent fully open in a room that hardly gets used? Close them part or all of the way to redirect the heat into another part of the house that needs it more. Just make sure you have enough vents open so the system doesn't overheat and the proper amount of heat can get out.
- Turn the Thermostat Down when you Leave – Start making it a habit to turn the thermostat down when you leave the house, especially if you're gone all day! It really won't take that long to heat up the house when you get home.
RESEARCH TO SAVE MONEY HEATING
- Set Up Equal Pay – After living in your house for a year, some electric companies will let you set up equal pay. They figure out what your average was for the year and then break it down into 12 equal payments so you can easily budget for it.
- Shop Around for Better Prices – For those who have options to use different companies, shop around! See who has the best prices and get locked in on those.
- Pre-Book Your Propane – Do you heat with propane? Pre-book before it gets cold and before demand (and price) increases. Most companies send you a notification when it's time to pre-book so you can order your propane for the winter. You'll save time and money!
INVEST IN THESE ITEMS NOW TO SAVE MONEY ON YOUR HEATING BILL
Do you already follow all of the tips listed above, but would still like to see your heating bill lower? You may have to spend a little bit of money out of pocket, but it won't take long to see the results!
We're not telling you to run out and do all of these at once. Start with which works best for your unique situation at your home and fits within your budget! Then, slowly work on the others as you have the time and money for it.
UPDATE YOUR HOME TO SAVE HEAT
- Repair Old Ducting – Once a year, check out your ducting for holes or damage. If you can use tape to repair it, use aluminum foil ducting tape because it won't break down over time as regular duct tape will.
- Seal Leaks in Your House – Leaks around doors, windows, and electrical outlets are drains on your heating bill. When it's really cold, go around your house and feel for cold air coming in. Then seal gaps with caulking or weather-stripping.
- Programmable/Smart Thermostat – Invest in a programmable or smart thermostat. Then create a schedule, and the thermostat turns the heat up and down automatically! Our favorite is Vivint. We've also heard great things about the Nest and Ecobee thermostats.
- Plastic Window Treatments on Older, Single-Pane Windows – If you live in an older house with single-pane windows, invest in plastic window treatments to help insulate your windows and keep the cold out.
- Insulation – Speaking of insulation, make sure your house has enough of it! Research to see how much insulation is recommended for the area you live in. Bonus: This could also be a tax deduction, woot woot!
- Install Air Vent Booster Fans – Have a room that's always cold because it's at the end of the line? An air vent booster fan pulls air out of the heating system and into a room that normally feels cooler.
OTHER TIPS TO STAY WARM WITHOUT KILLING YOUR HEATING BILL
- Heated Mattress Pads – Make sleeping more comfortable when you turn the heat down at night with a heated mattress pad. It really helps keep your bed nice and warm, and you don't have to worry about it falling off during the night as you would an electric blanket.
- Fleece Sheets – Did you even know that they were a thing?! Fleece sheets are even warmer than flannel sheets, so you can crank the heat down!
- Use a Warm Comforter on Your Bed – Be sure you have a warm comforter or quilt to cover up with at night when you go to sleep! Pile on the warm blankets if you still tend to get cold.
- Use Big, Thick Curtains – Insulated curtains are an easy (and pretty!) way to cut down on the draftiness of a room and keep the cold air out.
- Change Your Air Filters – This one may be obvious, but change your air filters on a regular basis! When they get dirty, the heat can't flow through them as easily, which cuts down on how much is coming out.
- Have Your HVAC Serviced Yearly – Wondering what the best way to ensure your heating (and cooling) bill is as low as it can go? Pay the small fee and have your HVAC serviced yearly. This way you know it's running to the best of its abilities… And who knows? The technician may have some added tips for you!
Alright, there you have it! Dozens of tried and true ways to save money on your heating bill. Try them out and let us know how they work for you!
What are your clever ways to save money on heating? Share them with us in the comments, so we can all save as much money as possible!
Looking for more ways to get your budget in check? Turn up the heat on debt with our Budget Boot Camp! It's a super fun video program that teaches you about money in an easy-to-understand way.
We're so sure that you'll love it that we even offer a 100% money-back guarantee if you complete the program and don't save at least how much you spent on it. Plus, use the code FCFBLOG for 10% off at checkout, just because!
Check out these great reads to save even MORE money!
- Check out these fantastic ways to save on your electric bill and water bill!
- Set your budget the easy way so you're not guessing what your monthly expenses will be!
- Need a way to save money fast? Do a spending freeze!
- Come check out the 12 uncommon habits of frugal people and start saving that monay monay!