If you've ever wondered, “how much is a haircut?” you're in the right place! We've got the 4-1-1, plus tons of tips to help you cut costs, along with how much to tip. Because spoiler alert: we don't think you should spend an arm and a leg on beauty products or services.
Okay, we know we're stepping into dangerous territory here. If you have undying loyalty to your favorite hairdresser, we get it. If you're nervous about trusting your hair to just anyone, we get that, too! But here's the thing. If you're not careful, haircuts can get pretty dang expensive!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
The truth is, too many people overpay for haircuts. And when you're learning how to embrace frugal living, cutting costs on services like haircuts can really save your budget. So, who's up for saving HUNDREDS of dollars each year? We'll show you how!
HOW MUCH DO HAIRCUTS COST?
Ready for a little fun trivia? We did some research and pulled together stats on the average going rates for haircuts! Here's what we found:
- Kids' Haircuts – The average kid's haircut will set you back about $15. It might not seem like a lot, but by the time they're 18, you'll have spent close to $1,700 per kid on haircuts. And that doesn't include tips. Gulp!
- Men's Haircuts – Wondering how much your hubs should be spending on haircuts? The going rate is around $28. In cities like San Franciso, the average is closer to $50. A bit of good news? Those totals do include a tip.
- Women's Haircuts – Now for the really tough pill to swallow. On average, women in the U.S. spend about $45 per haircut. Ouch! And that does NOT include color OR the tip.
Keep in mind, these are averages. Haircuts in New York City cost way more than they do in Ohio or Utah, so you may need to shift your expectations slightly depending on where you live.
HOW MUCH SHOULD I TIP FOR A HAIRCUT?
Now for the awkward question! You know we never shy away from the tough topics, right? So, let's talk about tipping! Here are a few general guidelines:
- For a Haircut – Tip 15-20% of the total bill before any taxes.
- Highlights/Color –15%-20% is typically acceptable for these services, too.
- Style/Blowout – A 10-15% tip is usually okay.
- Not Happy with the Service – Most stylists and salon owners agree. If you're not satisfied with your service, it's okay to skip the tip.
If you find a regular stylist you love, show them your appreciation with an extra tip during your last cut of the year, or give them a small gift. Check out these fun and easy homemade gift ideas for inspiration!
6 WAYS TO SAVE MONEY ON HAIRCUTS
Okay, now that you know how much to tip and how much you can expect to spend, let's talk about our favorite topic: How to save money! With these tips and tricks, you'll be sure to get the best possible prices on haircuts in the future!
- Head to Your Local Beauty School – Cosmetology schools and training centers offer deep discounts to customers who are willing to give students practice. And because students are being graded for their work, they do a pretty dang good job! Just a heads up: You could spend hours for a full head of hair color plus a cut, but if you don't mind, you'll save a fortune in dollar bills (and you're helping a student achieve their dreams).
- Scale Back the Frequency – Most stylists suggest a cut every six weeks, but if you can stretch it to every eight or ten weeks, you'll end up paying for two fewer haircuts each year. It adds up!
- Splurge Once or Twice Per Year – If your hair is a bit unruly, consider heading to a high-end salon a couple of times each year and getting trims at budget salons in-between visits. You'll save a ton! It's the perfect compromise.
- Become a Hair Model – Many salons offer free cuts and styles for customers willing to serve as models for training courses. Others offer discounts in exchange for agreeing to pose for Instagram photos. If you're not camera-shy, go for it!
- Take Advantage of First-Time Customer Deals – A LOT of salons offer discounts to first-time customers. For example, at Ulta salons, you can save 25% on your first cut. Call ahead and ask if your local salon offers a similar incentive!
- Opt for a Dry Cut – Wash your hair BEFORE you head to your salon and you can save a ton by opting for a dry cut instead of paying for the style and blowdry.
Remember, a cheap haircut does NOT necessarily mean a bad haircut! The stylist matters more than the price tag from our experience, so just be sure to read reviews before you book.
HOW MUCH IS A HAIRCUT WHERE YOU LIVE?
One last tip before we go, and then we have a question for you!
Fun fact: Tuesdays and Wednesdays are the best days to get a haircut. Why? Salons usually have more openings on those days, so it's easier to score a last-minute appointment, and your stylist probably won't be as rushed. #TheMoreYouKnow
Now, we're curious! How much is a haircut where you live? And how do you save money on cuts? Leave us a comment below!
Looking for more ways to save money?
- These tips will help you save money on your heating bill.
- Learn how to save a ton of money shopping online!
- Find out how to get amazing American Girl accessories for less.
Go get your glam on!