‘Tis the season to start shopping….fa la la la la. Before you make your holiday shopping list (and check it twice), take a peek at these homemade Christmas gift ideas! These heartfelt, thoughtful, DIY presents are sure to make your season bright.
We LOVE this time of year! The lights. The music. Spending extra time with family and enjoying all the holiday season's food and fun is just magical. But let's keep it real. The holidays can also be super stressful and crazy expensive if you're not careful.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
We're here to tell ya that you can have a very Merry Christmas without spending an arm and a leg. These homemade Christmas gifts are affordable, and we guarantee they'll mean so much more than a store-bought gift. We've rounded up ideas for every person on your list. Are you ready?!
TIPS FOR STICKING TO A CHRISTMAS SHOPPING BUDGET
Homemade gifts can make Christmas so much fun, but if you're wondering how to budget for those store-bought presents, you're not alone. We get questions ALL the time about how much to spend at Christmas. While we encourage you to stick to your budget and not go overboard, we also know how magical it is to give great gifts. So, here are a few quick tips for making the most of your Christmas budget:
- Give Memories and Experiences – They're much more valuable than possessions! Instead of buying tons of new games, give your kids the gift of a weekly family game night. Instead of a new swing set, give them the gift of one on one trips to the park.
- Balance Wants & Needs – We suggest giving a mix of gifts that are practical and fun. For example, pajamas and socks can serve double-duty!
- Food and Travel – When you're budgeting for Christmas festivities, don't forget to plan for food and travel expenses, too.
- Make Your List (and Check it Twice) – Take stock of everyone you need to buy for and set a budget for each person.
- Draw Names – Rather than buying tons and tons of gifts for everyone you know and love, why not organize a fun gift exchange with your extended family or friends?! Secret Santa or white elephant are both great options.
Of course, one of the BEST ways to save money during the holidays is to make your own presents! That's why we've put together the ultimate list of homemade Christmas gift ideas. We hope these help bring some joy to your season!
7 HOMEMADE CHRISTMAS GIFT IDEAS FOR MOM
Where would we be without our moms?! They deserve All. The. Things. But, it's often hard to think of creative gifts to give the gal who has everything. Try out one of these DIY ideas:
- At-Home Spa Kit – The sky is the limit here! Make your own bubble bath or bath bombs, toss in some homemade soap, and make a relaxing music playlist.
- DIY Room Diffuser – Room diffusers make any home feel cozy! Did you know you can make your own? We bet mom will be super impressed if you do. The Spruce has the deets you need to make your own diffuser.
- Scrapbook – Here's a great gift idea for the sentimental mom! Put together a scrapbook of your favorite memories. Pick a theme—like holidays or vacation.
- Calendar – Gather up twelve of your favorite family photos and put together a custom calendar that will give mom all the feels. Don't forget to include the furry family members, too!
- Mason Jar Candle – Who doesn't love the warm glow of a candle?! All. The. Feels. Impress mom with a homemade candle. Hello Glow has a genius slow cooker candle recipe!
- Decorative Wooden Spoons – We are obsessed with this one! If mom loves to cook, she'll love these adorable wooden etched spoons. Take a peek at the tutorial from Design Mom. Throw them in a cute oven mitt as a fun way to wrap them!
- Vanilla Extract – Here's the perfect idea for moms who love to bake. Vanilla extract can be quite pricey, but you can make your own in the Instant Pot! Simply Happy Foodie has a fantastic vanilla recipe. Toss in some recipes, too!
Pro Tip: If mom doesn't have an Instant Pot, save up and buy her one on Black Friday! The look on her face when she opens that gift on Christmas morning will be totally worth it.
DIY CHRISTMAS GIFT IDEAS FOR DAD
Why is it so dang hard to shop for dads?! You can only buy so many ties or golf balls. If you're running out of ideas, try one of these homemade gifts:
- Personalized Grilling Tools – If dad's a grill master, he'll love getting his own custom spatula! Get the paints out and let the kids go to town. Tidy Mom shares how to personalize grill tools. It's fun and easy!
- DIY Snack Basket – Make your favorite trail mixes, caramel apples, cookies, and other goodies! Throw them all together in a basket that dad is sure to love.
- Coasters – Capture your kiddos' handprints in coasters! Dad's sure to think they're adorable, and we bet they'll become treasured family keepsakes. Dwelling in Happiness has a guide to making coasters.
- Toiletry Bag – Does dad love to travel? He'll appreciate this customized toiletry bag to stay organized on the go. Polka Dot Chair has a DIY toiletry bag tutorial.
- Flannel Blanket – Help dad keep warm while he's watching the big game. This DIY flannel blanket from It's Always Autumn is just begging for a comfy chair by the fireplace!
Pro Tip: We've got tons of other gift ideas for dad! Don't limit yourself to Christmas. Dad will love unwrapping homemade gifts at Father's Day and on his birthday, too.
HOMEMADE CHRISTMAS GIFTS FOR KIDS
You'll have just as much fun making these gifts as your kids will have using them! Here's a roundup of our favorite homemade Christmas gift ideas for kids of all ages:
GIFTS FOR YOUNGER KIDS
- Slime – Have you ever met a kid who doesn't love slime?! Don't buy it. It's so much more fun to make it. Check out our favorite easy slime recipe. Add in fun Christmas glitter to make it extra festive!
- Toy Box – Your kiddos will need someplace to store all their new toys. Why not make their own personalized toy box?! Here's an adorable idea from Addicted 2 DIY.
- Cardboard Box Castle – If your kids are anything like ours, they probably love a good box just as much as a new toy. We bet they'll LOVE this adorable DIY castle from wikiHow. And you'll have a blast making it.
- Stamps – Crafty kids will love having their own stamp set. Here are three ideas on the Making Lemonade blog.
- Milk Carton Train – Start saving up your milk cartons and toilet paper tubes! If you've got Thomas the Train fans at home, this DIY train will make their day. Education.com has an activity guide to show you how to build this upcycled train.
GIFTS FOR TEENS
- Recipe Box or Book – This is the perfect gift for older kiddos, and one they will cherish for years to come. Gather together your favorite family recipes, write them down, bind them together in a book, or put them in a recipe box.
- Record Clock – Music lover in the family? Here ya go! This homemade clock is TOO dang cool. Instructables living has a how-to guide for making a vinyl record clock.
- DIY Jewelry Organizer – If you've got a teenage daughter, you're likely finding earrings, bracelets, and necklaces all over the house. Here's a gift you'll both love! Make this jewelry organizer from WhatsUpMoms.
- Sports Team Fleece Blanket – Round up some fleece and scissors and get ready to make a no-sew blanket your kids will love using at home and on the go. Watch the fleece blanket video tutorial from Cutesy Crafts.
- Movie Night Kit – Gather up a few bargain DVDs, some popcorn, and candy in a basket, and boom! You've got a super fun gift your teen will enjoy.
Encourage your kids to make gifts for their friends and family, too! It's a great way to raise capable kids and keep them entertained over Christmas break. Win, win!
DIY CHRISTMAS GIFT IDEAS FOR YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
Sometimes the best thing you can give your husband, wife, boyfriend, or girlfriend is the gift of your time! With that in mind, we've gathered a few Christmas gift ideas you won't find at the store:
- “52 Reasons Why I Love You” – We're swooning over this creative and romantic gesture! Grab a deck of cards and start brainstorming! Here's a step by step tutorial from Nifty Mom.
- DIY Coupon Book – Be creative and think of ways you can show your partner you love them or help them out with household chores they may not love.
- Framed First Dance Lyrics – Type out or handwrite the lyrics to your song and attach them to a canvas or frame and mat them. So unique, nostalgic, and romantic!
- 12 Months of Date Ideas – You guys know we're big proponents of regular date nights! Come up with twelve creative ideas, toss them in a mason jar, and then pick a surprise date night out of the jar each month. So fun!
- A Custom Spotify Playlist – Channel your inner DJ! This gift is 100% free but oh-so-thoughtful. You're welcome!
Pro Tip: If your sweetie's not a Spotify Premium member, you can buy a $60 Spotify gift card at Sam's Club for only $58.98! Use that extra buck for stocking stuffers.
5 HOMEMADE CHRISTMAS GIFT IDEAS FOR THE GRANDPARENTS
Most grandparents already have everything they could want or need. Visiting with them for the holidays is probably their number one wish, but we know they'll appreciate these thoughtful, sentimental homemade gifts:
- Hand Warmers – How cute and how fun! Keep grandma or grandpa cozy with these DIY hand warmers.
- Photo Mug – Make a collage of your favorite photos and send them over to your local drugstore so they can print them on a mug for you. This gift only costs about $10, and it will bring a smile to the grandparents' faces every time they take a sip.
- Personalized Puzzle – Turn your family pics into a jigsaw your puzzle! You can order from Snapfish, or go totally DIY. Karen Kavett DIY has a jigsaw puzzle tutorial.
- Apron – Grab a plain canvas apron from your local craft store, and have the kids dip their hands in paint and add their handprints to the apron. This one will be a family fave!
- Placemats – Give each of your kiddos a small poster board to decorate. Laminate them, and boom! You've got placemats that the grandparents will cherish!
Looking for other great gifts for the grandparents? This “10 Things I Love About You” list will make them feel so special! Have each of your kids make one.
5 CHRISTMAS GIFT IDEAS FOR FRIENDS
You know that saying “it's the thought that counts”? We wholeheartedly agree! Don't spend a fortune on presents for your friends, but show them how much you care with these fantastic homemade gifts:
- Banana Bread – This banana bread recipe is THE BEST. Your friends will love you for this.
- Mason Jar Cookie Mix – Treat your kids' teachers or friends to a sweet treat. How fun are these mason jar cookie mixes from Celebrating Sweets?!
- Homemade Salsa – Are you sensing a theme here? When in doubt, gift food. Here's an easy salsa recipe we love.
- Homemade Caramel – We bet your friends are gonna be SUPER impressed if you make these ah-mazing homemade caramels.
- Hot Cocoa Gift Basket – Fill a mug with some homemade cocoa mix, toss in some marshmallows, a candy cane, and wrap with cellophane and ribbon. Take it up a notch by dipping plastic spoons in melted chocolate and adding those to the package!
Pro Tip: It's always a good idea to have a few budget-friendly “emergency” Christmas gifts on hand. Don't get caught by surprise if your neighbors bring you a holiday gift this year. Be prepared!
And there you have it! Just a few of our favorite holiday gift ideas and tips. We'd love to know what you think. What's the best homemade holiday gift you've ever received?!
Looking to tackle more DIY projects?
- This easy sidewalk paint is so much fun!
- These homemade baby wipes will save you some serious cash. Weekend project, anyone?!
- This homemade playdough lasts forever! Add some to those Christmas stockings.