Do you have daughters who are obsessed with American Girl dolls? Yeah, us too! Those adorable dolls can get pretty dang expensive pretty darn quickly, but we’ve got good news, Freebs! We’re about to share some hacks that will save you LOADS of cash on those American Girl accessories. Let’s go shopping!
You’ve just gone to visit Santa and discovered that your girls have American Girl dolls and accessories at the top of their list this year. Gulp. How are you going to swing that?!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
With a little creativity and planning, you can grant your kids’ wishes without going over budget. We’re about to share some tips and tricks that you can use to outfit your dolls for just a few bucks. Take notes and get ready to save!
SHOP AMERICAN GIRL SALES
Ok, here’s the first thing you need to know about scoring some deep discounts on all things American Girl. We’re talking dolls, bitty babies, clothes, furniture, the whole nine yards. You don’t have to pay full price for new merchandise. Here are a few sales to check out:
- Black Friday – While you know we're not huge fans of Black Friday, this is hands down the BEST time to stock up on brand new American Girl gear. The deals vary from year to year, but Black Friday is when they’re known to be the best prices of the year.
- Monthly Online Specials – Each month, American girl marks down select items by as much as 30%. The deals change monthly, so check back regularly!
- Online Final Sale Section American Girl Online – If you’re willing to forgo the expected returns and exchange policy, you can score brand new items for as much as 70% off. Hop on over to the Final Sale section of the American Girl site to see what you find!
- American Girl Newsletter Deals – About once per quarter, American Girl will mark down their merchandise for a seasonal sale. The items tend to go quickly, so act fast! To be the first to know about all the big deals, sign up for their newsletter!
Those are some of the best ways to save on brand new name brand American Girl items… But if you’re open to buying used, you can find even better deals!
BUY USED AMERICAN GIRL ACCESSORIES
You never know what you may find at a garage sale, local consignment shop, or thrift store. Don’t be afraid to call ahead to your local discount shops and see what they have in stock. Follow them on social media, too! Many consignment stores post their new merchandise on social media, and if you call ahead to reserve and pay for the time, they may even set it aside for you before it hits the shelf.
If you’re looking for other places to do your bargain hunting for American Girl accessories, try these online shops:
- eBay – Good ole eBay. Pretty much the OG source of online deals! If you’re willing to spend a little time searching and bidding, you can luck out on some pretty great American Girl Deals.
- Facebook Marketplace – You might be surprised by what you can find up for grabs on Facebook! In particular, during the holiday season, many of your neighbors may be selling toys their kids no longer use to help fund their shopping budget.
- Mercari – We’ve seen some pretty incredible prices on American Girl items in the Mercari app. And many of the accessories have never even been opened! Search their site for American Girl hauls.
Pro Tip: If you’re new to online thrifting, make sure you’re safe and smart! We’ve put together a whole post devoted to helping you shop Facebook Marketplace, eBay, and more like an expert!
GROW YOUR COLLECTION OF AMERICAN GIRL ACCESSORIES WITH GENERIC GEAR
We don’t think being frugal means skimping on quality! For example, you may want to invest a bit more in your car, shoes, or kitchen items. American Girl clothes or furniture? Not so much! Your kiddos will have just as much fun with the generic stuff :
- Amazon – Is there anything you can’t buy on Amazon at this point? Not only can you occasionally find some used American Girl items here, but you can also find tons of generic brand items for your kiddos’ dolls. How super is this toy bed?!
- Dollar Tree – This may sound crazy, but you CAN find American Girl accessories at the Dollar Tree. While stock varies from store to store, you can typically find things like toy tea sets, stick-on earrings, and hair accessories at most stores. You can even buy adorable doll-sized pets from their online store!
- Etsy – How cute are these handmade doll outfits?! Not only are they cheaper than the name brand, but you’re supporting small business owners when you buy them. We love it! Check out the doll furniture on Etsy, too.
- Target – Who’s down for a Target run?! Head to the toy department where you’ll find their own line of doll clothing and furniture. As you can imagine, it’s quite a bit cheaper than the real thing, but it’s just as much fun!
- Walmart – Here’s another big-box retailer that sells its own brand of doll items. Some of their stuff is just too dang CUTE! Your kiddos will love it. And your bank account will thank you.
Pro Tip: Some of our Freebs suggest checking out Costco for American Girl deals, too! While it’s not exactly cheap, it is less than you’ll pay at the American Girl store! They also have bitty babies for just under $85.
MAKE YOUR OWN ACCESSORIES
Alright, who’s ready to get crafty? You know we love a fun DIY project around here, so let’s chat about how you can save SO MUCH money by making your own American Girl doll clothing and accessories.
- Clothing – The Simply Crafted Life has a tutorial that shows you how to make American Girl Doll Clothes! It even includes patterns. The best part about making your own outfits is that you can totally personalize them.
- Furniture – Look at this amazing cardboard box dollhouse from Crafts by Courtney. Just get a bigger box to fit the American Girl Dolls! Here’s another fun example! Have extra shoeboxes? Turn them into beds! Here’s a YouTube tutorial from berri kitty.
- Hair Accessories – American Girl Fan has a post that walks you through the super simple process of making hairbows for dolls. These no-sew hairbows are absolutely darling!
- Jewelry – Check out this button bracelet from American Girl Fan. TOO stinking cute, you guys. You can make a bigger one for your kiddo, too.
- Shoes – We can’t get over these clogs! The best part? They’re no-sew. Get the pattern and instructions for these American Girl Doll shoes from Pixie Faire.
If you’re looking for more tutorials, do a quick search on YouTube! You’ll find tons of step by step guides and projects to try. So fun!
Well, there you have it. Proof that you CAN be frugal and still get your kid’s American Girl goodies! Where have you found the best deals? Comment below and let us know!
Looking for more bargains and DIY projects?
- We've compiled the ultimate list of student discounts and deals. Spread the word!
- This easy and fun sidewalk paint is a hit with the kids.
- You'll have a blast making these cozy, DIY hand warmers!
Have fun, Freebs!