Back-to-school is upon us, and so are the savings! Grab your student ID and get ready to save some serious cash. We’ve put together the ultimate list of student discounts, and trust us; you’re going to want to bookmark this one!
Let’s face it… going to school can be downright expensive. Textbooks, tuition, and school supplies put a big dent in your budget. Luckily, being a student also comes with perks—particularly in the form of HUGE deals and discounts.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
You may be wondering, “what are the secrets to scoring these elusive deals?” Our first bit of advice is, don’t be afraid to ask! There are so many businesses out there that don’t publicize their student discounts but are happy to provide them.
Our second piece of advice? Save this post! For real. Stop what you’re doing and hit that bookmark button. We’ve done all the hard work and research, so you don’t have to. Whether you’re looking for ways to save on food, entertainment, clothing, or books, we’ve got you covered.
WHO’S ELIGIBLE FOR STUDENT DISCOUNTS?
As a student, you can take advantage of MANY amazing perks. Hey, you work hard and deserve it.
Amazing on-campus freebies like counseling and career guidance, free access to computers, labs, equipment, competitions, and contests are fairly common.
But when it comes to student discounts, there are even MORE perks off campus! So, whether you're a high school student, college student, or grad student, there are amazing benefits to being, well, a student!
Better yet? In most cases, all you need to qualify for these deals is a student ID.
HOW TO FIND THE BEST DISCOUNTS
Want to save money on insurance, date night, or a gym membership? There’s probably a deal for you! Not sure if a specific business offers deals to students? The next time you’re about to make a purchase, ask!
Here are just a few examples of the kinds of deals to ask about:
- Software & computers
- Cell phone plans
- Gym memberships and fitness classes
- Concerts, shows, and events
- Theaters, movie theaters, and museums
- Sporting events
- Auto care
- Ski passes
- Some warehouse stores
- Retail stores
- Amusement parks
Pro Tip: Many businesses partner with UNiDays to verify eligibility for these discounts, so sign up for a free account to take advantage of many of these deals!
STUDENT DISCOUNTS ON DIGITAL SUBSCRIPTIONS
Big on music? Reading? Binge-watching? Don’t pay full price! Here’s a roundup of some of the best digital subscription discounts available for students.
- Adobe Creative Cloud – Students can save 60% on the cloud version of Adobe’s creative suite. Here’s a great way to start a side gig as a designer and save some extra dough!
- Amazon Music Unlimited – Exclusively for students, this subscription gives you access to 60 million songs for just 99 cents each month. Yup, you read that right.
- Apple TV Plus – FREE with an Apple Music subscription! Peep the deets on the Apple Music student subscription. At $4.99 per month for both, this one is a steal.
- Audible – Want to knock out those reading assignments on the go? Don’t pass up this Audible student price of $9.95 per month. They’re even throwing in a $10 Amazon gift card right now.
- Microsoft Office – Have a school email address? Find out how you can get Microsoft Office software for free.
- New York Times – Stay up on current events! Students can subscribe to the NYT digital edition for $1 per week.
- Spotify – Calling all music lovers and movie buffs! When you sign up for the $4.99 per month student version of Spotify premium, you get Hulu and Showtime for free!
- The Wall Street Journal – Subscribe to the digital edition for just $4 per month or spring for both print and digital for $10.
- Amazon Prime – This deal is incredible! Right now, Amazon is offering a 6-month free trial for students. After the trial period, monthly membership is only $6.49.
Already an Amazon Prime member? Make sure you're getting the most out of your membership! There are so many perks beyond free shipping, music, and movies.
ENTERTAINMENT & ACTIVITY STUDENT DISCOUNTS
Think you can’t afford your next date night? Think again! These deals are too good to pass up!
- AMC Theaters – Get your movie tickets for $1 off on Thursdays. Date night, anyone?
- The Art Institute of Chicago – Students outside the city receive $6 off general admission. Chicago residents save $11.
- Broadway in Chicago – Theater fan? Bring nine friends and snag tickets for as low as $14.50 for select performances.
- Carnegie Hall, New York – Catch a symphony performance for cheap. Select performances are only $10 for students.
- Cinemark – Deals and discount days vary by city. Bring your student ID!
- Denver Art Museum – Student admission is $10 for out-of-state students and $8 for Colorado residents.
- Houston Ballet – If you’re under age 25, snag a ticket for just $15 or score a 2 for $25 deal on Friday evenings.
- The Lincoln Center, New York – Take a break from the books and head to the opera! The Lincoln Center offers $20 student tickets to many performances.
- Memphis Symphony Orchestra – Get one $10 ticket per performance with your student ID.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art – General admission tickets run $25, but students can visit the museum for just $12!
- New England Aquarium – Spend a day with the penguins for $2 off! Call ahead or reserve your aquarium tickets online.
- Philadelphia Museum of Art – Cold, rainy (or snowy) Saturday? Spend the day at the museum for only $14!
- Regal Theaters – Check with your local theater for details. Regal offers up to 15% off tickets for select shows and dates.
- Universal Studios Hollywood – They partner with some schools to offer discounted student tickets. See if your college or university is on the list.
Pro Tip: Many local museums, theaters, and entertainment venues near your campus probably offer discounts, too. Call or check their websites for more info!
Whether you’re looking to bulk up at the gym or buy in bulk on your grocery runs, these deals will make your bank account happy!
- CorePower Yoga – Pricing varies by location, so check with your local yoga studio.
- Costco – Get a $20 Costco gift card when you sign up for a new Gold Star Membership account. (You have to join UNiDAYS for this one.)
- Gold’s Gym – Select locations offer a 50% student discount.
- Sam’s Club – As a student, you can take advantage of a $45 yearly membership fee, plus receive a free gift card and pizza.
Before you make your shopping list, stop what you're doing. Buying in bulk isn't always the way to go. We've got a post that will help you decide what to buy from Costco.
SAVE ON BANKING & FINANCIAL PLANNING
It's never too soon to invest in your financial future! These discounts and resources will help you stash some cash for a rainy day.
- Bank of America – Need a checking account? Students can open up an account at Bank of America with no monthly fees until age 24.
- Wells Fargo – Wells Fargo offers student plans geared toward teens and college students. Options vary based on the account type, but in many cases, monthly fees and overdraft penalties are waived. Check with a local brand for details!
- You Need a Budget (YNAB) – Learn how to pay off all that student debt in record time! Take advantage of the YNAB College Program, which now covers a free full year of membership.
If you need a little extra help with budgeting, be sure to check out Budget Boot Camp! It's a fun online video program that helps to make understanding your finances easy… Just watch to see!
Doesn't that sound so great?! Use the code FCFBLOG to save 10% at checkout.
STUDENT-EXCLUSIVE SAVINGS ON ELECTRONICS
You'll need the right gear to complete all your coursework, but you don't have to let pricey laptops and tablets bust your budget. Find out how to score some serious deals on electronics.
- Apple – Save 20% on an AppleCare plan and get free AirPods when you buy a Mac or iPad to use at school.
- Best Buy – Sign up for an account at BestBuy.com to receive exclusive deals via email.
- Dell – Enjoy $100 off select PCs, plus save 10%.
- Lenovo – Enjoy 8% off online purchases from Lenovo.com.
- Samsung – Save an additional 10% on smartphones, laptops, and tablets.
Pro Tip: If your state offers a tax-free shopping weekend, buy your electronics then! You can save literally hundreds of dollars more.
FRANCHISE RESTAURANTS OFFERING STUDENT DISCOUNTS
Being on a budget doesn’t have to mean skipping pizza night or Taco Tuesday. Check out these amazing deals from nationwide chains!
- Arby’s – Save 10% when you show your student ID at participating locations.
- Buffalo Wild Wings – Enjoy a 10% discount with your student ID at many locations.
- Burger King – Many locations offer 10% to students.
- Chick-fil-A – Enjoy 10% off at select locations, and get a free small drink with purchase!
- Chipotle – Score a free drink with purchase. Don’t forget your student ID!
- Dairy Queen – Save 10% at many locations.
- IHOP – Discount varies based upon location. Many franchises offer up to 50% during certain days and times!
- McDonald's – Save 10% with your student ID.
- QDOBA – Enjoy a burrito meal for $5 or a free drink with a meal purchase.
- Waffle House – Take 10% off your meal at select locations.
Don’t forget to check with local businesses, too. Before you hop in the car and drive to grab food, call ahead just to make sure your local restaurant is participating, since locations may vary.
THE BEST RETAIL DISCOUNTS FOR STUDENTS
One of the best parts about the back-to-school season is updating your wardrobe! Keep these discounts in mind as you’re shopping:
- American Eagle – Enjoy 20% off online purchases with a UNiDAYS account.
- Banana Republic – Take 15% off a full-priced purchase with your student ID.
- Footlocker – Need new shoes? Head to Footlocker and save 10% with a UNiDays account.
- J. Crew – Head to class in style and enjoy 15% off regular-priced items.
- Juicy Couture -Register with Student Beans to unlock a 15% online discount.
- Kate Spade – Register with UNiDays for a 15% discount.
- MAC – Take 10% off with UNiDays verification.
- Madewell – Enjoy 15% of in-store or online. This deal is good for teachers, too!
- Nike – With all that walking you’ll be doing around campus, you’ll need comfy shoes. Head to Nike to take advantage of their 20% student discount.
- Ralph Lauren – Head to their website and create an online account to save 15%.
- Sally Beauty Supply – Join their Beauty Club for exclusive savings.
- Sperry – Enjoy 15%! Sperry also offers savings for teachers, nurses, and the military.
- Target – Create a gift registry for your dorm or apartment needs, and unlock a 15% discount for any items left on your registry.
- Under Armour – Enjoy a 10% discount with a UNiDays account.
- Urban Outfitters – Take 10% off your full-price purchase (on select dates only).
- West Elm – Need furniture for your new apartment? You can save 15% at West Elm with your student ID.
Pro Tip: Need a place to store all your purchases? You can take advantage of Bed Bath & Beyond's 20% discount for students.
STUDENT DEALS ON CELLPHONE SERVICE
Is your cell phone bill eating into your grocery budget? You might be leaving money on the table! Here’s what you need to know:
- AT&T – International student? You may qualify for discounted plans and waived deposits. Learn more about the AT&T International Student Program.
- T-MOBILE – The T-MOBILE MyPerks program is available to all customers. It includes weekly freebies and perks like free texting and wifi on flights.
- Verizon – College students can save $10 per month on an unlimited plan or $25 per month with two lines.
Another bit of advice? Stay on your family plan as long as you can! In most cases, your mom or dad can add a line for as little as $9.99 per month!
TRAVEL & TRANSPORTATION DEALS FOR STUDENTS
Spring break anyone?! Before you plan that next adventure, check out these incredible perks:
- Allstate – It pays to get good grades. Learn how to qualify for Allstate’s Smart Student discount.
- Amtrak – If you’re under age 25, you can save up to 25% on train tickets with your student ID.
- CoachUSA/ShortLine – Deals vary by school, so get the scoop on the bus fare discounts here!
- Farmers Insurance – Full-time students aged 16-24 can save on their Farmers Insurance policy.
- Geico – Geico offers both good student and good driver savings plans, which can add up to hundreds of dollars in discounts each year.
- General Motors – If you finance through GM, you can defer payments for 90 days and access exclusive student pricing.
- Greyhound – Save 10% on travel and 15% on shipping with a Student Advantage Discount Card.
- New Jersey Transit – If your school is on their approved list, you may be eligible for a 25% discount on all New Jersey Transit fares.
- State Farm – With their good grades program, you can save up to 25%.
- Travelers Insurance – Maintain a “B” average and you can save on your premiums at Travel Insurance. Age restrictions apply, so get the deets on their Good Student Discount.
As you can see, there are SO many ways to save some hard-earned cash and have plenty of fun along the way! So have some fun when you're not hitting the books, and enjoy your year with a little extra money in your bank account.
What’s your all-time-favorite student discount? Tell us in the comments below!
Looking for even more ways to have fun on a budget?
- If you’re a thrillseeker, you’ll love this one! Check out these ideas for active dates that will get your heart racing.
- Never spend a weekend bored again! Here’s how to find fun things to do near you.
- Short on cash but in need of a vacation? Learn how to travel on a budget with these CHEAP hacks, tips, and tricks.