Looking for some fun and easy ways to focus on gratitude and show your loved ones you care? This is just the post for you! Keep reading for 20 ways to express gratitude with your words and actions!
Did you know practicing gratitude is directly tied to happiness? That’s right! Those who foster and express gratitude are more likely to feel good, improve relationships, and even improve health! Could it get any better than that?
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
No matter what your love language is, we’ve got a way for you to show gratitude and appreciation to those you love. Whether it’s through words, time, or physical touch, use these tips to let them know how much you care. Seriously… What are you waiting for?!
HOW TO EXPRESS GRATITUDE WITH WORDS
If words are your preferred method of communication, we’ve got some great ways for you to promote gratitude and show it to others. Trust us, you don’t have to be a poet to make it count!
- Keep a Gratitude Journal – Even if we don’t share it with anyone else, keeping a gratitude journal is great practice to keep gratitude at the forefront of our minds.
- Write a Letter – Grab some cute stationary and write a letter to a friend, grandparent, or even your kids! It’s so much more personal than a text or email.
- Post It Notes – This one is so quick and easy, but it leaves a great impact! Grab a post it note, write a word of encouragement, then stick it to your husband’s mirror or stick it to your kid’s sandwich for a little surprise at lunch time.
- Speak It Outloud – Simply tell someone how much you appreciate them and why you’re grateful to have them in your life! Not only will it boost their morale, but it will boost yours too.
- Send Them a Word of Affirmation – A quick text with a powerful word of affirmation can go a long way to make someone feel appreciated and seen!
- Write it on the Bathroom Mirror – Grab a dry-erase marker and leave notes on the bathroom mirror! It wipes off easily and it's so fun to surprise your loved ones this way.
Start with one or try them all! But really, can you be too grateful?! We don’t think so.
ACTS OF SERVICE THAT EXPRESS GRATITUDE
If acts of service are your jam, these ways to express gratitude are right up your alley!
- Run an Errand for Someone – Not only does it show them you care, but it can also really help someone in need out! This is an excellent way to express gratitude toward the elderly, someone who is sick, or even a new mom!
- Cook a Meal – Invite them over for dinner or simply take dinner to their door!
- Take Out the Trash – Whether it’s at home or at a friend or family member’s house, take out the trash to show your appreciation.
- Ask If They Need Anything – Even if they say no, they’ll be glad you asked. It’s the thought that counts!
- Drop By to Say Hello – In the neighborhood? Pop by, say hello, and let them know you were thinking about them!
- Listen Intentionally – Take the time to listen to the stories and hear about their day to really make someone feel heard and appreciated!
- Bake Cookies – Bake a batch of our delicious sugar cookies, wrap them up in cellophane, and drop them off at their door. Stay and chat or make it a fun game of ding-dong-ditch!
- Send Flowers – Pick a wildflower bouquet and hand deliver, or call up a floral service and send a bundle of daisies to let someone know you care.
- Random Act of Kindness – Not sure about any of the previous ideas? Try one of these ten random acts of kindness!
Not only will these acts of service benefit the recipient, but you may also be surprised just how much of a positive impact they have on you, too! Don’t be afraid to bring your kids along and show them gratitude by example. It’s a great way to continue raising capable kids!
HOW TO SHOW GRATITUDE BY PHYSICAL TOUCH
Is physical touch how you show love? Here are some ways to show your gratitude to your partner or your friends and family by physical touch.
- Give Your Undivided Attention – While it may not technically be physical touch, eye contact lets someone know you value what they have to say and is a great way to show someone gratitude.
- Freely Hug – We all know a “not-a-hugger” person, right? Well, hug them anyway! Even if they feel uncomfortable in the moment, they’ll feel appreciated nonetheless.
- Squeeze Their Hand – Something as simple and subtle as a hand squeeze sends a great deal of gratitude into the heart of the recipient.
- Give Your Partner a Massage – Partner had a long day? Show them how much you appreciate them with a shoulder rub or a foot massage. Hey, you may just start a trend and get one in return, too! 😉
- Six Second Kisses With Your Sweetie – This one is so powerful and such a beautiful way to reconnect and show gratitude toward your partner. You’ll be surprised just how powerful and life-changing a daily six second kiss with your partner can be.
Whether you prefer post-it notes, cookies, or a hug, there are so many ways you can show gratitude to those you love. Remember, even if it doesn’t come naturally at first, practice makes you better! Cultivating gratitude becomes easier with practice and time. Before you know it, gratitude and positivity will be seeping into every aspect of your life!
How do you express gratitude to those you love? Share it with us in the comments below!
Want more positive fun, cheap, and free goodies? Check out these posts, too!
- Learn how to get and stay motivated even when you don't feel like it!
- Need a little help with positive self-talk? Try our man in the mirror challenge!
- Find out how a digital detox can make you happier and more productive!
We hope you have a great-ful day!