We could all use a reason to smile, right? Well, why not be the reason? These ten easy random acts of kindness ideas all cost less than $5 and will make the world a better place!
Do you ever wish you could do something to make a difference? If you feel overwhelmed about where to start, take a quick second and let these words from Eduardo Galeano sink in: “Many small people, in small places, doing small things can change the world.”
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Look, you don't have to raise thousands of dollars or travel the world to make a difference. Sometimes, the tiniest act of kindness can make a more significant impact than you'll ever know. Pick one random act of kindness this week and encourage your family and friends to hop on board, too. We've even got ten random acts of kindness ideas to inspire you!
5 RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS THAT DON'T COST A DIME
If you're looking for a way to keep the kids busy and teach them a lesson in kindness, get them involved! Here are five random acts of kindness that are both free and family-friendly:
- Make Cards for a Nursing Home – Here's a perfect way to get your kids to help spread kindness! Round up some crayons, markers, stickers, and paper, and get to work. Drop your artwork off at a local nursing home and make someone smile.
- Roll Your Neighbor's Garbage Bin Back – This one is so simple and takes just seconds, but is such a nice gesture. Before you roll your garbage bins back after trash pickup, do the same for your neighbors.
- Leave Positive Messages Around Town – Grab a few sticky notes and write some words of encouragement or inspirational quotes on them. Leave them on bathroom doors, shopping carts, or other random places where someone can find them.
- Text Someone a Compliment – Out of the blue, text an old friend a genuine compliment or a positive memory. It will make their day.
- Sidewalk Chalk Messages – Borrow your kids' sidewalk chalk or let them in on the fun. Write a nice message on your neighbor's driveway while they're away.
Don't you feel better already? Now, imagine how good these random acts of kindness will make your friends, neighbors, and local strangers feel! None of these ideas cost a dime, but they're all priceless.
Have a few bucks to spare? We have five more ideas for you!
RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS IDEAS THAT COST $5 OR LESS
If you're willing to shell out a couple of bucks, you can make a huge impact by choosing to act on one of these random acts of kindness ideas:
- Make Playdough to Share – Making playdough is a fun activity for a cold or rainy day. Turn your craftiness into an act of kindness by making a big batch to share with your church, preschool, or one of your kid's friends.
- Take Baked Goods to a Local Fire Station – Bake a batch of banana bread or brownies and hand-deliver them to your fire station.
- Mail Your Favorite Book to a Friend – Surprise a friend out of the blue and send them a book you think they'll love, just because.
- Leave Extra Quarters in the Parking Meter – The next time you head downtown, drop a few extra quarters in the parking meter before you leave. It will be a pleasant surprise for the next person.
- Leave a Gift Card on a Random Windshield – Grab a $5 gift card to a local coffee shop or fast-food restaurant and place it on a random windshield for a fun pick-me-up.
Want to do all five? Go for it! A few of these ideas cost less than a buck, so they're super budget-friendly.
HOW WILL YOU MAKE SOMEONE SMILE TODAY?
These ten ideas are really just the start! There are SO many ways you can brighten a day and make the world around you a little better. Pick up trash when you see it, hold a door, or leave an extra tip for your delivery driver. Every small act of kindness adds up, so spread some love!
Tell us what you've done to brighten someone's day in the comments below!
Looking for more inspo?
- Being present is an act of kindness, so learn how to unplug and do a digital detox.
- Learn how to stay motivated and treat yourself on a budget!
- If you want to give back to your community, try one of these family-friendly service projects.
You're amazing! Now, go pay it forward.