Let's be honest; potty training stinks. Literally. Lucky for you, we've got a few potty training tips that will make the situation a lot less crappy! (Sorry, we couldn't resist!) Plus – a cute free printable sticker chart!
Here at Fun Cheap or Free, we are no strangers to the adventures of ditching diapers. If you're gearing up to do it for the first time, just know that you've got this, mama! Take a few deep breaths and get ready to take some quick notes. We've got you!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Today's post is full of some of our team's best potty training tips and hacks. We've even got a few product recommendations for you! Keep reading because we're about to help you get rid of diapers for GOOD. There's even a free printable Potty Training Sticker Chart for you to download and use!
5 POTTY TRAINING PRODUCTS THAT ARE WORTH THE MONEY
Okay, before we get to the hacks, let's talk about a few potty training products that are pure genius. We're talking game-changers, you guys. We hope these help make your toddler's transition to pottyhood a bit easier! Without further ado, check these out:
- Squatty Potty – What is a Squatty Potty? This crazy little stool is made to help adults do their “business” in a more natural squatting position. TMI, we know. Funny enough, we actually love it for potty training! It makes it easy for little feet to climb up and use the actual toilet so you can skip the nasty toddler toilets.
- Illumibowl – IllumiBowl is a night light… for your toilet! Yes, it's real, and yes, it is a total necessity around here! The light attaches to your toilet and is motion activated. If someone comes in the bathroom at night, the light pops on, so seeing where to “go” is easy! No more blinding middle-of-the-night bathroom light experiences for you!
- Pull-Ups – This seems like a no-brainer, but don’t forget that by putting Pull-Ups on OVER underwear, you aren’t undoing any of the training…but you’re saving yourself (and aisle 5 at the grocery store…) potential messes. Stock up at Costco when they are on sale!
- Potty Training Chart – Have you ever met a kid who doesn't love stickers?! At under $10, this super fun potty training chart from Amazon is a no-brainer. It's an easy way to keep your kiddo motivated and make the experience more fun!
- The Original Potty Watch – You've got enough on your mind, and this Potty Watch means you'll have one less thing to remember! You can set it to remind your toddler to go potty every 30 or 60 minutes. It flashes, plays music, and is all kinds of fun.
Pretty cool, huh? Now let's move on to some potty training tips!
TIP #1: DON'T RUSH IT!
Whatever you do, wait until your toddler is ready. We'll say that one more time and louder for the Freebs in the back. WAIT UNTIL THEY ARE READY! Okay, sorry. We'll get off that soapbox now. Here's the deal!
Your kiddo may be three or even a little older before they master potty training. That's fiiiiiiine. We know it's cool and trendy to potty train them at like, eight months old (kind of kidding, kind of not), but for Heaven's sake, wait until they are good and ready, and it'll be less traumatizing for everyone. Are you with us? Okay, then let's move right along to tip number two.
POTTY TRAINING TIP #2: MAKE IT FUN!
Whatever you do, make sure the experience is a fun one! Here are few ideas:
- Get the Dolls/Stuffed Animals Involved – Grab an extra training potty on clearance and let your kid bring their favorite toy along for the ride. Everything is more fun with your best friend, right?!
- Throw a Party – Celebrate every victory 10x more than showing any form of frustration over their mistakes.
- Grab Some Treats – For some kids, M&Ms work. For other kids, experiences (like trips to the park) or toys go a lot further. Be creative and go with what works!
And don't forget about that nifty potty training chart we shared! You can include treats to step things up a notch.
POTTY TRAINING TIP #3: GO AHEAD AND BUY THE BIG KID UNDIES
Do you know how a new pair of sneakers or yoga pants can help you stay motivated to work out? Well, the same psychology applies to toddlers. Take them shopping for big kid undies and let them go to town picking out their favorites!
As they make good progress or hit certain milestones on that potty training chart, open a new pack or hand over a new pair. They'll be SO excited to show off those fancy new undies and so proud to earn that “treat.”
TIP #4: READ ABOUT GOING TO THE POTTY
Kids are like sponges, and one of the best ways to help them soak up new knowledge is by reading to them! Here are three super fun potty training books your toddler will love:
- Daniel's Potty Time – This adorable book has over 1,000 5-star reviews on Amazon!
- We Poop on the Potty – We never met a kid who doesn't want to read a book with poop in the title!
- Slip & Slide Potty Ride – A mom of twins wrote this one while training her girls, and we're kind of obsessed!
There are tons and TONS of potty training books to choose from, so take a trip to your local library and let your toddler pick a few!
POTTY TRAINING TIP #5: TRY THE BACKWARD TRICK
This one is really two tips in one! Bonus, Jonas! What do we mean by the backward trick? Here's what:
- Sit Your Boys on the Toilet Backwards – We can already see the lightbulb going off over your head. Enough said, right? Trust us when we tell you that this will be a lot less messy!
- Flip That Toilet Paper Around, Too – You know what toddlers love to do while they're sitting on the toilet? Play with the toilet paper. Save yourself a heck of a lot of time (and money) and keep those little hands from wasting all that paper.
Kinda brilliant, right? That last tip works after potty training, too. Hey, we've all been there!
Now you're officially ready to conquer the wild and crazy world of potty training. Don't overthink it, don't rush it, and try to have a little fun along the way, okay?
We hope these potty training tips help! Do you have other hacks to share? Leave a comment below!
Looking for more parenting advice? We've got you covered!
- Find out which chores are age-appropriate and snag a free chore chart printable!
- Learn how to get your little one sleeping through the night without crying it out!
- Get the scoop on how we recommend doing allowance for kids.
Good luck & happy potty training!