Burn calories, not your dollars, when you learn how to work out at home! We will show you everything you need to stay in shape and get healthy without spending a fortune on a gym membership!
Have you been looking for a way to get into shape and stay healthy but aren't sure you can afford a membership to a local gym? (Those things are so dang expensive!!) Don't sacrifice the health of your wallet thinking that's the only way!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Working out from home doesn't have to be expensive OR boring. (We read your mind there, huh!?) We'll show you how to get movin' and groovin' in the comfort of your own home in a way you will actually enjoy! Who knows… this may be just what you need to kick-stark your motivation and reach your goals!
WHY YOU SHOULD START WORKING OUT AT HOME
Working out and moving your body is CRUCIAL for your health! It's not about the waistline…NO! It's about feeling your best and having the energy to be productive throughout the day. Not to mention, exercise produces endorphins, dopamine, and serotonin, which reduce pain and make us feel sooooo good! Uh, yes please… sign us up!
WORK OUT AT HOME WITH NO EQUIPMENT
There are SO many easy and free ways to work out at home without any equipment at all! Here is a list of totally FREE resources to get your heart pumping and body sweating!
- Dance the Night Away – Grab your partner and take online dance lessons for free. Thank you, YouTube!
- Go for a Jog – Go jogging around your block or at a local walking track. Have kids in tow? Pack a jogging stroller and take them with you! If your kids are older, find a walking track with a playground you can keep eyes on at all times.
- Use Your Body – Calisthenics is HUGE right now in the workout world and guess what… you need nothing but your body to do it! Whoo hoo!
- HIIT – Burn fat and build muscle with high intensity interval training. All you need is the timer on your phone and your favorite high intensity moves… Hello, burpees!
- Free Online Videos – Take advantage of the many free workout videos on YouTube. Some require equipment, but many don't!
You see!? That ridiculously expensive infomercial workout equipment (that they just insist you have to have!!) isn't the only way to get a good sweat in at home after all! Take your at-home workout a step further and try this free fitness and food log.
GET A GOOD WORKOUT AT HOME DOING EVERYDAY ACTIVITIES
It's great to set aside a special “exercise” time in your day to get your home workout in, but that isn't always realistic. Especially for those with small children! Try these ways to work out at home doing everyday activities that are probably already on your schedule.
- Play at the Park with Your Kids – We know that bench looks comfy, but don't sit down! Instead, play with your kids and get your body moving.
- Vacuum the House – It may seem silly but housework can be tiring! Grab the vacuum and mop and give your house a good scrub while you give your body a good workout! If you usually take your time and take it slow, speed it up and see if you can get your heart rate up!
- Rock the Baby Standing Up – Skip the glider, stay on your feet, and bounce for an extra little workout.
- Weed the Garden – Come on… you know those weeds have been staring at you for weeks!! Get out there and pull them out. Don't forget the gloves!
- Mow the Lawn – While you're out there, bust out the lawn mower and cut the grass! Skip the ride-on and go with the push to really get a workout.
- Do Some Curls While Cooking – We know cooking can be hectic and busy, but there usually is a little wait time in there somewhere. Reach into your pantry and grab a couple of cans to curl while you wait on that casserole!
Take the daily activities you already have planned and turn them up a notch by doing them with a little more energy. Don't have the energy for that!? Fake it 'til you make it—we promise, it will come!
AT HOME WORKOUT GAMES FOR YOU AND YOUR KIDS
Working out isn't only beneficial for adults… Kids need physical activity, too! Get the whole family involved with these at-home workout games.
- Roll the Dice – This one is fun and easy. All you need is your body and a die! Designate an exercise for each number (like ten jumping jacks if you roll a two) and get to playing. Set yourself a goal for how many times you want to roll the dice before you start.
- Family Yoga – There are TONS of free resources out there to help you do Yoga with your kids! Trust us, they will LOVE it… who doesn't want to be a warrior!?
- TV Challenge – If you and your kids are accustomed to relaxing in front of the TV after school, mix it up with this fun activity. Choose a fairly common word and every time the TV show says that word, everyone has to get up and do five pushups! You get the best of both worlds.
- Play Exercise Simon Says – This twist on Simon Says will be fun for everyone and you won't even feel like you're working out! Simon says do ten squats… GO!
- Host a Family Race in Your Back Yard – Run backwards, forwards, sideways… mix it up! Maybe even have a sack race!
- Just Dance – We certainly can't forget about our favorite way to get the kids moving at home!
There are SO many ways to get yourself moving at home! Remember, physical exercise doesn't always have to look like a typical work out—it can be anything you do to move your body and your heart pumping! Have fun with it and we promise you'll reap the benefits. It might just become something you actually look forward to!
Let us know your favorite ways to work out at home in the comments below!
Check out these other helpful posts, too!
- Use these cheap ways to stay motivated by celebrating your wins! Treat yo' self!!
- Tell yourself these 70+ words of affirmation when you need a little boost of confidence!
- Learn how to get motivated and STAY motivated in every aspect of your life!!
Have fun working out!
Lucy Wyndham-Read – HIIT workouts on you-tube Fab!
Oh, thanks for the great tip!
The FitOn app has amazing free workouts. Bikini Body Mommy Challenges are great too!
Oh, that’s good to know! Thanks for sharing! 🙂