This dark, rich Mexican hot chocolate recipe from Melissa has hints of cinnamon and vanilla. It's the perfect drink for those cold, frosty nights! Serve it up at your next holiday party and watch it disappear.
Hey, there! Melissa from Beautiful Life and Home with an amazing Mexican hot chocolate recipe for you today. You might be wondering what the difference is between regular hot chocolate and Mexican hot chocolate. I'm glad you asked!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Mexican hot chocolate is not as sweet as your typical hot chocolate that comes in a packet. It's also made with darker Mexican chocolate (hence, the name), along with cinnamon and vanilla. Is your mouth watering yet? Keep on reading to get all of the deets!
TIPS FOR MAKING MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE
This recipe makes a little more than a gallon of hot chocolate. If you're serving a crowd, this is perfect! But feel free to cut the recipe in half or even fourths if you don't need such a large quantity.
It's best to make this in a large pot on the stove. You can serve the hot chocolate directly from the pot, or transfer it to a crock pot. I don't recommend making this in a crock pot, because you need the milk to get hot enough to melt the chocolate, and that could take a REALLY long time in the crock pot. Ain't nobody got time for that!
HOW TO SHELF COOK THIS RECIPE
This recipe calls for 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips and 2 tablets of Abuelita Mexican Chocolate. I usually find the Abuelita Mexican Hot Chocolate Drink Tablets at Walmart or Target in the section with the Hispanic foods. But if you can't find it or want to just use the chocolate chips you have on hand, go ahead and use 4 cups of chocolate chips and omit the Abuelita Mexican Hot Chocolate tablets.
I use large cinnamon sticks in my Mexican hot chocolate recipe. You can also use 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon if you don't have any sticks on hand. For an added Mexican twist, you can add a few pinches of cayenne pepper!
For the richest hot chocolate, make sure to use whole milk. You can even add in some canned evaporated milk (just substitute for part of the whole milk) to make it really creamy.
HOW TO DRESS UP MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE
I love to serve this in mugs with a dollop of whipped cream on top and a sprinkle of cinnamon. A cinnamon stick adds a nice touch and makes it feel extra fancy!
HOW TO STORE AND REHEAT LEFTOVERS
Save your gallon milk jug! Once the party is over, this is the perfect way to save your leftovers. Let the hot chocolate cool off a little. Then get a narrow-necked funnel and pour the hot chocolate into your milk jug. Put any leftover cinnamon sticks in the milk jug so they can keep imparting their cinnamony goodness. Refrigerate immediately.
You will notice that the chocolate will separate and sink to the bottom of the jug. Gently shake the jug before opening. Pour into a microwave-safe mug and pop it into the microwave for 1-1.5 minutes. You've got delicious Mexican hot chocolate any time!
MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE RECIPE
Alright, enough gabbing… Let's get to that recipe already! 😉
Mexican Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 1 Gallon Whole Milk
- 2 Cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 2 Abuelita Authentic Mexican Hot Chocolate Drink Tablets
- 4 Large Cinnamon Sticks
- 4 Tsp Vanilla
- Add eight cups (half a gallon) of whole milk to a large stock pot on the stove. Add the cinnamon sticks and stir occasionally.
- Heat over medium-high heat until the milk is steaming. Do not boil.
- Once the milk is steaming, carefully add the chocolate chips and Abuelita Mexican Hot Chocolate Drink Tablets. (Be careful! The chocolate chips tend to splash!)
- Stir constantly until all the chocolate is melted.
- Once all the chocolate has melted, pour in the other eight cups (half gallon) of milk.
- Add the 4 teaspoons of vanilla and continue heating until steaming. Stir frequently.
- Turn the heat down to low or transfer the hot chocolate to a crock pot to serve.
- Ladle into mugs and serve with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Doesn't that sound so crazy good?! Let me know how you like it in the comments!
Looking for more delicious recipes?
- Try out my Snickers apple salad for a delicious dessert.
- Hawaiian chicken and rice is a great way to use up your leftovers!
- This no-bake strawberry cream pie is sure to be a hit!
- Looking for an easy weeknight meal? You won't be upset about trying this chicken broccoli and rice casserole!
Hi, I'm Melissa! I help women like you create a beautiful life and home through the magic of cooking, the thrill of home organization, and the joy of discovering your personal style. Join me today on my site Beautiful Life and Home for your free gifts! Smiles and hugs, every day!