This dark, rich Mexican hot chocolate recipe has hints of cinnamon and vanilla. It's the perfect drink for those cold, frosty nights! Serve it up at your next holiday party and watch it disappear.
We have an amazing Mexican hot chocolate recipe for you today. Wait, Mexican hot chocolate?! You might be wondering what the difference is between regular hot chocolate and Mexican hot chocolate and we are sure glad you asked!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Mexican hot chocolate is not quite as sweet as your typical hot chocolate. It's made with darker Mexican chocolate (hence, the name), and adds a touch of cinnamon and vanilla. Mmm hmmm. Is your mouth watering yet? Keep on reading to get all of the deets!
This post was originally contributed by Melissa from Beautiful Life and Home! It's since been updated with even more hot chocolate yumminess!
TIPS FOR MAKING MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE
This recipe makes a little more than a gallon of hot chocolate. If you're serving a crowd, this is perfect! But feel free to cut the recipe in half or even fourths if you don't need such a large quantity.
It's best to make this in a large pot on the stove. You can serve the hot chocolate directly from the pot, or transfer it to a crockpot. We don't recommend making this in a crockpot, because you need the milk to get hot enough to melt the chocolate, and that could take a REALLY long time in the crockpot. Ain't nobody got time for that!
HOW TO SHELF COOK THIS RECIPE
This recipe calls for two cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips and two tablets of Abuelita Mexican Chocolate. We usually find the Abuelita Mexican Hot Chocolate Drink Tablets at Walmart or Target in the section with the Hispanic foods. But if you can't find it or want to just use the chocolate chips you have on hand, go ahead and use four cups of chocolate chips and omit the Abuelita Mexican Hot Chocolate tablets.
Use large cinnamon sticks in the Mexican hot chocolate recipe if you have them, or use one tablespoon ground cinnamon if you don't have any sticks on hand. For an added Mexican twist, you can even add a few pinches of cayenne pepper!
For the richest hot chocolate, make sure to use whole milk. You can even add in some canned evaporated milk (just substitute for part of the whole milk) to make it really creamy. So good!
HOW TO DRESS UP MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE
We love to serve this Mexican hot chocolate in mugs with a dollop of whipped cream on top and a sprinkle of cinnamon. A cinnamon stick in the mug adds a nice touch and makes it feel extra fancy if that's yo' thang!
This Mexican hot chocolate recipe also goes great with cookies! Try these birthday cake cookies and you won't be disappointed!
HOW TO STORE AND REHEAT LEFTOVERS
Save your gallon milk jug! Once the party is over, this is the perfect way to save your leftovers. Let the hot chocolate cool off a little. Then, get a narrow-necked funnel and pour the hot chocolate into your milk jug. Put any leftover cinnamon sticks in the milk jug so they can keep imparting their cinnamony goodness! Refrigerate immediately.
You will notice that the chocolate will separate and sink to the bottom of the jug. Gently shake the jug before opening it. Pour into a microwave-safe mug and pop it in the microwave for 1-1.5 minutes. You've got delicious Mexican hot chocolate any time!
HOW TO MAKE YOUR NEW FAVORITE WARM DRINK
Alright, enough gabbing… Let's get to that recipe already! 😉
Easy Mexican Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 1 gallon whole milk
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Abuelita Authentic Mexican Hot Chocolate drink tablets
- 4 large cinnamon sticks
- 4 tsp vanilla
- Add eight cups (half a gallon) of whole milk to a large stock pot on the stove. Add the cinnamon sticks and stir occasionally.
- Heat over medium-high heat until the milk is steaming. Do not boil.
- Once the milk is steaming, carefully add the chocolate chips and Abuelita Mexican Hot Chocolate Drink Tablets. (Be careful! The chocolate chips tend to splash!)
- Stir constantly until all the chocolate is melted.
- Once all the chocolate has melted, pour in the other eight cups (half gallon) of milk.
- Add the 4 teaspoons of vanilla and continue heating until steaming. Stir frequently.
- Turn the heat down to low or transfer the hot chocolate to a crock pot to serve.
- Ladle into mugs and serve with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Doesn't that sound so crazy good?! You'll love how easy it is to make and your family and guests will love how delicious it is. That's a win-win in our book! 😉
Let us know how you like it in the comments!
Looking for more delicious recipes?
- Check out these 45+ ways to use up leftover pears!
- This easy 4-ingredient garlic brown sugar chicken is sure to be a hit!
- Looking for an easy weeknight meal? You won't be upset about trying this chicken broccoli and rice casserole!