Running out of ways to keep the kiddos entertained? We love this easy and cheap slime recipe! Find out how you can keep the kids busy for hours using just a few simple ingredients. You'll thank us later!
How often have you heard those two dreaded words lately? Moms, we feel you! Ya know what they say about idle hands? It’s SO true. Especially when kids are involved.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
At Fun Cheap or Free, we love to block schedule in fun, and one of our go-to activities for quiet playtime is slime. First of all, who doesn’t love playing with slime?! It's fun for all ages. Second, it’s SUPER easy to make with just a handful of ingredients you probably already have on hand. Keep reading for an easy slime recipe that will quickly become a family favorite!
SUPPLIES YOU'LL NEED FOR THIS EASY SLIME RECIPE
The great thing about homemade slime is that it's not only super easy to make, but it's also affordable. Why buy it when you can make it?!
Who's ready for a fun project? Channel your inner child for this mini science experiment! First, you'll want to gather all the necessary supplies. The good news? You likely have most of it on hand already.
Here's what you'll need:
- Contact lens solution (Make sure it contains Boric Acid & Sodium Borate. We recommend the Equate brand since it's so affordable.)
- Elmer's glue
- Baking soda
- Gloves (Optional, but a good idea to have on hand if your skin is sensitive)
- An airtight container for storage
That's it. Seriously. When we said easy, we meant easy.
DON'T EAT THE SLIME
First, a word of warning: making slime is fun, but for safety reasons, be sure to leave this task for an adult. It's also important to supervise children at all times when slime is involved. It's not safe for eating, so be careful with the little ones!
Easy Slime Recipe
- 6 oz Elmer's glue
- 1 ½ Tbsp contact lens solution
- ⅓ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup water Optional
- Start by adding all the glue to your bowl.
- Next, mix in the baking soda.
- Once combined, start adding the contact solution. Go slow, and add just a bit at a time. Mix, mix, mix with a spoon. If you’d like a stretchier consistency, you can add one tablespoon of water at a time.
- Store in airtight container or enjoy immediately!
Pretty easy, right? If this is your first time making this recipe, then here are a few…
EASY SLIME RECIPE TIPS
Use these tips for success when making this easy slime recipe:
- Add the contact solution slowly and steadily! This is the key to slime success.
- Mix with a spoon until a slime-like texture begins to emerge.
- Use a little elbow grease when you're kneading. It's a little work, but it's so worth it for that forearm workout!
Once you’ve gotten the slime to your desired consistency, you’re done! Call in the kids and watch the fun begin. Though we think you'll end up playing with it, too (there's no shame in that game).
HOW TO STORE SLIME
If you're not careful, slime can dry out pretty quickly. No one wants that! We like to store our slime in airtight containers with lids. You know those handy containers your lunchmeat comes in? Those are perfect for storing things like slime! Label the lid with the date you made the slime.
If you don’t have any containers on hand, a ziplock bag can work in a pinch. Just make sure to let all the air out before you seal the bag!
Pro Tip: Keep your slime in the fridge to make it last longer! While it doesn’t officially go “bad,” be sure to toss it if you notice mold forming.
HOW TO GET SLIME OUT OF THE CARPET
Let’s face it. Messes will happen. Don’t let that deter you from the magic of slime! Finding slime in your carpet is never a fun surprise, but if you find yourself in this predicament, here’s what you need to know. Vinegar works wonders!
Fill a bucket with warm water and vinegar and grab a scrub brush or sponge. We suggest a ratio of ⅔ vinegar to ⅓ water. Pour a little bit of the solution onto your carpet at a time and use the brush to loosen the slime. When you’re done, blot dry with a towel. Once dry, vacuum away any remaining residue. Voila!
Alright, well there you have it! Our favorite easy slime recipe is always a fun way to entertain the kids and it's perfect for the holidays as well. What's your favorite add-in when making slime? Let us know in the comments!
If you’re looking for other ways to keep the kids busy, we have more ideas!
- Check out this list of 130+ ideas for at-home activities your kids will love.
- Be sure to read this post that's filled with TONS of ideas for keeping even the most energetic kids entertained.
- Learn all about our block scheduling system. This is guaranteed to CHANGE YOUR LIFE. Seriously. (And keep boredom at bay!)