Shopping online is super convenient (plus, you can rock those slippers)! But, when you're paying for shipping, that adds up (and fast)! Did you know there are some simple, clever ways to get free shipping on Amazon orders? Yep. And we're here to show you how.
People these days are buying so much online that it can be hard to even remember what you ordered when a package shows up on your door. #RealLife But just because you're ready to do a high volume of online shopping doesn't mean you should spend too much on shipping!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Did you know that there are some clever ways to get free shipping when you shop on Amazon? If you didn't know, we're about to be your best friends. Get comfy, grab a pen, and prepare to scoop up all these handy ways to save money on shipping!
DO YOU HAVE TO BE A PRIME MEMBER TO GET FREE SHIPPING?
There truly are so many amazing perks (see below about the perks!) to being an Amazon Prime member that you may want to consider it. HOWEVER, if your sole goal is free shipping on your Amazon purchases, you don't necessarily have to enroll in Prime.
Take a look at four ways to get free shipping from Amazon below and see if one (or all!) works well for your shopping.
1. HOW TO GET SUBSCRIBE AND SAVE FREE SHIPPING PERKS
We all have household products that we use regularly like toilet paper or multivitamins. For those things, you can DEFINITELY take advantage of the Subscribe and Save option and get free shipping. To enroll:
- Go to the Subscribe and Save section of Amazon.
- Find products that you want to receive regularly and click the “Subscribe” button next to them.
- Then, you'll receive that item at regularly scheduled times with free shipping and often up to 15% off.
Pro Tip: Only use Subscribe and Save for things that you GENUINELY need and will use up before the next shipment. It won't save you any money if you just start growing a hoarded stockpile of something you don't need.
2. STUDENT PRIME DISCOUNTS
There are SO many perks for being a student. One of the very best perks that many people probably aren't aware of is the Amazon Prime student discount.
Students who have an active .edu email address can get an Amazon Prime membership for only $49 per year which is about half of the cost for a typical membership.
You can keep this 50% discount on your membership for up to 4 years, so take advantage if you have a student in school.
3. ADD FILLER ITEMS FOR FREE SHIPPING
There's a sneaky little way to get free shipping without an Amazon Prime membership. Add filler items!
To take advantage of this hack, you must spend more than $49 and some of that purchase must be “eligible items.”
For example, you've ordered $46 worth of items and need to push your order over the threshold for free shipping. You can find a $3 eligible item to add to your order that will get you free shipping.
You can even use handy websites that can help you spot an eligible item based on the amount you need to spend! Check out FillerItem.com to try it out.
4. FREE SHIPPING ON PRE-ORDERS
Want a way to get free shipping without spending any extra money on your order and without getting an Amazon Prime subscription?
A great way to do it is to add Pre-Order items to your order.
This hack has a couple of steps to remember. The pre-order items will count toward your total order amount, but you don't actually get charged for those items until they ship. Smart, huh!
EXTRA PERKS IF YOU ARE AN AMAZON PRIME MEMBER
The last thing to mention is the perks that may make an Amazon Prime membership worth it. Yes, we know that those memberships can be expensive, but they do come with some great benefits. Here are a few benefits of an Amazon Prime membership that you might enjoy:
- Free Delivery – This one's the most obvious benefit.
- Streaming and Digital Benefits – You gain access to Prime Video, Amazon Music Prime, Amazon Photos, and more.
- Shopping Benefits – Annual Prime Day deals, Prime Exclusive Deals, Prime Wardrobe and more.
- Reading Benefits – Prime Reading and Amazon First Reads plus discounted magazine subscriptions.
- Bonus Benefits – Free upgraded shipping at Zappos.com, share your Amazon Prime membership with one other adult, and a free upgrade trial to Audible.
So if you aren't already an Amazon Prime member, we get that it's an investment. Just take a look at the free shipping and other benefits to decide whether the subscription is worth it for you.
What is YOUR favorite way to get free shipping? Leave a comment below to tell how you save on shipping.
Looking for some extra ways to save?
- Make some freeze ahead breakfast foods for your family.
- How to budget for your family.
- Try out a spending freeze for your family.