Stop reaching for the junk and pack your snacks with some nutrition! These yummy and easy healthy snack ideas will be your new favorite things to reach for when you need a little pick-me-up in between meals on those busy days.
You take care of our kids all day long, help them get out the door each morning, chauffeur them from place to place, make sure they have a good breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner to fuel their bodies… Then you have to work on added daily tasks on top of everything else!
In all the hustle and bustle, it's easy to about your own needs! A “meal” might consist of kids' leftover toast crust and a few bites of cold cereal. Not to mention one of those questionable snack bars that are convenient but have zero health benefits…
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
It's time to get out of this crazy rut and take a minute to fuel yourself with something healthy. It may be easier to grab one of those snack bars out of the pantry, but don't do it! You'll be way more productive if you choose one of these healthy snack ideas! Who knows, you may even find a quick, new go-to snack that you love…
HOW TO SNACK HEALTHY AND BE MOTIVATED
It's so easy to fall into the same old rut and routine when it comes to eating. Our bodies get used to eating poorly. *Enter craving those junky snacks* Sugar addiction is real, people! While you may not believe it now, it really is possible to retrain your brain and start craving these healthy snack ideas that we'll be sharing with you in a few.
WHERE TO START
First, you need to purge your pantry of unhealthy food. Wait, what? *gasp* How can you even say that? Yes, we know, but that's the only way to stay on track and not go back to those junky snacks we all love so much. (We're talking to you, sugary cereal!)
While it may sound wasteful, we're not exactly asking you to just throw it in the trash. If you have prepackaged snacks that haven't been opened, have your hubby take them to work and share them in the breakroom. Or have your kids draw pictures and take those with the snacks to your local fire or police stations.
If you have boxes of brownie mix (or other mixes) in your pantry, save them for your next party or church potluck dessert contribution, so long as they won't tempt you. If they tempt you, share them with your neighbors or donate them to a local food bank!
You'll get the bonus points of doing something kind while also purging your pantry of the junk you don't want to be tempted to eat! Slowly fill those shelves with healthy snack alternatives, while sticking to your budget, and you'll feel so much better!
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY SNACKING EASIER
We realize that the hardest part of eating a healthy snack every day is having the time to prepare it. Hence the fact that it's so easy to just grab one of those junky snacks and eat it really fast. But don't do it! We've got a ton of healthy snack ideas that are so easy to prep ahead of time.
Portion snacks out on the weekend so you can easily grab and go when you need a quick little bite. All you'll need are small plastic cups, snack-sized baggies, and some food containers. Designate a healthy snack section in your pantry and fridge where you will know to reach for those pre-portioned snacks in a pinch!
OUR FAV HEALTHY SNACK IDEAS
These delicious snacks are tried and true! They'll have you forgetting those other “snacks” in no time. Plus, you really can't go wrong with any of these, and they're not just for adults! Try them out on your kids and see how quickly they disappear.
FRUITY SNACK IDEAS
If sweet is your jam, then you're going to love these healthy snack ideas! You can easily prep some of these ahead of time. Keep in mind that some fruit is better when prepared right before you're ready to eat it (we're looking at you, bananas). Here are some easy peasy ways to get your fruit fix:
- Apple Slices and Peanut Butter – Fruit, plus a little extra added protein? Yes, please! You can use any type of nut butter. Bananas also go well with peanut butter.
- Peaches and Cottage Cheese – Talk about good! You get a good amount of protein from the cottage cheese, and the peaches make it so sweet.
- Cool Whip Fruit Salad – This is one of our favorite fruit salad recipes! Use sugar-free ingredients and you've got a fruit and protein-packed treat that's super delish.
- Greek Yogurt with Fruit – If it's hard for you to eat fruit on its own, throw it in some greek yogurt! You can thank us later. 😉
- Bowl of Mixed Fruit Drizzled in Honey – Sometimes there's nothing better than a bunch of different types of fruit drizzled with some raw honey on top. It adds just a hint of sweetness along with some antioxidants.
- Green Smoothie – Pack your smoothie full of whatever fruit you have on hand, plus some yogurt, juice, and some spinach! Pre-make your own frozen smoothie packs to make your healthy smoothie that much easier.
Don't those sound so good and refreshing?! Portion that peanut butter, cottage cheese, and greek yogurt out ahead of time to make grabbing one of these snacks easier.
VEGGIE SNACK IDEAS
There's nothing better than a nice, crispy vegetable, right?! Say hello to your new favorite savory snacks. You won't miss those greasy chips at all once you start munching on these nutrient-rich goodies!
- Red Bell Peppers and Guacamole – This is a great, healthy snack idea that will net you some healthy fats along with some fiber. Score!
- Broccoli and Ranch – Let's be honest, ranch dressing just makes everything better! If you aren't a huge fan of a particular vegetable, try dipping it in a little ranch. Chances are, you'll quickly become a fan. Some of our favorite other veggies to dip in ranch include carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, and cauliflower.
- Carrots and Hummus – You can't go wrong with this delicious snack! If you don't have any carrots on hand, try celery, cucumber, or bell pepper. If you're completely out of veggies, try a few pretzels, multigrain crackers, or pita bread in your hummus!
- Celery Sticks with Peanut Butter – This is one of our favorite go-to snacks. Take it back to your childhood and put raisins on top to make it ants on a log!
- Kale Chips – Talk about a healthy snack idea that's packed full of nutrition! Pinterest has tons of ideas to make your own.
- Cherry Tomatoes and Mozzarella – Oh man, this is a good snack! If you want to take this tasty idea one step further, put it over a bed of spinach and arugula and drizzle with some balsamic vinaigrette (that you can make from scratch!).
Pro Tip: Prevent guacamole from going brown by pressing your guac down into a container with a spoon to get all the air bubbles out. Then, cover it with half an inch of water, put a lid on it, and store it in the fridge for a few days. When you're ready to eat it, pour the water off and stir the guac. It'll taste as fresh as the day you made it!
HEALTHY PROTEIN-PACKED SNACK IDEAS
Protein goes a long way when you're hungry! It'll keep you fuller longer and it doesn't take a ton to satisfy you. You can premake pretty much all of these healthy snack ideas so they're on-the-go-ready.
- Tuna Salad – Tuna salad and carrots make for a tasty little treat whenever as a pick-me-up in-between meals.
- Chicken Salad – Make your chicken salad with low-fat mayo and eat it with some multigrain crackers for an extra protein boost in your day.
- Jerky – While jerky may not be the cheapest, it's a convenient and easy way to get some protein (especially when you store snacks in your purse)! Buy a big bag when they go on sale at Costco and break it down into smaller snack-sized portions.
- Mixed Nuts – Eat them by themselves or pair them with a little bit of dark chocolate.
- DIY Protein Packs – Protein packs from the store are so expensive. Why not make your own? All you need are some nuts, dried fruit, diced cheese, and voila! So much cheaper than buying them from the store.
- DIY Lunchable – We love a good homemade lunchable, especially when they save a ton of money! Whole wheat Ritz crackers, cheese, and lunch meat make the best snack. Reminisce back to your childhood and enjoy!
- Hard-Boiled Eggs – These are a cheap and easy protein-packed snack! They're easy to eat on-the-go, too. Make them in your Instant Pot for a quick snack!
- Energy Bites – Peanut butter, oats, honey, flaxseed, chia seeds, and a little bit of dark chocolate is all you need to make these delicious little morsels of goodness!
Mmmmm, yes, please! We love how convenient ideas these are, while still being filling!
So there you go, a bunch of delicious, healthy snack ideas for adults that are sure to be a hit. What's your favorite snack? Let us know in the comments!
And hey! While you're here, have you checked out ShelfCooking.com yet? Our brand new site is dedicated to helping you cook delicious, homemade, down-home-cooked meals for your family without spending too much time in the kitchen!
Basically every parent's dream, right? Join our Shelf Cooking Community today!
Looking for more great snack ideas?
- These healthy snacks for kids are great for adults, as well!
- Needing some out-of-the-box ideas for after-school snacks?
- These family-friendly muffin tray snacks are about to become your new favorite way to watch a movie together!