Stop reaching for the junk and pack your snacks with some nutrition! These healthy snack ideas are sure to be your new favorite things to reach for when you're needing a little pick-me-up to get to the next meal on those busy days.
We take care of our kids all day long, help them get out the door each morning, chauffeur them from place to place, make sure they have a good breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner to fuel their bodies… Then we have to work or get our daily tasks done around the house to make sure everything is taken care of!
In all of the hustle and bustle, we can forget about our own needs! A “meal” may consist of our kids' leftover crust that they didn't want and a few bites of cold cereal. Not to mention one of those junky snack bars that are convenient in a pinch, but have zero health benefits…
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
It's time to get out of this crazy rut and take a minute to fuel yourself with something healthy. It may be easier to grab one of those snack bars out of the pantry, but don't do it! You'll be way more productive if you choose one of these healthy snack ideas! Who knows, you may even find a new go-to quick snack that you love…
HOW TO SNACK HEALTHY AND BE MOTIVATED
It's so easy to fall into the same old rut and routine when it comes to eating. Our bodies get used to eating poorly. *Enter craving those junky snacks* Sugar addiction is real, people! While you may not believe it now, it really is possible to retrain your brain and start craving these healthy snack ideas that we'll be sharing with you in a few.
WHERE TO START
First, you need to purge your pantry of all of the unhealthy food. Wait, what? *gasp* How can you even say that? Yes, we know, but that's the only way that you will be sure to stay on track and not go back to those junky snacks that we all love so much. (We're talking to you, sugary cereal!)
While it may sound wasteful, we're not exactly asking you to just throw it in the trash. If you have some prepackaged snacks that haven't been opened, then have your hubby take them to work and share them in the breakroom. Or have your kids draw some pictures and take those and the snacks to your local fire or police stations.
If you have boxes of brownie mix or anything else like that in your pantry, save them for your next party or church potluck, as long as they won't tempt you just sitting in your pantry. If they will tempt you, then share them with your neighbors!
You'll get the bonus points of being friendly while also purging your pantry of the junk that you don't want to be tempted to eat! Slowly fill it with healthy snack alternatives, while sticking to your budget, and you'll feel so much better!
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY SNACKING EASIER
We realize that the hardest part of eating a healthy snack every day is that sometimes you just don't have the time to prepare it. Hence the fact that it's so easy to just grab one of those junky snacks and eat it really fast. But don't do it! We've got a ton of healthy snack ideas that are so easy to prep ahead of time.
Get them portioned out on the weekend so that you can easily grab and go when you need a quick little bite. All you'll need are small plastic cups, snack-sized baggies, and some food containers. Designate a healthy snack section in your pantry and fridge where you will know to reach for those pre-portioned snacks in a pinch!
OUR FAV HEALTHY SNACK IDEAS
These delicious snacks are tried and true! They'll have you forgetting those other “snacks” in no time. You really can't go wrong with any of these, and they're not just for adults! Try them out on your kids and see how quickly they disappear.
FRUITY SNACK IDEAS
If sweet is your jam, then you're going to love these healthy snack ideas! You can easily prep some of these ahead of time. Do keep in mind that some fruit is better left to wash and slice right before you're ready to eat it. Don't try prepping those fruits ahead of time or else they'll be gross and turn you off your good snack that you were looking forward to eating!
- Apple Slices and Peanut Butter – This is a great way to get some good fruit in your system, plus a little extra added protein. You can use any type of nut butter. Bananas also go well with peanut butter!
- Peaches and Cottage Cheese – Talk about good! You get a good amount of protein from the cottage cheese and the peaches make it so sweet.
- Cool Whip Fruit Salad – This is one of our favorite recipes! Use sugar-free ingredients and you've got a fruit and protein-packed treat that's super delish.
- Greek Yogurt with Fruit – If it's hard for you to eat fruit on it's own, throw it in some greek yogurt! You can thank us later. 😉
- Bowl of Mixed Fruit Drizzled in Honey – Sometimes there's nothing better than a bunch of different types of fruit drizzled with some raw honey on top. It adds just a hint of sweetness along with some antioxidants.
- Green Smoothie – Pack your smoothie full of whatever fruit you have on hand, plus some yogurt, juice, and some spinach! Pre-make your own frozen smoothie packs and make your healthy smoothie that much easier.
Don't those all sound so good and refreshing?! Portion that peanut butter, cottage cheese and greek yogurt out ahead of time and that'll help to make grabbing one of these snacks easier.
VEGGIE SNACK IDEAS
There's nothing better than a nice, crispy vegetable, right?! Say hello to your new favorite savory snacks. You won't miss those greasy chips at all once you start munching on these nutrient-rich goodies!
- Red Bell Peppers and Guacamole – This is a great, healthy snack idea that will get you some healthy fats along with some fiber. Score!
- Broccoli and Ranch – Let's be honest, ranch dressing just makes everything better! If you aren't a huge fan of a particular vegetable, try dipping it in a little ranch. Chances are, you'll quickly become a fan. Some of our favorite other veggies to dip in ranch are carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, and cauliflower.
- Carrots and Hummus – You can't go wrong with this delicious snack! If you don't have any carrots on hand, you can also try celery, cucumber, or bell pepper. If you're completely out of veggies, try a few pretzels, multigrain crackers or pita bread in your hummus!
- Celery Sticks with Peanut Butter – This is one of our favorite go-to snacks. Take it back to your childhood and put raisins on top to make it ants on a log!
- Kale Chips – Talk about a healthy snack idea that's packed full of nutrition! Pinterest has tons of ideas to make your own.
- Cherry Tomatoes and Mozzarella – Oh man, this is a good snack! If you want to take the tasty factor one step further, then put it over a bed of spinach and arugula and drizzle with some balsamic vinaigrette (that you can make from scratch!).
Pro Tip: There's nothing worse than making a bunch of guacamole to snack on and having it all go brown before you can finish it! You can keep that from happening by pressing your guac down into a container with a spoon to get all the air bubbles out. Then, cover it with half an inch of water, put a lid on it and store it in the fridge for a few days. When you're ready to eat it, pour the water off and stir the guac. It'll taste as fresh as the day that you made it!
HEALTHY PROTEIN-PACKED SNACK IDEAS
Protein goes a long way when you're hungry! It'll keep you fuller longer and it doesn't take a ton to satisfy you. You can premake pretty much all of these healthy snack ideas and make them grab-and-go when you need to.
- Tuna Salad – Tuna salad and carrots make for a tasty little treat whenever you're needing a little pick-me-up to get you to the next meal.
- Chicken Salad – Make your chicken salad with low-fat mayo and eat it with some multigrain crackers whenever you're needing a little extra protein in your life.
- Jerky – While jerky may not be the cheapest, it's definitely a convenient and easy way to get some protein. Especially for when you're out and about! Buy a big bag when they go on sale at Costco and break it down into smaller snack-sized portions.
- Mixed Nuts – Eat them by themselves or pair them with a little bit of dark chocolate.
- DIY Protein Packs – The ones from the store are so expensive. Why not make your own? All you need are some nuts, dried fruit, diced cheese, and voila! So much cheaper than buying them from the store.
- DIY Lunchable – Whole wheat Ritz crackers, cheese and lunch meat make the best snack. Reminisce back to your childhood while you eat them!
- Hard-Boiled Eggs – These are a cheap and easy protein-packed snack! They're easy to eat on-the-go, too. Make them in your Instant Pot for a quick snack!
- Energy Bites – Peanut butter, oats, honey, flaxseed, chia seeds and a little bit of dark chocolate is all that you need to make these delicious little morsels of goodness!
Mmmmm, yes, please! We love how convenient this are, while still being nutritious! So there you go, 20 healthy snack ideas for adults that are sure to be a hit. What's your favorite snack? Let us know in the comments!
Have you checked out ShelfCooking.com yet? Our brand new site is dedicated to helping you cook delicious, nutritious and budget-friendly meals for your family without slaving away in the kitchen!
Basically every parent's dream, right? Join our Shelf Cooking Community today!
Looking for more great snack ideas?