Be ready for anything, just by packing a few summer diaper bag essentials. Meghan is here today to share her favorite items that will not only make your summertime outings easier, but will also save you some money!
Hi Freebs! I'm Meghan Kingsford, and I'm so excited to be here with you today! I love moms, mom stuff, and moms who love mom stuff. Talking all things mom is my jam! If you love what I'm bringing to you, then follow along with me on YouTube and Instagram so we can hang out some more!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Summer time is full of spontaneous adventures – don't be afraid to say “yes!” to a little fun just because you don't have something on hand! You'll also be prepared to combat the stress of emergencies, by keeping your diaper bag and car stocked with a few simple supplies. Check out what Jordan keeps in HER car so she's prepared for anything on the go!
Ready to find out what I pack in my diaper bag? Let’s get to it!
SUMMER DIAPER BAG ESSENTIALS
Here are five items to add to your summer diaper bag to help you have the most successful, fun summer with your family AND save you money along the way. But that was a given around here, of course.
LIGHTWEIGHT PICNIC BLANKET
No more using Grandma’s flannel blanket or ratty beach towels at the park. It’s time to invest (this one is only $25!) in a lightweight and compact blanket that is easily shaken off and wiped down.
A lightweight picnic blanket is perfect for laying out at the park, but it also comes in handy on chilly summer nights in an emergency when you're out watching fireflies.
Make sure when you are selecting one that is a good fit for your family to look for these features:
- Weighted corners because there is nothing worse than your blanket running off without you.
- An attached pouch, so you don’t have to keep track of two different items. That’s a recipe for disaster if there ever was one, I’d say!
- Large enough for your family, so your beautiful trip to the beach isn’t ruined by bickering over who is breathing who’s air… again.
SNACK + LUNCH BOX COMBO
Do you know what one thing you’ll spend more money on during family outings if you don’t plan ahead? FOOD. Here’s what our family uses to fight those HANGRY feelings head on.
When looking for a good bento-style lunchbox, I recommend finding one that:
- Is dishwasher safe.
- Has multiple compartments.
- Is compact.
- Is easy for little hands to open and close on their own without spilling.
Have you ever gotten all of your kids out to the park only to realize the city has already turned on the water feature you *may* have forgotten was there and realized at the end of this outing you’re going to be left with a half load of wet laundry? YUP, me too. That is why I’m obsessed with keeping a wet bag in my diaper bag all summer long.
Here’s what I look for in a wet bag that I can rely on to keep my wet stuff wet and my dry stuff dry:
- Two compartments – I can keep all of my diapering essentials tucked away inside one zipper and have another compartment available for any soiled or wet clothing, swimsuits, shoes, etc.
- Machine washability, unless you’d like to get the muck out of it with your bare hands. Personally, I don’t love doing that, but to each their own!
- Leak-proof because I don’t want any water ruining my diaper bag or anything I have inside. Shocking, I know!
REUSABLE SWIM DIAPER
To be completely honest with you, I’m not usually one to always be searching out environmentally-friendly products. BUT, I am 100% interested in money-saving products that also benefit the earth. If you have recently purchased disposable swim diapers, you’ll know that they cost about as much as two appendages (i.e. an arm and a leg) every time you buy a tiny package of them. It’s truly painful for those of us who worship at the Fun Cheap or Free seat!
Let’s get down to it then! What to look for in a reusable swim diaper:
- Leak proof! This one is a bit more expensive than some others that look similar, but it was rated the #1 reusable swim diaper by Parents Magazine. A pretty hearty endorsement, if I say so myself.
- Adjustable waist and leg opening! A swim diaper that can fit babies from 8lbs to 35lbs is all good news in my book because it means I can use one product summer after summer until that great day of fully potty-trained-ness.
INSULATED WATER BOTTLE
It seems like everywhere you turn, there are options now for cute and (relatively) inexpensive insulated water bottles. If you don’t have one yet, I say grab one because it’s going to save you money and time to add this to your diaper bag (here's the bag pictured) essentials list this summer.
You never want to be in the position of being forced to buy water at huge markups out and about because you are caught unprepared! Trust ya girl, it’s also a major bummer to wander through a zoo looking for one not-so-clean water fountain and miss the one time-slot to feed the giraffes.
Here’s what I look for in a good water bottle:
- Insulated! We live in Texas, so this makes good cold water a necessity during the summer.
- Ease of use! I have three children under five and if I have to carry individual waters for each of them I may be a hunchback by 30, so I only buy ones all of us can use without spilling directly down the front of our shirts.
- Cute! But, only if its on sale. I’m not a heathen, after all.
If you'd like to see all of these essentials in action, check out my YouTube video for them HERE.
Alright, there you have it! Are you excited about all of the fun summertime activities that you can take your soon-to-be-packed summer diaper bag to?
Jordan has a great list of 100 Fun, Cheap or Free Summer Activities for Kids that I plan on doing this summer! Let me know in the comments if you have any must-have essentials in your summer diaper bag!