A few years ago I was in a bind, and needed last-minute Thanksgiving appetizer ideas in a big way. I put a call out to my Freebs on social media and was BLOWN AWAY! You all gave me the best ideas! To this day, they are some of my favorite recipes. I compiled them into a post that is now super old and outdated. I’m once again in need of some killer Thanksgiving appetizer and side dish recipes, so once again, I turned to my Freebs!
Here are DOZENS of easy (last-minute) appetizer ideas from YOU Freebs!
Here are your responses and recipes:
- Mary Jenkins: Green bean casserole is easy peasy. Follow the directions on the back of a french fried onion container but I use Trader Joes cream of mushroom soup and I promise it makes all the difference.
- Christie Stover: We used to do the standard green bean casserole but Pioneer Woman’s green bean casserole is YUM. Costco has bagged organic fried onions and they’re tasty on everything.
- Tia.fowlesSausage: Stuffed mushrooms for us!
- hkomenda: This is my all-time favorite Thanksgiving/fall appetizer: JerryJamesStone.com and White Cheddar and Cranberry Dip
- Walking_kateastrophe: Baked Brie! Buy a wheel of Brie and a box of pre prepared puff pastry. Put the cheese on top of one of the squares of pastry and top with jam and nuts. Or just jam. Or nuts and honey. Wrap in the pastry – using a second one if needed and seal up good. Bake and serve warm with sliced baguette or crackers!!
- Maggiecgarner: We do shrimp cocktail!
- healthyhappyhome: The best chip dip! Three ingredients: lentils, bruschetta (in a jar) and feta cheese. All from Trader Joe’s. Serve with pita chips or tortilla chips. It takes ten seconds to throw together and it’s a crowd pleaser!!
- mcrump20: Soften a thing of cream cheese, cover in salsa and serve with chips or crackers! Or do a thing of sausage, Velveta cheese and a some diced tomatoes with green chiles! Warm in the crock pot, sooo yummy!
- huntingTwo fav’s: Bacon wrapped chestnuts; pomegranate salsa served with corn chips.
Jarred Pickled asparagus from Costco, cream cheese and ham. You lay out a piece of deli ham, spread with cream cheese and place a piece of asparagus then roll. So good and so yummy. Pretty easy and can make in advance if needed.
- honest_harm: Brown sugar Brie- soften Brie in oven then top with a mixture of brown sugar, brandy and pecans chips. Put back in the oven until caramelized and melty. Serve with crackers, apples and pears.
- taviluv: Cranberry jalapeño salsa with cream cheese and chips or crackers. And I agree with so many others about the baked brie. You can’t go wrong with that deliciousness.
- kimmyburch: I second the cranberry salsa. Last year for Thanksgiving I made the cranberry salsa over cream cheese and it was so good!
- catie.and.co: Bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeños are always a fave at our get togethers! If I need something simple that takes a few minutes to throw together, I do Brie with homemade cranberry sauce & walnuts, or Brie with honey & toasted almonds. Goat cheese and bacon stuffed peppers are pretty easy too!
Dana H: Little smokies wrapped on bacon! Yum!
Stephanie P: Bacon wrapped smokies:)
Lori W: This Pinwheel is one of my favorites:
Michelle P: Just make the veggie tray “cute”.
Patti B: Simple tomato and basil bruschetta on baguette.
Natalie C: Lil smokies w/BBQ sauce
Carissa T: Sausage cups! (Wonton wrappers stuffed me cooked sausage, ranch dressing and shredded cheese, tucked into mini muffin tins) Also, crack dip w crackers. (Sour cream, packet of powdered ranch, bacon pieces, shredded cheese).
Patti B: I like to add balsamic vinegar, but this recipe is close: http://www.tastebook.com/…/3430189-Cheesecake-Factory…
- 1−1/2 cups chopped roma tomatoes
- 2 red onion
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- dash of ground black pepper
- 1/2 loaf french baguette or ctusty italian bread, sliced into 5−7 slices
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 2−3 sprigs italian parsley
- In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, garlic and basil.
- Add 1/2 Tbsp. of oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat broiler, slice the bread in 1″ slices diagonally to make 5−7 slices.
- Combine remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp. oil with the garlic salt. Brush entire surface of each slice (both sides) with the olive oil mixture.
- Broil slices for 1 1/2−2 mins. on each side, until surface starts to brown.
- Arrange bread like spokes of a wheel on plate.
- Put the chilled tomato mixture in a pile in the middle of the slices. Garnish with italian parsley.
Jamie M: Li’l smokies wrapped in bacon glazed in brown sugar.
Andrea R: Jalapeños cut in half. Filled w cream cheese and spicy sausage. Topped w cheese and wrapped in bacon. Low broil 5-10m. BEST APPETIZER EVER
Amy W: Wrap a fresh pineapple chunk in a half slice bacon, secure with a toothpick (not the colored ones-the color bleeds) and bake in 375 oven until bacon is crispy. DELICIOUS! Make sure the pan is covered in foil or parchment paper for easy clean up.
Debby R: CHEAP and EASSSSSYYYY: Get 30 slices of salami cut at a #1. Cut those rounds in half. Smear a tsp of cream cheese inside and add a peppercini – roll up and you’re done! Make a ton because they go fast!
Lorraine H: Wontons with sweet & sour sauce or artichoke dip. Or…I like 7 layer dip
Jenny P: Put a block of cream cheese cheese on a plate, cover with red pepper jelly, sprinkle with pomegranate seeds. Serve with assorted crackers. It will be a huge hit!
Jenny P: Whip together 1 block room temp cream cheese, 3/4 c. brown sugar, cinnamon to taste and 1 tsp. vanilla till very light and fluffy. Then add approx. 2 cups whipped cream or Cool Whip. Serve with apple slices sprinkled with cinnamon. Apples never had it so good!!
Kelly J: A guaranteed hit. Mexican Pinwheels. Med. flour shells. 8oz. Cream cheese. 1 pkg dry ranch dressing mix. 1/2 small can of chopped black olives 1 sm can green chilies. 1 sm. jar of pimentos. 2 diced green onions. 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese mix together and spread on the flour shells. Roll up chill slice in rings and serve with salsa.
Anna H: Ranch cheese ball. 8 oz soft cream cheese and packet of dry hidden valley ranch mix. Roll in bacon bits. Easy and delicious!
Melanie G: Cranberry Salsa: 1 bag fresh or frozen(thawed) Cranberries,1 Granny Smith apple peeled,cut into 1/8ths,1/2 large red bell pepper seeded,1/2 med. red onion chopped large, 3/4 cups sugar,1/3 cup apple juice,3cilantro,2 Tbs. pickled jalepeno (canned),1 tsp. grated lime zest. Pulse in food processor until consistency you desire serve with tortilla chips.
- Jennifer G: Always a hit – Sassy Chicken Enchilada Dip: http://jensrecipebox.blogspot.com/…/sassy-chicken…, or Buffalo Chicken Dip:
Nicole W: Cheap and Easy! one can of corn, drained; one can of mild Rotel, drained; one can of black beans, rinsed and drained; one bag of shredded cheddar cheese; one bunch of green onion, chopped; and ranch dressing (about one cup). Mix me all together and serve with chips or crackers. I never have any left whenever I take to a party!!
Megan P: l Veggie pizza. Roll out crescent rolls on bar pan & bake. Meanwhile mix 1 block cream cheese with a little dry ranch, season salt, & dill. Spread cream cheese over crescents after they cool. Top with broccoli slaw mix, sliced cucumbers, & sliced red bell pepper.
Kent R: Jalapeño poppers. I made them for the last family party and they disappeared in 3 minutes.
Joanna T: I like cowboy salsa (so quick and easy), or a block of cream cheese with that spicy raspberry pepper jelly and crackers.
How amazing are my Freebs?? I’m going to make the cranberry dip for sure. I haven’t decided on the others, there are so many to choose from! What are YOUR favorite Thanksgiving (or Christmas) pre-dinner appetizers? Leave a comment and share!
Happy Turkey Day to all, Bon Appetit! XOXO