One of our favorite holiday traditions is “elfing” friends and neighbors. Want to get in on the fun with your own family service tradition? Our gift to you: a FREE “You've Been Elfed” printable! By the end of this post, you'll be full of elf-confidence and ready to spread holiday cheer.
The season of giving is officially HERE!!! Can you tell we're a little excited?! We love Christmas for so many reasons, but there's just something magical about bringing joy to the ones we love. One effortless way to do that is through the elf tradition.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
If you've never been elfed or been an elfee (is that even a word?), you may be wondering what the heck we're even talking about here. Fear not, we're about to let you on this fun holiday family service tradition. Plus, we're sharing a free you've been elfed printable you can use, and we'll inspire you with just a few of our favorite gift ideas. Let's go!
YOU'VE BEEN ELFED: WHAT IN THE HECK DOES THAT MEAN?
If you're new to the Christmas elf tradition, you're in for a super fun treat! Think secret Santa combined with ding dong ditch… the concept is sweet yet simple. A neighborhood “elf” goes undercover and leaves a surprise gift on the doorstep of a friend or neighbor, along with instructions for that person to pay it forward. Then you ring the doorbell and run! The result is a domino effect of holiday cheer that's nothing short of enchanting.
With all the hustle and bustle of the holidays, it's easy to lose sight of the real meaning. We love finding all sorts of ways to remind our kiddos that the absolute joy of Christmas comes from giving to others. Involving them in this elfing tradition helps them understand how much fun it is to brighten someone else's day.
Another perk? This is a fun family activity! Get the kids to help you put your gift basket together. Not only will it keep boredom at bay over Christmas break, but it's also just one more easy way to raise capable kids! And just wait until you see their excited little faces as that you've been elfed printable starts to appear on more and more front doors. Seriously! All. The. Feels.
YOU'VE BEEN ELFED FREE PRINTABLE
Let's start spreading that holiday cheer! Before you prep those baskets of goodies, you need the perfect you've been elfed sign to go with it. We've got your back, Freebs! Print this one and attach it to the gift you leave on your neighbor's doorstep.
But, remember: Shhhh! It's a secret. Remember, don't tell your giftee who it's from. Just leave the surprise, and sit back and watch the Christmas spirit spread throughout the neighborhood.
6 CLEVER YOU'VE BEEN ELFED GIFT IDEAS
What sort of gifts should you leave to elf someone. Oh, you know we've got ideas! And good news — NONE of them will break your budget. Sleigh, what?!
Here are a few of our favorite gift ideas:
- A Hot Cocoa Gift Basket – Gather up a few mugs, a pack of marshmallows, and your favorite cocoa mix. It's so simple to pull it all together in a beautiful basket and toss in a couple of candy canes!
- Homemade Ice Cream Kit – Here's a fun, easy, and tasty idea! Print off this recipe for homemade ice cream. Scoop up some cute bowls from the Dollar Tree, toss in your favorite sundae toppings, and prepare to delight a neighbor!
- Winter Weather Gear – Help your friends stay warm with these ADORABLE hand warmers. Toss in a hat or scarf if you'd like!
- Basket Full of Baked Goods – Wouldn't you love to find a batch of these chocolate chip cookies at your front door?! Or this banana bread? Okay, why not both?
- Christmas Movie Night in a Box – Grab your favorite Christmas DVD on Amazon. (It's A Wonderful Life, anyone?) Put it in a gift bag with some popcorn and candy. You've just made a neighbor's day!
- Handmade Ornaments – Get crafty! Gather some pipe cleaners and red and green beads to make some Christmas ornaments.
We bet you're feeling the Christmas spirit now! Now go forth and elf!
LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES
What are your family's favorite holiday traditions? Drop us a comment below! Or, better yet, head to Instagram and tag us @funcheaporfree to show us what you did for your neighbors!
Looking for more ways to have some winter fun?
- These themed Christmas party ideas for kids will help make your season bright.
- There's no excuse for holiday boredom this year! Download this ultimate holiday bucket list.
- Making your list and checking it twice? Don't forget to set a holiday shopping budget, too!
Now, get your-elf in the holiday spirit!