Does your yard have weeds and need a little TLC? Check out this post for tips on how to get a green lawn that doesn’t cost you an arm and a leg! It’ll have you seeing green… grass!
Generally speaking, going “green” means spending lots of green…. you know, the dollar kind. Having a green, weed-free lawn can can cost $300-$500 a year. That's just for lawn fertilizer and weed killer, alone! #TRUTH
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
I don't want to spend a fortune keeping my lawn looking nice and I also don't like having to keep my kids off the grass for a few days after we have fertilized it. I asked my dad if he had a better solution and he said all you need is sugar. Seriously, that’s all that you need for a green lawn!
Don't believe me? Keep reading to see how easy it is!
HOW SUGAR GIVES YOU A GREEN LAWN
Plain white table sugar may just be the answer to your green grass problems!
- Sugar feeds beneficial microbes, insects, and worms.
- It won’t cause allergic reactions in people or pets.
- Sugar will fortify grass while discouraging weeds.
- It is easy to apply.
- It is cheap.
- Sugar will not only give you a green lawn, but will help you to “go green,” meaning that it is free from chemicals that damage the soil, our water supply, and ourselves.
HOW MICROBES AND INSECTS BENEFIT GREEN GRASS
Chemical fertilizers and herbicides kill off the beneficial microbes and insects that enrich soil. Sugar, which is the simplest carbohydrate, feeds them. And in turn, they will enrich your soil by:
- Increasing nutrients and enhancing the absorption of those nutrients.
- Promoting nitrogen availability.
- Increasing photosynthesis for a greener plant.
- Stimulating root formation.
- Improving soil structure.
- Increasing humus levels.
- Providing resistance to the climate extremes of heat, drought, and cold.
- Controlling fungal diseases like brown spot.
St. Augustine and other grasses thrive on nutrient-rich soil. Weeds, on the other hand, love poor soil. They because they can take over and crowd out unhealthy sod that barely gets enough nutrients from those sporadic, artificial feedings. Nutrient-rich soil, on the other hand, nourishes your green lawn every day without depletion.
IT'S EASY TO APPLY SUGAR TO YOUR LAWN
If you have something like this hand-spreader or this broadcast spreader to help disperse the sugar it is helpful, but not required. One of the best things about using sugar for your green lawn care is that you don’t have to be precise and you don’t HAVE to use a spreader!
TIPS FOR SPREADING THE SUGAR BY HAND
- I use an old juice container with a wide mouth, and walk up and down the lawn, shaking out the sugar.
- Use a 5-pound bag for each 1,000 square feet of lawn. You cannot use too much, and it won’t burn your grass if more sugar spills on a concentrated area. You can’t say that about chemicals!
- I would suggest applying sugar several times during the first year of use. Since your lawn has been damaged from years of chemical applications, it needs time for those artificial fertilizers to be leached out of the ground and even more time to replenish those microbes that have been chased away.
- Once your lawn is normalized and you have your beautiful, green grass, you only have to spread sugar twice a year – during the spring and fall.
- After applying, thoroughly wet down your lawn.
If you want to make your green lawn healthy and at the same time eliminate weeds, fire your lawn care company and start using sugar! Just try not to eat too much while you’re throwing it on your green grass!
Check out the following posts for more tips on household chores:
P.S. Did you like this post? If so please subscribe to my newsletter so you don't miss another one!
WHILE YOU'RE HERE… Don't forget about my Secret Sauce online budgeting program, Budget Boot Camp! It's a super fun video program that makes money easy to understand. All you need is a screen and you're set!
And don't forget, if you don't save at LEAST what you paid for the program, I'll refund every dime. You've got nothing to lose! Use the code FCFBLOG to get an extra 10% off, because I love you 😉