Who's ready for a REAL challenge?? This week is WATER ONLY week which means we all get to drink more water—ummmm…and by that I mean, only water! Anyone else scared? Check out the deets, plus why this week is sooooo goood for you, below!
Alright, we all know that you NEED to drink water to be strong and healthy, but sometimes it's just so dang hard! Did you know that it's recommended that you drink EIGHT 8 ounce glasses a day? Sounds like a lot! Another common recommendation is about an ounce of water for each pound you weigh!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Water is so important, it keeps your body functioning properly. It helps boost your immune system and flushes out the toxins that build up over time! Not only that, drinking water increases the amount of energy you have to accomplish your every day tasks and it helps your brain focus on those things that are important to you… hello productivity! Did you know water could do all that??
Okay, so now that we're feeling all kinds of motivated, let's talk challenge deets!
WATER ONLY CHALLENGE
Here are the rules! It's actually pretty easy when you're just writing it down or saying it out loud. Say this with me…
For 7 days straight, I will only consume WATER…and nothing else. That's right! The challenge is to drink only water! No coffee, alcohol, Koolaid, Crystal Light mix thingies, juice or even sports drinks. Just plain. old. WATER. for 7 days. WE CAN DO THIS!
Saying it is easy, following through is the hard part. So yes, I'm a little scared. I'm exhausted! Hello—mom of eight right here! I've gotten all too used to my caffeine kick in the middle of the day to keep me going.
Yes, there are sports drinks that are healthy for you! But the purpose is to cleanse our bodies of all the UNHEALTHY stuff that we swallow each day, and to get in the habit of reaching for a water bottle rather than a Coke when we're thirsty.
TRACK HOW MUCH YOU DRINK
Set a goal for how much water you want to drink each day to help you be successful. Setting a goal will help you have something to work towards.
Not sure how to keep track of how much water you're drinking? They have these awesome water bottles that help you know how much to drink by a certain time each day. We also have these handy-dandy nutrition and fitness trackers that you can use as well!
TIPS TO HELP YOU GET ENOUGH WATER
If you're having a hard time getting enough water each day, try a few of these things to help you! First off, as I mentioned above—set a goal! This will help you feel more accomplished as you drink each glass during the challenge. We all love that feeling of accomplishment that comes as we reach a goal!
Drink a glass of water first thing when you wake up, before each meal and right before bed!!
Carry a water bottle with you wherever you go. If water is easily accessible, you really have no excuse! Plus it acts as a reminder of your goal. You could also set reminders on your phone.
Not everyone is a fan, but you can always try infusing your water with fresh flavors like citrus, strawberries or even mint and cucumber! Have you ever tried this?? What did you think?
BENEFITS OF DRINKING WATER
Need a little more motivation? We already talked about how water helps flush out toxins, boosts immunity and helps give you more energy to conquer your daily checklist! Here are a few more awesome benefits of drinking enough water…
- Decreases headaches and allows your brain to focus.
- Helps keep you feeling full so you don't binge eat all the chocolate kisses. Drink a glass before you eat a meal and you'll have an easier time sticking to proper portions.
- Boost your metabolism so you burn more fat.
- Helps you lose weight. Remember how it keeps you full?? Yeah, if you don't overeat, it's much easier to get to and maintain a healthy weight!
- Keeps ya… regular! Need I say more?
- Helps ease joint aches and pains.
- Fights bad breath!
- Lends to more beautiful skin—mind-blown! Did you know this?? Without enough water our skin dries out and is more likely to wrinkle. Water keeps you hydrated and looking all fresh and glowy!
Sounds like a miracle worker! Plain old water can do all of that. It's definitely worth it to try to drink more water.
So what do you say, who's with me!?!? (…and who is just. plain. terrified?)
Want some more awesome tips to help you get more energy and stay motivated?
- Check out these 10 tricks for How to Get More Energy—besides drinking water, that is!
- Tips on how to GET MORE SLEEP! That will for sure help you be more productive, don't ya think?
- And you'll love these Healthy Snack Ideas for adults to keep you fueled for a long day!
- Want to get moving? Try these Active Date Night Ideas and get a fun workout in with your sweetheart!