Love is in the air, you guys! Are you feeling unprepared for February 14th? Don't worry–we've got TONS of Valentine's Day ideas that we guarantee you'll love. Best of all? Every single idea is affordable!
We love a good holiday just as must as the next gal, but you know what we don't love? Feeling stressed out about holidays or experiencing mom guilt for not planning enough picture-perfect activities. Or, worst of all? Overspending on holidays!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
If you're looking for AFFORDABLE, creative, heartfelt ways to celebrate the season, then keep on reading. We've pulled together some of our favorite posts and resources to help you have the best V-Day ever!
STEP ONE: SET A BUDGET
You guys. We're going to step up on our soapbox for a hot minute. You do NOT need to go into debt to make fun memories or show your friends and family how much you love them. We're about to put our money where our mouth is and prove it!
Yes, we're serious. You need to set a budget for Valentine's Day! And spoiler alert: aim low. As you're setting your budget, be sure to consider including these things:
The holidays aren't an excuse to throw your budget out the window, so if you're buying cookies for V-Day, those come out of your grocery budget. Gifts for the hubs? That should come out of your budget. How much you spend is up to you, but when the money's gone, it's gone. Kapish? If you want to go all out one year, plan ahead and set aside a little extra cash in your slush fund!
Okay, that's the quick 101 on setting a V-Day budget! Want more deets? Head over to this post that's filled with Valentine's Day budgeting tips!
Now to the REALLY fun stuff. Let's save you some serious dough and get to planning an EPIC celebration! You're going to love these tips and tricks. Who's excited?! We've pulled together some of our best advice, as well as some posts from our sister site, Shelf Cooking, to help you spread some major love this V-Day!
HOW TO SAVE MONEY ON VALENTINE'S DAY
It's easy to get caught up in the excitement and overspend, but remember experiences > things! And keep track of your spending, because all of those small expenses can add up pretty dang quickly if you're not careful! Here are a few quick tips for saving money on Valentine's Day:
- Look for Deals – Instead of buying the full-price Valentine's Day candy, stock up after Christmas! Look for candies with red wrappers and snag them on clearance.
- Skip the Flowers – We know they're pretty, but they are EXPENSIVE, and they die so quickly. Want to gift a plant? Go for a houseplant with longevity! It's a gift that keeps on giving.
- Trade Babysitting with Friends – Instead of paying for a babysitter for your night out, why not swap services with a good friend? They can have their date on Friday night, and you can go on yours on Saturday night! It's a win-win.
- Keep Gifts Low-Key – A heartfelt, homemade gift feels much more personal than a generic $50 sweater or another plush teddy bear. If you really want to impress your main-squeeze, give them some homemade chocolate-covered strawberries!
Following these simple tips will pay off big-time! Want more advice? Don't forget to read that budgeting for Valentine's Day post. Seriously, go take a peek!
Now, wondering how to personalize your gift-giving this year and show the fam some major love? Well, we've got gift ideas galore!
VALENTINE’S DAY GIFT IDEAS
Want to give your kids a Valentine's Day gift that won't break the bank? Your parents, friends, or main-squeeze? Try one of these ideas:
- “10 Things I Love About You” – How stinking cute is this FREE printable?! It makes a great gift for anyone you love. And if their love language is words of affirmation, this is worth more than any pricey gift!
- Slideshow/Video – We know you've got thousands of selfies, pics, and videos on that phone, so turn them into something special! Make a cute video reel with your favorite song, and make sure you have tissues handy. Cue the tears!
- Scrapbook – Get a little old school and print all those pictures from your phone. Make a big batch of hot cocoa and enjoy turning those pages together.
- The Gift of Time – Sometimes, quality time is the best gift of all! Plan a technology-free candlelight dinner for the whole family. Your kids will love it!
Are you looking for more creative, affordable, and memorable gift ideas? We've got you covered! Check out these 20 free Valentine's Day ideas, and then be sure to read all about 7 ways you can show love in 7 days–complete with advice specific to all the love languages.
KID-FRIENDLY VALENTINE'S DAY ACTIVITIES TO TRY
We love making memories for our kiddos–especially around holidays. But sometimes it's overwhelming trying to compete with the action on Pinterest or Instagram! Can we get an “amen?!” Here's the good news. Your kids don't want picture-perfect crafts, cookies, and outfits. They just want to have fun and spend time with you! So, instead of stressing yourself out, take a few quick minutes to read all about our favorite Valentine's Day ideas for kids. You've got this, girl!
While you're at it, don't miss out on this winter bucket list for the family! Cold weather doesn't mean you have to stop you from having fun. Check out all the activities you can do together as a family this winter, and save one or two for a special Valentine's Day treat! You may even find a little inspiration in there for a fun date with your Hunny, which brings us to our next point!
VALENTINE'S DAY DATE IDEAS
Are you looking to plan the ultimate date night for your cute hubs? Our free Valentine's Day ideas roundup includes a whole section on dates that don't cost a dime! What?! Yup, we said it.
We've got a few more quick tips to help you keep the romance alive:
- Take Turns Planning – Trade off on the date-planning duties. One person can take V-Day, and the other can be in charge of anniversary celebrations. Switch it up each year. Whoever is in charge has to plan the date, secure the babysitter, and pay for it all.
- Make it a Date Night In – Get cozy by a bonfire, cook dinner together and then watch a movie, or have a fun game night after the kids are in bed.
- Plan a Daytime Date – Instead of making dinner reservations, go for a hike, and pack a picnic! Breaking a sweat together is a great bonding experience and kinda sexy, right?
- Use a Gift Card – Did you get any gift cards for Christmas? Save and use them for your V-Day date! Now all you need is a babysitter.
Remember, the important thing is spending quality time together, so be creative! Now, let's get back to the kiddos for a second. It's party planning time.
PARTY PLANNING TIPS YOU'LL LOVE
If your kids are like ours, we bet they love a good party! Birthday parties and Christmas parties are pretty easy to plan, but what the heck can you do for Valentine's Day?! Oh, don't you worry! We've got some ideas. Check out our guide to planning a Valentine's Day party on a budget. In the meantime, here are a couple of quick tips:
- Set up a Hot Cocoa Bar – It's the small touches that make a party stand out, and this one is a crowd-pleaser! Round up marshmallows, sprinkles, and your other favorite toppings and go to town. Be sure to try Jordan's hot cocoa recipe on our Shelf Cooking site!
- Make Your Own Sweet Treats – Instead of buying expensive candy or baked goods, make your own! Try these ooey-gooey bars from our Shelf Cooking site, or whip up some cake mix cookies.
- Choose a Theme and Ask Guests to Pitch In – For example, maybe you post an all-red party and ask each guest to bring their favorite red-colored-food. You won't have to break the bank, and your guests will have fun coming up with a treat to contribute!
- Let the Kids Help – You guys know how we feel about #raisingcapablekids, right? Don't let all the party planning fall on your shoulders. Give them an assignment! Let the older kids help bake cookies and clean up after the party. Have the little one help you decorate. You get the idea! Don't forget to add their jobs to their chore chart.
See, not so hard? Don't let party planning overwhelm you! Have some fun with it.
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!
Now you're ready to fall back in love with Valentine's Day. From gifts to date night, activities for the kids, and more, you've got everything you need to make this a holiday to remember.
Fill us in our your plans! Drop a comment below and let us know about your favorite Valentine's Day traditions.
Are you looking for more holiday-themed content?
- Get a jump start on Easter! Read all about our favorite Easter family traditions.
- These homemade Christmas gifts could work for any occasion.
- It's never too soon to start thinking about summer! Learn how to plan a fun and affordable 4th of July bash.
Sending lots of love your way!