Valentine's Day may traditionally be a day for lovers, but our kids love it too! Make this holiday special for your kids with these 26 unique and free Valentine's Day ideas!
Take some time this month to show your kids just how much they mean to you! Giving them their own Valentine's Day celebration is the perfect way to do just that. And no worries for all you procrastinators out there (ME!!), these Valentine's Day ideas for kids are so easy and most require no prep at all!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
In case you haven't noticed, I fly by the seat of my pants most of the time. Unfortunately for my husband, that tends to mean that holidays (especially the cutesy ones) sneak up on me and catch me off guard, resulting in a last-minute scramble. #workingonit
Thus, if you're like me and need some last-minute Valentine's Day ideas pronto…Baby, I've got you covered! Just head on over to my Valentine's Day Pinterest board and you'll be flooded with awesomeness. I really focus on realistic, doable, won't-want-to-kill-yourself-by-the-time-its-done projects and ideas. No Martha Stewart-esque madness over here!
Check out some of my favorite Valentine's Day ideas for kids and families:
Here are 26 simple and quick ways to make the day special without blowing the budget. In fact, it doesn't have to cost a thing!! But shhh, don't tell them that—let them think you went all-out!
VALENTINE'S DAY IDEAS FOR KIDS
Valentine's Day doesn't have to be expensive. Try out some of these activities to make this Valentine's Day kid-friendly and loads of fun!
- Make it a red-out day – Wear red and eat red all day long!
- Take a family walk – Point out all the red and pink things along the way.
- Play musical hearts – Place paper hearts in a circle. On the bottom of each heart write a funny dance move or silly activity like spin in 3 circles or jump up 10 times. When the music stops, check the other side of your heart and get moving!
- Have a movie night – Make popcorn and add pink sprinkles. Bonus points for drinking something pink, too!
- Pass out flowers on a local street – Buy a cheap bundle of flowers (like carnations) and pass them out to random people you pass by. It might just make their day!
- Ten things I love about you printable – Get them thinking about others with this fun printable!
- Write love poems to a family member – Glue conversation hearts on the note to fill in words where you can!
- Family candle-light dinner – Make them feel special!
- Volunteer at a local animal shelter – What kid doesn't like petting puppies!? Teach them to show love to all creatures!
- Valentine's Day bottle toss – Spray paint 6 water or soda bottles and line them up like bowling pins. Make a heart-shaped ring with a pipe cleaner and toss away!
However you do it, make the most of your time together by setting aside all distractions. This is what will truly make the day special for you and your kids!
VALENTINE'S DAY TREATS
It doesn't take much to excite the heart of a child. Make some of these easy and (almost) free Valentine's Day treats for your little sweetie and watch the excitement bubble!
- Cut their food into hearts – Sandwiches, fruit or treats—get that heart-shaped cookie cutter out (or make one out of foil) and get to cutting!
- Hot chocolate – Do this one together. Mix it up in the kitchen and top it with whipped cream and pink sprinkles!
- Heart shaped pancakes – Make delicious homemade pancakes with a heart-shaped twist.
- Make heart-shaped pizzas – Another round classic made with a twist. Go crazy and cut your pepperonis into hearts, too!
- Make chocolate covered strawberries – A Valentine's Day favorite! They're so easy to make on your own and so much cheaper, too.
- Oreo ladybugs – All you need is Oreos, red candy melts and sprinkles. Dip 2/3 of the Oreo into the melted red chocolate the cover with sprinkles!
- Pink cookies – What kid doesn't love colored food? Add a chocolate kiss on top for good measure!
- Write notes on the fruit – Send your kids to school with a banana that says “I'm BANANAS about you!” or an orange that says “Orange you glad you're mine!?” We promise it'll be a hit!
Make these treats together at home or serve them as a surprise in their school lunch box. Either way, these are sure to bring a smile to their face!
VALENTINE'S DAY CRAFTS
Valentine's Day crafts are a perfect way to show someone you care. Here are a few of our favorites your kids can make for themselves or give as meaningful gifts! Plus, you probably have most of these items in your home already, making these crafts totally free!!
- Make DIY paper conversation hearts for each other – Cut out hearts from construction paper and write down kind things about each other. Hang them on the recipient's door with scotch tape!
- Fortune cookies – Write your own Valentine fortunes and stick them inside paper or felt fortune cookies you make yourself.
- Paint rocks with hearts – Free-hand these or make thumbprint hearts. Hide them in fun places downtown or at a local park for other people to find!
- Make homemade valentines for friends – Markers, glitter glue, stickers—use whatever you have on hand! Deliver or mail them so your friends get them before Valentine's Day.
- Heart sponge painting – Cut a sponge into a heart, dip in paint and go!
- Heart wreath – Cut the center out of a paper plate and glue paper hearts around.
- Valentine’s Day slime – Add color, beads and glitter—lots of glitter!!
- Make handprint hearts – No matter how old they are, have them make a handprint heart and add the date. You'll love having this memory to look back on!
Forget the mess and have a blast! Let your kids go crazy and make those memories—Valentine's Day only comes around once a year, after all!
SHOW THEM YOUR LOVE
So, there you have it—26 easy, fun and FREE Valentine's Day ideas for you and your kids to do together this Valentine's Day. Use these opportunities to really show your kids just how much you love them and help them learn to do the same for those they love as well. Those are the things they'll really remember!
What is your favorite way to celebrate Valentine's Day with your kids? Tell us in the comments below!
Looking for other helpful posts?
- Check out these unforgettable Valentine's Day Party ideas that won't break the bank!
- Need a little help with your kid's nighttime routine? See just how we do it!
- Feeling strapped for cash this holiday season? Learn how to start a budget when you're living paycheck to paycheck!