Calling all witches and goblins, it's party time! We've rounded up the best Halloween party ideas to make your spooktacular night easy without spending too much money. It's time to get your BOO! on.
Double, double toil and trouble; fire burn and cauldron bubble. We love all things Halloween. The costumes, Halloween decor, music, it's all so much fun! That's why we love to host a good Halloween party. And contrary to popular belief, it doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
We've got some tricks, treats, and a whole lotta fun up our sleeves with these Halloween party ideas. Whether your party is for kids, tweens, teens, adults, or everyone, prepare to have a blast. You'll be the coolest house on the street! So, are you ready to get this literal party started?!
HALLOWEEN PARTY IDEAS
You can make your party as simple or as over-the-top as you desire. As long as there's food and fun, your guests will love it! Here are some of our favorite Halloween party ideas to get your creative juices flowing and get that party rockin'!
- Themed Costume Party – Themed parties are always so fun and make for the best pictures! Make sure to give your guests plenty of advance notice, though. They need to have enough time to figure out what they want their costume to be and where to find it on the cheap.
- Costume Contest – Pick a fun prize then have everybody vote on their favorite costume at the end of the party! The prize doesn't have to be anything extravagant. It could be a simple old trophy you find at a thrift store and spray paint black or a $5 gift card to a popular drink stop, like Swig or Sonic.
- Themed Decorations – Pick a theme for your party then decorate according to that. Base it off of your favorite tv show, movie (Hocus Pocus, anybody?), book, or spooky thing. Play the movie or tv show in the background. Bonus points for themed music and food!
- Fun Games – Games are always a fun way to get your guests involved and having a good time! Pinterest has a ton of Halloween party game ideas for all ages, from kids to teens to adults.
- Cool Lighting – Set the mood by thinking about your lighting. Dim the lights if you have can, drape fabric or silks over your lampshades, use black lights or colored lightbulbs if you have them, or use electric candles around the house. This will really take your Halloween party up a notch!
Not too bad, right? It doesn't take a lot to have a fun experience for people! Honestly, you could have the same party year after year and your guests would still love it. Make it a tradition (if you want) to make it easy on yourself!
HALLOWEEN PARTY FOOD IDEAS
The food may not be the reason that people come to your Halloween party, but it's definitely a perk! You don't have to spend a ton of money and you don't have to go all out where everything-is-Halloween-themed, either. There is such a thing as a cheap party food to feed a crowd! Here are some of our favorite Halloween party food ideas that don't take much time or effort:
- Bloody Punch – Forks & Follies does not disappoint with her spooky berry bloody Halloween punch and ice hands! It will make a great centerpiece on your food and drinks table. Serve it in a large bowl with some cheap plastic cups from the dollar store. It'll make a fun decoration for your table while also being a delicious drink!
- Popcorn Hands – These are so simple to make and they're fun for kids, tweens, teens, and adults! All you need is candy corn, popcorn (or Pirate's Booty puffed corn that's safer for younger kids to eat), plastic food-safe gloves, and twist ties. Add the candy corn to the bottom of each finger, then fill each finger and the hand with the popcorn. Close with a twist tie and boo! You've got a fun and delicious Halloween treat that didn't take too much time.
- Bloody Finger Hot Dogs – This one may not be for the faint of heart or for younger kids, but this cheap and easy Halloween food idea from Salty Canary will not disappoint! All you need are some hot dogs, buns, ketchup, and a little time to make those hot dogs look like fingers.
- Caramel Apple Bar – You can never go wrong with a caramel apple bar! Who doesn't like homemade caramel and apples?! Give it a Halloween spin by adding fun Halloween sprinkles or candy eyes.
- Spooky Charcuterie Board – Meat, cheese, and crackers go a long way at a party! Grab all your favorite charcuterie board foods and some cheap Halloween decorations from the dollar store, then decorate that board up! You've got a quick, easy, and festive spread for your guests.
Pro Tip: Ask guests to bring food to help save time and money. Nine times out of 10, guests are more than happy to contribute. Assign different categories so you don't end up with 10 appetizers and only one dessert.
It's Halloween, so embrace it! Walmart and the dollar store always have super cheap and fun Halloween decorations. That said, don't feel like you have to spend your entire budget on it. Slowly build your stockpile if that's what works best for you. These cheap Halloween party decoration ideas are on the cheap side of life and will really take it to the next level!
- Easy Hanging Cages – You are going to flip when you see how easy it is to make these hanging cages from Amanda over at Hometalk! Grab some cheap laundry baskets, fake plastic chain, black spray paint, and spooky things to stick in the cages. This will be your go-to Halloween decor from now on!
- Caution Tape – You can always find Halloween-themed caution tape for cheap at the store this time of year! Add it to doors to easily decorate them or anywhere else around the house that needs a little extra spookiness. Store it away when you're done and you'll have free Halloween decorations for next year!
- Bug-Infested Soap – Grab some cheap plastic bugs and stick 'em in your hand soap dispensers! The creepier the bug, the better. Then wait to hear a shriek or gasp anytime your guests wash their hands. 😉
- Creepy Face Balloons – These are a quick and easy way to get some decorations up without spending too much time, effort, or money! Grab some balloons and blow them up or use a small helium tank if you've got one. Then, draw creepy faces (think Jack-o'-lantern) and hang them around the house. If you have white balloons and white streamers, make balloon ghosts! Hang the streamers from the bottom of the balloons and draw a ghost face.
- Milk Jug Ghost Lanterns – Don't throw out your plastic milk jugs! Remove the stickers, draw a face with a permanent marker, cut a hole in the back, and add in battery-powered lights. You could also use glow sticks to light them up. This is easily one of our favorite Halloween party decoration ideas and is great for inside or out.
Pretty simple, right? That's the name of the game around here. Start thinking about Halloween during the summer and you'll be able to slowly buy what you need. Get the whole family involved and it'll make decorating fun and enjoyable!
Alright, well there you have it! Our favorite cheap and easy Halloween party ideas on a budget. What's your must-have Halloween party element? Let us know in the comments below so we can all get some good ideas!
Looking for more spooky fun?
- Tired of spending your whole paycheck on Halloween candy? Then it's time to start finding it for a deal!
- Save that leftover Halloween candy then turn it into something new!
- Don't throw that leftover party food out… Reuse it and get the most out of your money!
Have a scary good time!