Looking for a FOOLPROOF homemade salsa recipe? It's not only out-of-this-WORLD good (Bubba says it's better than restaurant salsa, which is saying a lot…) but it's embarrassingly easy. All you need is a blender!
There is just nothing better than a bag of crisp tortilla chips and fresh, homemade salsa. Mhmmm. The original salsa recipe is made from canned tomatoes, but I've also used fresh tomatoes instead, and it's just as easy and delicious! I have my ah-mazing friend, Tiff, to thank for this recipe! Thanks, girl!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
I have really come to appreciate the years when I've had a garden. It’s a great way to eat fresh food and save money at the same time… Plus, it's the perfect set-up for a batch of quick homemade salsa. Either way, whether you use canned tomatoes or fresh, the ability to whip up a batch of quick salsa without going to the store is the epitome of what glorious shelf cooking is all about!
A FEW SALSA RECIPE TIPS
- If you're using fresh tomatoes, gather all that you have from the garden and fridge that need to be used up.
- Make sure you give them a really good washing before using.
- If you don't have any fresh tomatoes to use up, grab those canned tomatoes!
- Gather all other ingredients and start prepping.
- Make sure you cut the stems off the tomatoes if you're using fresh. You don't want those in there!
- Once you've washed, cut, and prepped your ingredients, toss them in and blend them up.
- If you prefer a thinner consistency for salsa, blend at a steady rate.
- If you prefer your homemade salsa chunky, pulse that baby a few times until it's juuuuust right. Of course, you HAVE to test with a chip just to be sure! 😉
EASY BLENDER HOMEMADE SALSA RECIPE
We've already discussed how insanely delicious this salsa recipe is, now let's talk about how EASY it is to make! Just gather your ingredients, toss into a blender, and voila—beautiful homemade salsa for the win! It really is that simple.
The BEST Homemade Salsa Recipe
- 1 28-oz can Whole Tomatoes
- 4 10-oz cans Rotel
- 1 Jalapeno (seeded to remove heat)
- ½ Onion
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- ½ tsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Sugar
- 1 Lime (juice only)
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Pulse ingredients in a blender or food processor until you get the consistency you prefer.
- Chill if desired and ENJOY!
HOW TO FREEZE IT
One of the best things about this homemade salsa recipe is how much it makes! Before it goes bad, divide it into mason jars to freeze for a later date. If you freeze in jars, opt for the wide-neck jars or give plenty of headspace in the narrow neck jars to allow for expansion (because they WILL break if you don't)!
Salsa is just one of those things that freezes so nicely! If you don't have the freezer space, you could also use a pressure canner to preserve the jars so they are shelf-stable. Either way, don't let it go to waste!
Now that you know how to make salsa at home, you'll always have “fresh” homemade salsa at your fingertips. Hope you enjoy this easy peasy homemade salsa recipe as much as we do!
Have you checked out ShelfCooking.com yet? Our brand new site is dedicated to helping you cook delicious, nutritious, and budget-friendly meals for your family without spending all your time in the kitchen!
Basically every parent's dream, right? Join our Shelf Cooking Community today!
Looking for other helpful posts?
- Check out how I make my meal plan and grocery haul for a family of EIGHT!
- Need a dinner to go with that homemade salsa? Try this delicious and easy taco soup recipe!
- Find out what to buy from Costco that will actually save you money (and what NOT to buy)!
Happy salsa making!