Summertime is the best time, and the longer days mean more time to enjoy it. Use our summer hacks to make your life easier so you can truly be in the moment and have the best. summer. EVER!
“Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer…” Sing it, Nat King Cole! He definitely knew what he was talking about. Summer can be both lazy and crazy all at the same time. You know we are all about those summer life hacks to make those long days run smoother! So much so, we decided to bring you even more.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
We're talking our favorite summer hacks, including all things pool, beach, cookouts, and more! You probably already know some of these great warm-weather ideas, but we bet there are a few you haven't ever heard of before, too. So what are you waiting for? Let's dive on in, the water is great! 😉
SUMMER COOKOUT & PICNIC HACKS
It's always so fun to get outside during the summer! Especially when it means you can take your food outside to eat. (Three cheers for not having to sweep the crumbs up off the floor!) We love to throw a fun outdoor party, and you can never go wrong with a good, old-fashioned picnic! Here are some of our best summer hacks to make your time spent eating outdoors easier:
- Make your own bug spray, and use our list of natural bug repellents to keep the annoying bugs away!
- Put cupcake liners over drinks to keep the bugs out. You can easily poke a hole in the top to slide your straw through if you're using one.
- You can also put silicone cupcake liners on popsicles to catch any drips!
- Use Command velcro strips to secure all table cloths. It's the perfect way to keep the wind from blowing them around or a cute kid from pulling them off.
- Make your own firestarter log out of an empty toilet paper or paper towel roll and dryer lint (remember how we save our dryer lint in our laundry hacks post?). Just stuff the roll with the lint and it's ready to light that fire!
- Add charcoal to a cardboard egg carton and you've got an easy way to start the grill!
- Rub half an onion over your grill to clean it and make it nonstick.
- Make foil packs to easily steam veggies on the grill. You can also throw the smaller meats that may slip through the grates in them, such as sliced or diced meat or shrimp.
- When you're done grilling, add sage to the fire. The scent and smoke will keep the pesky bugs away!
- Use a baby pool to keep your food at the proper temperature! Fill ‘er up with ice and put your refrigerated foods on top. Keep it in the shade and it'll stay cool long enough for everybody to fill up!
- Use frozen water balloons inside of a large bin to keep your drinks cold. Once they've thawed completely, have a water balloon fight!
- Make salads in a jar for a quick and easy side. You can also make them in plastic cups with a lid. Stick a fork in the straw hole and you've got a convenient grab-and-go salad!
- Use a muffin tin or veggie tray dish as a condiment tray! Put a spoon in each hole so people can easily serve themselves.
Pro Tip: Hit up the dollar store for all of your outdoor eating needs! Their plastic shower caddies are a cheap and easy way to store your utensils and napkins. Just throw them in a plastic cup and stand the cups up in the caddy to keep everything separate.
SUMMER CAR BAG HACKS
It's always good to be prepared, especially if it's a season where you're going all the time. You never know when a scrape is going to happen at the park, or when you'll come across a splash pad that you weren't expecting. When you keep a summer essentials bag in your car, you know you'll always have everything you need!
Want one of our biggest tips? Keep plenty of snacks that won't melt in the car! Nutrigrain bars, nuts, and dried fruit are always a good choice. It's the perfect way to keep everybody happy, from the hungry toddler to the ravenous teenager, to the mom and dad who just need something to help power them through the rest of the day.
Let's take to the sand! A lake or ocean beach is always a fun place to be, whether it's just for the day or for the week. Use all of these beachy summer hacks to make your time easy and breezy.
- Keep baby powder in your beach bag! It gets sand off easily. All you have to do is shake it over the sandy parts of your skin and the sand brushes right off.
- Store your valuables in something that nobody would think to look in! A clean diaper, an old chip canister, or even an old peanut butter jar which would keep your valuables dry.
- Turn a fitted sheet into a sand-free area! Put four large items in the corners, such as a beach bag or cooler, then pull the sides up until they're taut and standing up. It makes a great barrier and keeps sand from blowing on your beach towel or food!
- Chill your aloe vera for soothing sunburn relief. You can even freeze it in an ice cube tray!
- Freeze water or Gatorade bottles to use as ice packs for your cooler. They'll keep everything else cold, and as they melt, they'll turn into a cool drink for you! You can use your reusable water bottles for this as well!
- Use a mesh laundry bag for sandy toys. You can easily rinse the entire bag when you're done playing and it'll get all the sand off.
- Set up a tent or big umbrella to give everybody some shade when they need it. It's a good idea for those days when you're planning on spending all day at the beach!
- Bring an inflatable baby pool with you for your littles who aren't big enough to play in the ocean. You can put toys in with them, and it's a great way to keep them in a sand-free zone! Keep it in the shade to keep them from getting too hot or sunburnt. (Don't forget to bring an air pump so you don't have to blow it up by mouth!)
Pro Tip: If you have a collapsible wagon, fill that baby up to make your trek to and from the beach easier! It's a nice way to carry all the things, including kids and coolers.
SUMMER POOL HACKS
Ahhhhh, the pool. It's always a fun way to soak up the sun and stay cool while you're at it. Whether you've got a pool at your house or you like to spend time at the local water park, we've rounded up the best pool hacks that will rock your world this summer!
Some of our favorite tips include using pool noodles since they're so cheap and so versatile. You can make a raft that you don't have to worry about blowing up every time you want to float. You can also make fun and cheap water games out of them! The ideas are endless, really.
MAKE MORE TIME FOR FUN
Sometimes, we want to do all the fun things, but it's just so hard to fit it into your busy schedule with everything else that you have to do. Don't let those boring, but necessary, things get in the way anymore. (We're looking at you, house chores!) Let Productivity Boot Camp help you conquer your day so you can have more time for the fun! Check out how it'll change your life for good.
That's just about the most amazing thing you've ever heard, right?! Let us help you conquer your pain points and knock 'em to the curb. Use the code FCFBLOG to get 10% off at discount, just because!
Alright, well there you have it! We hope these summer hacks have changed your world as much as they have ours. Is there anything else you'd add to the list? Share them with us in the comments!
Looking for more fun things to do this summer?