Date nights are SO important, but it's easy to get stuck in a rut. Ready to have some fun? These creative spring date ideas are cheap, easy, and sure to help you and your sweetie keep the love alive!
We are HUGE proponents of actively dating your spouse. It's one of the top pieces of marriage advice we share with couples. Setting aside time to spend together is the key to keeping that spark alive and your relationship strong.
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
But making time for regular dates isn't always simple. We get it. You've got chores to do. Kids to feed. Emails to send. The list goes on and on! Here's the thing: planning dates doesn't have to require much effort or money. We've even done the hard work for you! Keep on reading for our favorite creative spring date ideas.
SPRING DATE IDEAS AT HOME
We love getting glam just as much as the next gal, but there's something to be said for enjoying a nice night IN! Before you turn on Netflix and scroll through your phone or fall asleep (guilty!), try one of these creative ideas.
Is the weather still chilly where you are? Allergies a bummer? No problem! Here are six fun ways to connect with your honey inside:
- Game Night – Break out a deck of cards or start a round of Scrabble or Yahtzee! A little friendly competition is a perfect way to unplug and enjoy each others' company.
- Take a Virtual Class – Get your geek on and learn something new together! There are TONS of free courses on YouTube. Learn how to cook, sing, dance, you name it. Take turns picking a new class each month.
- Start Your Own Book Club – Reading is fun when you do it together. Pick a book to read before bed each night, and then discuss!
- Paint by Number – Want to get crafty? Paint by number projects are the best! We're obsessed. And you can buy them on Amazon for like $10. Cheap date night, for the win!
- Tackle a DIY Project – You know those home improvement projects you've wanted to tackle for years? Pick a small one and do it together! Play some fun music and enjoy the sweet feeling of accomplishment when you're done. It's the best way to bond!
- Plan Your Next Vacation – Set aside some time to research, budget for, and book your next big getaway.
Want to move date night outside? We have some creative backyard ideas, too!
TAKE THE DATE TO THE BACKYARD
Get out of the house and have a great time without ever leaving your neighborhood! Here are a few backyard date ideas:
- Start a Garden – Get those hands dirty and enjoy the warmer weather!
- Take Movie Night Outside – No, you don't need one of those fancy screens to make this happen! Just use your phone, tablet, or laptop. Set up a blanket and some pillows and enjoy cozying up to your favorite show or movie.
- Grill Out – Grab your favorite meat and veggies and make dinner together. Springtime is perfect for grilling!
- Dance Under the Stars – Make a fun or romantic playlist and enjoy your own private dance party!
- Camp Out – Enjoy a staycation without spending a dime! Pitch a tent and sleep in the great outdoors.
- Host a Backyard Olympics – Want to include a few friends? Here's the perfect group date! Set up your very own field day in the backyard. Trophies are optional but highly encouraged!
Now, time for the final but most important part of any date-night-in: the food! Let's do it.
FUN FOOD FOR DATE NIGHT
Food is our love language, you guys. We'd take nachos over roses any day. Hands down. Looking for some clever ways to make food the main ingredient in your next at-home date? Here you go:
- Bake Muffins – There's nothing better than fresh-out-of-oven muffins! Whip up a batch of these super simple pumpkin muffins from our Shelf Cooking site, and for a fun twist, pick a secret ingredient and host your own bake-off!
- Make Ice Cream – Usher in the warmer weather with a little ice cream! Check out this easy homemade ice cream recipe from our sister site, Shelf Cooking.
- Set Up a Caramel Apple Bar – Caramel isn't just for fall! Set up your own caramel apple bar and add all your favorite toppings.
- Breakfast for Dinner – We love making breakfast for dinner! Nothing says “I love you” quite like pancakes and bacon. Take it up a notch and have pancake design contests!
- Fondue – Don't speed a fortune at a fondue restaurant! Do it yourself at home.
- Have a Tapas Night – Need some appetizer ideas? We rounded up 21 quick and easy appetizers on our Shelf Cooking site. Make it a group date and invite over some friends, or feast on the goodness all by yourselves.
Don't those all sound like fun?!
NEED A NIGHT OUT? WE'VE GOT 6 MORE DATE IDEAS!
Sometimes you just need to get out of the house to reconnect. We get it! It's hard to unwind when there's so much to do at home. So we totally recommend getting out of the house for date night when you can. Here are a few fun spring date ideas:
- Catch a Baseball Game – Minor league games are super affordable! Get outside and enjoy cheering on your local team. If you have AAA, you can score discount tickets!
- Play Putt-Putt – Spring is the perfect time for outdoor games like mini-golf! Check Groupon for deals!
- Go Hiking or Have a Picnic- Explore some new local trails and pack a picnic for the end of your walk.
- Pick Strawberries – Find a local farm and pick your own strawberries! Use them to make chocolate covered strawberries or freezer jam.
- Attend a Local Concert – You don't have to spend the big bucks to enjoy live music! Check with your local parks and rec department to see if they host any free concerts. Churches and schools often offer free or affordable live music, too.
- Go Thrifting – Hello, spring cleaning! Gather up a few items to donate and hunt for a few new things of your own.
- Walk for Charity – Spring is the season for charity walks, and supporting causes you both care about is a great way to strengthen your relationship! Lace-up those shoes and go for it!
You get the idea, right? So many towns offer spring festivals, so take advantage of those freebies and enjoy the longer days with your sweetie.
SHARE YOUR SPRING DATE IDEAS
No matter your budget, make date night a priority! With these ideas, you have no excuse not to. So, put down the phone and enjoy some quality time together.
Do you have other fun date ideas to share? Let's hear them! Leave a comment below, or head over to our Fun Cheap or Free Facebook page.
Looking for more date night tips?
- Get glam in no time with this easy makeup routine!
- Here are 50+ ways to connect with your spouse and keep that spark alive.
- These get to know you questions will help start some fun conversations on your next date.
Have fun, you love birds!
My husband once did a moonlight picnic for me. The weather outside wasn’t picnic weather so he set out a rug on the living room floor with a picture of the moon on his laptop next to us! Creative and fun! We’ve since recommended it to friends who have enjoyed their own indoor moonlit picnics.