If any of you have followed me for a while (especially on IG stories…) then you know I LOVE a good, dramatic story.
Well, apparently, you do too!
About 6 months ago during a Q&A Tuesday live video, we shared that someone had tried to break into our house the night before. I didn't go into too much detail because, firstly, I was still pretty shaken by the whole situation. But also, because I was extremely frustrated and disappointed with our security cameras that (regardless of the fact that they were facing DIRECTLY at the perpetrator) captured NOTHING of the ordeal and left us with a lot of questions. *Enter whiny voice and foot stomping*. I knew I couldn't go into much detail at the time until I had found a security solution I felt good about sharing (since I'm VERY protective over what I promote to my Freebs family!), and promised y'all that when I DID find a solution, I would not stop until I got you the BEST deal on it.
AND I DID!
But first, the dramatic tale I PROMISED to tell you about!
Watch the video online or click and watch below, then head back here for the deal you've all been waiting for!
Pretty crazy, right??
Again, as explained in the video, I'm not typically a fear-based person, and I'm not looking to scare anyone into making any rash decisions. But, burglars aside, we love the peace of mind and close calls that our security system, cameras, smart thermostats, and doorbell camera have given us (see my additional list of stories below! You won't believe some of them…) and I'll never NOT have a security system again.
Now, here are recapped details of the exclusive Vivint Smart Home deal I snagged:
- FREE Doorbell camera! Even if this is the only camera you have around your house, it is worth it! It is valued at $230 and you can get it FREE using the code FUNDBC.
- Free activation! (We didn't get the luxury of free activation when we initially signed up, and trust me, be happy for this one.)
- Not to mention, we have our very own Freebs Customer Support Team and website, because I did NOT want you to be stuck on the phone for hours with anyone who didn't know what deal we were talking about. WOO HOO for great customer service!
- And, as a reminder, they are not just in Utah, they have nation-wide service.
Why I hunted Vivint down like a rabid dog…
It took me months (and a crazy story of how I FINALLY got in touch with the right person, and it might have involved an airport security line, believe it or not…), but here's why I was so insistent on working with Vivint on providing this deal for you:
- We have paid personally for them for years, and are currently the only security company we use. I have no intention of switching, so I can put my literal stamp of approval on their products and services, which says a lot.
- Vivint's monitoring centers provide protection with the latest technological equipment 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Control any part of your system and check up on your home right from your smart phone, computer, or tablet.
- By installing a Vivint Smart Home System, you may save on your homeowners insurance. BE SURE TO CHECK INTO THIS, Frugal Freebs!!!
- They also have smart thermostats that you can manage automatically or on the app from your phone. This has saved us so much on our utility bills, by better managing the temperature better within our house.
Now, since I didn't want my video to be 8,000 minutes long but I have SO MANY juicy stories to tell, here are a few good ones for anyone who's curious…
Additional crazy situations (too good not to share…):
- Our 5 year old pulled a dresser down on himself on accident (obviously). It was terrifying, and could have been fatal. I wasn't home, a babysitter was watching the kids, and she wasn't sure what to do and whether he was ok. I was frantically on my Nest app trying to look back at the camera footage, since he has a camera right in his room, in hopes of being able to see what had happened and if I needed to call an ambulance. I was able to watch live video and nothing else. It saved nothing of the incident, except for one still shot of him as he initially entered his room. It was extremely disappointing and THANK GOODNESS he was ok, no thanks to the camera that COULD have helped a lot.
- Bubba and I were in a different country on vacation and Bubba's parents were babysitting. Our house alarm went off at 4am, which was in the afternoon where we were, so we saw the alarm notification on our phones. THANK GOODNESS, and thank you Vivint. Our app told us that our kitchen door was open, so we flipped to our Nest camera (we hadn't switched to Vivint yet) to see what was going on. The camera didn't show us anything other than live footage of a wide open door. To this day we have no clue if someone tried to break in, or if the wind blew it open (which has happened before, and the door wasn't latched all the way, so thankfully we feel pretty confident about the wind being the culprit). Again, so frustrating though. Also, Bubba's parents never even heard the alarm because it was too far away from our bedroom and they are hard of hearing. We have since replaced our Nest cameras with Vivint (that are always recording), and have added a second panel in our bedroom so we can hear it, and control it/talk to Vivint without having to go downstairs to do so.
- A GOOD situation was just the other week. Our alarm went off, again at 4am (what is it with 4am???), telling us that our garage door had been opened. This time we weren't even freaked out, because we had everything we needed in place to make sure we were safe. We checked all our outdoor and garage cameras from the safety of our room, we had the panel right next to us so we could communicate with Vivint without having to go downstairs, and we saw that no one was nor had been around our house, and realized it was just a weird power glitch that made the door open. Had the alarm not gone off our door would have been wide open all night and we never would have known.
- Just 2 weeks ago I was out for the day and had a babysitter at home. I popped on the cameras to peek and see how things were going, and caught her, DEAD ASLEEP on our couch in the middle of the day while my baby girls were unsupervised. I was able to go back on the Vivint camera footage and see that, prior to falling asleep with my children right next to her, she had been on the couch on her phone for HOURS. You better believe she won't be coming back. I never would have known; she was a favorite babysitter of my kids, and my babies (of course) never said a thing about it.
- One time I was held up in traffic and Priya beat me home. I was so worried about her being on my porch by herself for 15 minutes in the cold. Luckily I saw her on my doorbell camera, talked to her through it and explained I was on my way home, unlocked the front door for her from my Vivint app, locked it back up when she went inside, then talked with her on the various house cameras (which are two-way), asking her all about her day and even had her show me her homework to keep her occupied (and safe) until I got home.
- One time we were on a date and our babysitter texted me in a panic because she was upstairs checking on the sleeping kids, and heard noises on our main floor. We had her lock herself into our bedroom, and Bubba got on our cameras on our Vivint app, while I had the phone primed and ready to immediately issue the police (another perk of the app). He checked all the footage and realized it was just the dog that had knocked something over. It felt so nice to be able to be able to keep our kids (and poor babysitter!) safe while away.
- Don't even get me started with benefits of our security system when Bubba is out of town and I'm freaked out in our house by myself…
Too many situations to count, I'm just grateful for the peace of mind and confidence.
So there you go!
There are my crazy stories, and the hope that this one post and video helps SOMEONE, somewhere, prevent a potentially scary situation. Either way, hopefully it appeased your curiosity about what happened that night.
Either way, stay safe out there, Freebs!!
Ps…Robbers, if you're reading this, don't even bother coming to the Page household. We are locked and loaded, more prepared than Macaulay Culkin. Go waste your time on someone else.