I've posted before about how expensive brand new children's books can be (especially hard-backs!), and how buying them at thrift stores and/or your local library is a great way to get fabulous books for cheap (HERE for example). Well, here's a tip to take your used books to the next level!
I went to a thrift store the other day and walked out with a load of books. Many of them were – literally – brand new, the spines never bent before. It's crazy-sauce, folks!
Regardless of the size, they are all $0.50. I even got some huge books that play music or have pop-up pages. They are a ton of fun!…until my baby rips off a pop-up (all the more reason to buy used, right?!)…
Some of them weren't in the best shape. Take this one for example:
It has a small imperfection on the cover, but the pages and rest of the book are in mint condition so it's far worth the $0.50 in my book. Kids thrash their loved books so I figure it will fit right in 😉
My son's library is really stacking up…and he's barely 9 months old!
Take advantage of these books for yourself, and remember that they make GREAT gifts! One of my best friends' sons turned one the other day so I made him this “insta-library” basket:
Unfortunately I took these pictures a few days before the basket was finished, I forgot to take a final product picture! Doh! You get the idea though. I stuffed it with even more books and toys and tied it with a cute ribbon. It was the hit of the party.
The end result: 17 books, 1 peg puzzle, an educational Leapfrog toy, and a CD with 3 baby movies on it. The books were really cool. Lots of pop-up books, board-books, and books with moving parts.
The Gift Basket Breakdown:
- 17 Books: Most from thrift stores. Each book averaged about $0.50.
- 1 Basket: $3.99, thrift store
- 1 educational Leapfrog toy: $1, thrift store
- 1 baby DVD: I bought 3 Sesame Street and Barney VHS tapes. I used my cheap VHS/DVD burner combo and burned them to a cute DVD for her, made a copy for my baby, and will donate the VHS tapes them back to a thrift store.
- 1 Puzzle: $2.50 new from Target.
- Ribbon: I wrapped the basket in cute blue/white polka dot ribbon (free from my house) and stuffed the basket with matching tissue paper (free also)