Make the most of the warm weather and sunshine this year and get outside. These fun outdoor activities will keep you busy making memories with your family all season long!
Getting outside is good for your mental health, physical health and relationship health! Soak in that vitamin D and strengthen your family bond with laughter and fun. Best part? Most of these fun outdoor activities are super cheap and some are even FREE!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Whether you want to relax in a hammock with a good book or get your heart racing with an invigorating hike through the woods, there's an activity on this list for you. Let the kid in you come out with these fun and exciting outdoor activities for the whole family!
OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES TO DO AT HOME
You don't even have to leave your house for these fun outdoor activities!
Get outside and smell the fresh air right in your own backyard.
- Scavenger Hunt – For kids and adults, alike.
- Giant Jenga – The anticipation of watching it fall is just. too. much!
- Picnic Meal on the Patio – Make an easy picnic meal to eat outside or order takeout and eliminate the mess in the kitchen.
- Backyard Campout – Grab a tent and go camping right in your own backyard!
- Plant a Garden – Flowers or vegetables.
- Outdoor Virtual Dance Lessons – Learn from a Youtube video. Make it a family affair and record a keepsake of your new skills!
- Read a Book – Take this indoor activity outside for some relaxing vitamin D. Bonus points if you read in a hammock.
- Yard Yahtzee – A classic game—yard sized.
- Karaoke – Tell your neighbors we said sorry! 😉
- Movie Night – Grab the iPad or the laptop for an under the stars movie night.
There are so many things you can do right outside your own home. Try taking some of your favorite at-home activities and moving them outside for an extra special twist!
FUN OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES TO DO ON THE TOWN
Not only can you get outside to enjoy the weather in your own backyard, you can soak in the sunshine right in the middle of town as well! If you find yourself distanced from nature geographically, try these outdoor activities to get your fresh-air fix!
- Find a Zoo – No it's not exactly how nature intended it… but it's incredible to see wildlife right in the middle of a city!
- Find an Outdoor Concert – Spend the evening with your family under the stars.
- Choose the Patio – When you visit a restaurant, skip the inside dining and choose the patio. Trust us, it's awesome!
- Go to a Ball Game – There are tons of sport arena that are open-air. Baseball is a great option! Choose a little league or minor league game to save some cash.
- Find a Park – Play disc golf or kick around a soccer ball.
- Geocaching – A family favorite!
- Peddle Boating – Many local city ponds and lakes offer peddle boat rentals.
- Find a Farmers Market – You may even find a great deal on some local produce!
These outdoor activities on the town are perfect for those days when you just need to get out!
GET OFF THE BEATEN PATH
Looking for a way to dive into nature a little off the beaten path? Try these fun outdoor activities!
- Go for a Hike – It's good for the body and the mind.
- Bird Watching – Look up birds in your area and see if you can find them. Grab a pair of cheap binoculars to make it more fun!
- Swim at a Lake – Take a picnic lunch, too!
- Make Land Art – Find things in nature and make a collage on the ground together. Take a picture to commemorate it, but leave nature where it belongs!
- Find a Wild Animal – Go for a trail walk in the woods and see who can spot a wild animal first. Sorry, but squirrels don't count!
- Feed the Ducks – Find some ducks and toss them some food that's safe for them to eat!
Let your wild side out with these fun, nature-loving outdoor activities!
OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS
These outdoor activities are specifically for kids. But don't worry—we won't tell anyone if you enjoy them just as much as they do!
- Homemade Sidewalk Paint – Get the recipe here!
- Sidewalk Chalk Obstacle Course – Draw a fun obstacle course with circles to jump into, lines to hop over and lots more!
- Giant Bubbles – These are sooo fun.
- Water Fights – Use water balloons, water guns or just grab the hose!
- Stomp Rockets – These are a blast but make sure you have lots of space because they fly far.
- Backyard Disc Golf – Set up a bucket for a make-shift basket.
- Bump N Bounce – These blow-up body suits are so much fun and they are so affordable! You're guaranteed lots of laughs with these.
- Water Balloon Tag – Think tag and dodgeball, all in one!
- Treasure Hunt – Hide a treasure in the yard and give them a map with clues to find it.
- Bubble Art – Add food dye to bubble solution and you have bubble art! Blow the bubbles into paper to make fun designs.
These outdoor activities are sure to get the whole family excited and enjoying the fresh air and sunshine. Don't forget the sunscreen and your summer essentials bag! What is your favorite outdoor activity to do with your family? Share with us in the comments below!
Looking for more helpful posts?
- Check out these 6 family night competitions you can start with your family right now!
- Try these fun movement activities with your kids and help them get all that energy out!
- Looking for more fun things to do with your kids this summer? Check out this list of 100 things they'll love!