Knowledge is power. The perfect way to identify a good deal is to know how much things cost… introducing the price notebook—track the best prices on your groceries so you always know when you're getting a good deal. Let's show you how it works!
My price notebook saves me so much money I felt that I had to share how this little notebook works. By taking note of the best price of an item, it helps you know when something is truly a good deal, which will help you save big money on your groceries each month! And as you all know, groceries are one of the biggest costs that families face each month… boy, do I have some tips for grocery shopping!
If you're here, you're probably looking to cut your grocery bill down a bit, so let me share a few of my best grocery shopping tips with you from the good ol' YouTube!
- Grocery Shopping Hacks! – Labels, brands, bulk deals, & more!
- Grocery Shopping Hacks! Save BIG money (no coupons!) + How I grocery shop!
- How much to spend on groceries! – How to cut your food bill in half!
While you're at it, check out one of my favorite meal planning videos! Planning is half the battle and we believe it makes a big difference in saving money and making sure nothing goes to waste!
THE VALUE OF A PRICE NOTEBOOK
I've mentioned that I keep my price notebook on-hand at all times. Let me tell you, this is an absolute life saver! If an item doesn't have a big “sale” or “clearance” tag on it, how do you know if it's reasonably priced? Sometimes it's tricky to keep all of the “good prices” straight in your head. It seems like milk prices, chicken prices, and even toilet paper prices are constantly changing. And let's face it, we've all got more to worry about than the price of chicken, right?!
Years ago, I found the solution to this dilemma, and I like to call it my price notebook. I keep it in my purse so I always have it when I hit the grocery store. And now you can make your very own! It's so easy. Are you ready to get started?!
GROCERY SHOPPING PRICE TRACKER
Grab a small, sturdy, cheap, flexible, cute notebook (yes, it must be cute). Use your notebook to start a running list of the grocery items you buy most often. Then, next to each of those items, jot down the price you usually pay. This helps you set a base point for each item.
Got that list ready to go? Start shopping with it! When you're at the store, and you see something below the price listed in your notebook, you know you've found a good deal (score!), and it's safe to stock up on it. Buying extras when your favorite items are on sale will help you save HALF on your grocery bills each month! Seriously.
As you get in the habit of shopping this way, you'll learn more and more about prices, and you'll be able to snag all of the good deals! (Cue the happy dancing)
HOW TO USE YOUR PRICE NOTEBOOK
I use a simple four-step system to keep my price notebook organized, and let me tell you. It works! So, I encourage you to give it a try. Once you start implementing these steps, you'll be well on your way to saving TONS of money on your groceries.
- Note the Unit – If it's per pound, write it. If it's per item, write it. If it's a particular type of apple or pear, write it. The more specific you can be, the better. You don't want to compare apples to oranges!
- Always Keep the Best Price – If you write down a price but come across a better price in the future, update your notebook with the better price. I do that ALL the time.
- Keep It Up To Date – Prices constantly change based on what's in season, where you live and shop, etc. Even if you've memorized the price from buying it so often, always be aware of price changes.
- Include Specific Details – We use a lot of Downy Softener, so I have that item in my notebook and have specified that it's liquid AND how many loads it can wash. It takes hardly any time to do this, but it will make all the difference in the world! Pay attention to the cost per load, ounce, etc.. You might be surprised!
That's it! Easy enough, huh? I promise you, if you keep a price notebook on hand, you will save your family thousands of dollars over time. Truly hope this helps! Knowledge is power, so KNOW YOUR PRICES! Try it and let me know how it goes, okay?
Give it a try and let me know how it goes!