Stop staying up late only to wake up exhausted, feeling like you have SO much to do and so little energy to do it! Learn how getting more sleep can actually help you be more productive and get more done!
Are you suffering from chronic sleep deprivation that is leaving you irritable and unable to focus on the task at hand? Do you require LOTS of caffeine just to keep you going throughout the day? Well, that used to be us… until we learned just how important getting the right amount of sleep is!
*Note: When you click the links in this post, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
Stop pulling late nights (or all nighters!!) thinking that's the only chance you'll have to get work done and start prioritizing sleep! We know, it sounds so counterproductive, right!? Well it's NOT! We'll show you how implementing these beneficial sleep habits and getting the right amount of sleep can actually help you be more productive and get more accomplished in less time!!
Now, take a deep breath and keep on reading!
IMPORTANCE OF GETTING ENOUGH SLEEP
It is estimated that about 1 in 3 adults in America are not getting adequate sleep at night! Although the National Health Institute says adults need at least 7-8 hours of sleep a night, almost 40% of Americans are sleeping less than 6 hours a night. Holy sleep epidemic!!
It hasn't always been this way, though. Back in the early 1900s, people were reportedly getting about 9 hours of sleep a night. Why the change, you ask? It's modern technologies (hello, lightbulb!) that allow us to forgo nighttime and trick our bodies into thinking it is still time to work.
While technology can be a blessing and make our lives so much more convenient—these modern-day routines do not come without consequence! In fact, not getting enough sleep has an immediate and long-term affect on your hormones and your overall health. Poor sleep habits have been linked to obesity and increased disease risk in both adults and kids… not to mention lack of sleep causes irritability, brain fog and loss of focus. No, thank you!!
HOW TO GET MORE DEEP SLEEP
Stop letting artificial light rule your life and start gaining back a normal circadian rhythm that will help you to feel rested in your body AND your brain. These tips will help you feel better and allow you to become more productive and energetic than you ever though possible!
- Create A Consistent Routine – In order to establish a circadian rhythm (basically your brain's internal clock), try to go to bed and wake up at the same time each day. Check out my nighttime routine hacks and see how I manage my nighttime routine with kids!
- Avoid Afternoon Caffeine – A quick jolt in the morning is fine, but anything in the afternoon may inhibit sleep.
- No Napping After 3pm – Cat naps can be great, but keep them short and sweet and always before 3pm!
- Exercise Regularly – Fit some physical activity in your day—just not right before bed! Working out at night can stimulate your body and mind and make falling asleep more difficult.
- Increase Bright Light Exposure During the Day – Try to get 1-2 hours of solid bright light exposure a day. This helps to further establish circadian rhythm and lets our bodies know when it's time to be awake and when it's time to rest. Soak up some sun and get that Vitamin D as a bonus!
- Create a Calming Environment – Could there be a better excuse to redecorate your bedroom? We think not!
- Get a Comfortable Mattress – Did you know that it's actually necessary to replace your mattress every 7-10 years? An uncomfortable or worn out mattress will cause you to either wake up often or wake up SORE! If you're in the market for one, we LOVE our Purple mattress!
Block sleep in your schedule just like any other task you have so you'll remember its importance! It is NOT something we fit in when we have time—it's a crucial key to health, wellness and productivity!
PREPARING FOR BED
There are plenty of things you can change throughout your day to encourage better rest and more sleep, but there are also a few things you can do right before bedtime to help you wind down and prepare your body for sleep!
- Turn Down the Temperature – Sleeping in a comfortably cool room helps to boost melatonin!
- Turn Off the Screens – The blue light emitted by screens and LED electronics actually signals to our brains that it's daytime and halts the production of melatonin. No good! Put the screens away at least an hour before bed or invest in some blue light glasses!
- Create a Pre-Sleep Routine – Get ready with your spouse at night and create a calming pre-bedtime routine. Put away all screens and turn down the lights for some relaxing pillow-talk!
- Take A Relaxing Bath – There is nothing like soaking in a warm bubble bath to relieve your stress from the day and prepare you for bed. Trying to save money on your water bill? Take a warm, relaxing shower instead!
- Clear Your Mind – If you find yourself with a million to-dos racing around your head—write them down! It's amazing how effective it can be to physically offload those burdens onto a piece of paper.
- Supplement Melatonin – If you cannot seem to fall asleep on your own, try supplementing with melatonin. This naturally occurring hormone can help you fall asleep, but be careful not to take too much or your body will stop producing its own!
Only you know what truly relaxes your body and mind. Whatever that is… do it! The point here is to make yourself as comfortable as possible and to allow your body to fall into a state of rest. And hey… if that means counting sheep—count away!!
HOW POOR SLEEP AFFECTS PRODUCTIVITY
We know life can get crazy and sometimes you have to stay up late to get work done. It's just inevitable at times! Try really hard to make that the exception and not the norm! Not getting the recommended 7-8 hours of sleep a night causes your brain to literally function poorly, causing your awake hours to be less efficient and less productive.
PRODUCTIVITY BOOT CAMP
If you've looking for ways that you can reach your most productive self possible, then it's your lucky day! You need to stop what you're doing right now and go check out our Productivity Boot Camp program!
It's a really fun online video program that will help you to find your pain points and crush them, so that you can reach your productivity goals. You'll find the time that you need to get things done, freeing up more time to do the things that you love! Use the code FCFBLOG for 10% off, just because!
Use these helpful tips to get better sleep and we promise you'll be happier, healthier and you'll get WAY MORE DONE! Now, let's go catch some ZZZZZZs!
Looking for other ways to improve your health and become your best, most productive self!? Check out these other posts!